Do I upgrade or do i wait?

Soldato
what spec GPU? and what res do you game at

yes 100% some game love it and some dont. in squads i got a big jump but when you worked it out it was only 15%. that is still a good just but if you want more. and you can budget the cost do it is all im saying
4070, 1440p and 4K as I use my TV for couch gaming. That said, literally nothing I play on the TV requires a lot of power so is hardly relevant.

The biggest increase was in minimum frames, but pretty much anything UE5 based as well as Dying Light 2 saw massive general uplift over my 3700X. The mins and general consistency are where the real gains were, and while I mainly play single player games those are even more noticeable in multi. The OP playing Warzone with dips is almost certainly related to his CPU as an example.

Soldato
well that the same as a 3090... so yes your upgrade feel would have been a lot bigger than a 3080
your comparing you spec to his and saying the upgrade will be bigger, when you will have had a much bigger bottleneck then him.

like i said, i have the same GPU and found it to be 10-15% at best. and in some games 0%
i also tested with a 6950XT and found it to be about the same as what you said

Last edited:
Soldato
well that the same as a 3090... so yes your upgrade feel would have been a lot bigger than a 3080
your comparing you spec to his and saying the upgrade will be bigger, when you will have had a much bigger bottleneck then him.

like i said, i have the same GPU and found it to be 10-15% at best. and in some games 0%
i also tested with a 6950XT and found it to be about the same as what you said

My 4070 is not a super, it's actually a little slower on average than a 3080 unless factoring in DLSS and the like.

Odd that you'd see better gains on a faster AMD card when they already have less driver overhead.

Last edited:
Associate
My 4070 is not a super, it's actually a little slower on average than a 3080 unless factoring in DLSS and the like.

Odd that you'd see better gains on a faster AMD card when they already have less driver overhead.
I'd call it a tie, at 1440 on average it's ahead of the 3080, at 4k, it's a couple frames behind. and playing at 1440 ultrawide, am guessing dlss will be a must, because you'll be gpu bottlenecked

seperately, Warzone...downloaded on steam as said free, but can't find any game i can play without buying for £40 odd. I take it it's not like fortnite where you can play for free and then spend money on cosmetics etc???
...in which case I wont be seeing how it does as not really a game I'd be playing. Last purchase is AvatarFOP, and mainly play grounded or sea of thieves with my youngest son through gamepass ultimate, and have to have 2 of those, so not splashing anymore cash

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd call it a tie, at 1440 on average it's ahead of the 3080, at 4k, it's a couple frames behind. and playing at 1440 ultrawide, am guessing dlss will be a must, because you'll be gpu bottlenecked

seperately, Warzone...downloaded on steam as said free, but can't find any game i can play without buying for £40 odd. I take it it's not like fortnite where you can play for free and then spend money on cosmetics etc???
...in which case I wont be seeing how it does as not really a game I'd be playing. Last purchase is AvatarFOP, and mainly play grounded or sea of thieves with my youngest son through gamepass ultimate, and have to have 2 of those, so not splashing anymore cash
You can definitely play for free. However the multiplayer mode isn't, you need to select warzone

Associate
You can definitely play for free. However the multiplayer mode isn't, you need to select warzone
ok, took a little time to get afterburner set up, but got there in the end.
So played 1 game. I resized the game for 21:9 aspect ratio to get to 1440P ultrawide resolution. Had dlss on and set to recommended
Admittedly I'm using a 3070ti, not a 3080 but got the following

GPU useage 99%
gpu clock 9502 Mhz
gpu temp 48 degrees
7800x3d useage 28%
cpu clock 4825 Mhz
Ram useage 15732 MB
FPS Max 137FPS
FPS MIN 98 FPS (don't quite get this)
FPS 1% low 77 FPS
FPS 0.1% low 41 FPS
FPS AV 114 FPS

So all that tells me is I'm gpu bottlenecked and it's a waste of time having this cpu paired with the gpu. Might as well just have a 7600. Mind you when I bought it at launch for £450, I wasn't planning on using the 3070ti but there you go. GPU prices not really come down that much and so waiting for 5000 series now. Hopefully price/performance is better..

edit, got image
phhF0oCb.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OK so I went for it an got a 5800x3d.
The first thing I've noticed is wow the temps, cpu at 80deg in warzone. I'm reading that's normal with this cache?

Secondly, I've seen a 10-15 fps increase but the feel and smoothness of the game has increased dramatically, as in I can really feel it and it makes hitting targets so much easier.

So would say for the price, and the fact I just drop the cpu in that has been a great upgrade to the machine. The only downside is the noise from my fans as it seems both the aio and gpu are going ful whack

So thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated

Man of Honour
The first thing I've noticed is wow the temps, cpu at 80deg in warzone. I'm reading that's normal with this cache?
yes it's normal. nothing to worry about

Secondly, I've seen a 10-15 fps increase but the feel and smoothness of the game has increased dramatically, as in I can really feel it and it makes hitting targets so much easier.
i'd hate to say that @Gray2233 and i told you so...
...but, we told you so :p

So would say for the price, and the fact I just drop the cpu in that has been a great upgrade to the machine. The only downside is the noise from my fans as it seems both the aio and gpu are going ful whack
yeah with the x3d chips will need to do a custom fan curve, enjoy the new buttery smooth gaming :)

Soldato

With the faster CPU you’re now leaning a lot more on the GPU and demanding more performance from it. The drawback is the GPU will pull more power and produce more heat to deliver the extra performance. The extra heat being dumped into the case is probably having an effect on the whole system.

Soldato

Excellent.

What CPU cooler do you have? Your CPU will benefit from a good cooler but 80 degrees is nothing to worry about. You mention an AIO so if it's a 240mm or larger you might want to weigh it to check for fluid loss.

What you're seeing is because the lows are much higher and less frequent.

Enjoy!

Soldato

Told you so! :D

Glad it's helped mate, as for temps/heat related issues take a look at this:

Start with -10 and then push to -20 if possible, you should see a healthy drop in temperatures and more consistent clocks for a bit of a performance bump.

Back
Top Bottom