Does anyone have a favourite airline?

Soldato
I'll never fly BA again.

Virgin stock is dated but I make 4-5k airmiles a month with them so I tend to use them for long haul if available. Just booked 2 upper class flights to NYC and back for my birthday which only cost taxes, so about £1800. If I don't want to splash out then premium economy makes all the difference for the extra couple of quid. Again, I will mostly use airmiles.

Otherwise Emirates/Singapore for long haul.

Short haul I guess it doesn't really matter. Jet2 have been fine the last few times I used them. easyJet fine, TUI fine. Not much to compare. Trying KLM for the first time in a couple of months so maybe that will shake things up a bit?

Man of Honour
I've flown with so many airlines, mostly short haul. Olympic, Cyprus Airways, BA, Baltic, LOT, Austrian, TUi (and Britannia and Thomsonfly), easyJet, RyanAir, Monarch, Martinair, KLM, FlyBe, BMI, Wizz, Thai, Emirates, FlyDubai, Lufthansa, Etihad, China Eastern, China Southern, EgyptAir, Eurowings, Balkan, probably a few more..... Emirates would be my favourite, though I did have a disappointing experience with them recently where other than a light breakfast we were basically uncatered, and the cabin crew were nowhere to be seen for hours on end.

I'd happily pay not to use FlyDubai again, that was not a pleasant flight at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
BA have to be amongst the worst, I've always had an issue of some sort with them. You sort of expect it with a cheaper company where they cut corners but not when you've paid good money.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone but Korean Air is fine.

I'd booked flights a year in advance to go to Japan. Got to the gate and they flatly refused to let me board as I couldn't present the card I'd used to buy the tickets. It had expired in the meantime.

I had to either cancel my holiday or buy tickets again and try to claim it back. It took six months of grief to get the refund.

**** Korean Air.
Why on earth would they ask to see your card at this stage?

For me I’ve enjoyed using Emirates, JAL & Cathay. BA does the job but still miles behind the others imo

Last edited:
Associate
Few for me:

Singapore
Emirates
Lufthansa

I could also throw KLM in there, but that's more to do with having Schipol and its lounges rather than the airline itself, ok in itself but certainly behind when it comes to some inflight business class experiences available today.

Worst, few choices here, forgiving budget airlines and only looking at major international couriers, I'd say:

BA
Air France
TAAG
Air China
Qantas

Had multiple bad experiences with them all, Air France probably taking the top prize here, plus Charles De Gaule as an Airport is a hell hole.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've had good experiences with KLM so far, don't have much experience with the airlines which are of more Eastern origin. My experiences with the likes of BA and Virgin have not been great - staff who just couldn't give a **** and aircraft which have seen better days. Everything else has been much of a muchness.

Something I find amusing - almost every time my sister goes on holiday the airline folds between flying out and returning including Flybe and Monarch...

Last edited:
Soldato
Used to use BA a lot because tier points and it used to be good, but when their aging 747 series were simply updated, badly, the service also seemed to drop. I had an experience in long haul first class, that was, one way, superb and the way back was a joke (non working screen, ran out of steak, poor response time, not filling my glass etc.) it's all first world problem stuff, but when you're in first I expect a level.

I don't really have a preference these days. I am flying Saudi Air long haul soon. See how that goes. I did Emirates recently, which was decent.

I'll pretty much go for the shortest time / route or best price these days (on balance).

Associate
In long haul economy they're all pretty much total **** now to be honest. They've finished 'densifying' so layouts that used to be 3-3-3 are now 3-4-3 with more rows and less leg room. In terms of IFE and service none stand out enough to justify paying extra IMO. If flying economy I'd pay more only for a direct flight or better layover.

I had the opportunity to compare BAs new club suite with Qatar QSuite recently. To my surprise I found the BA seat to be more comfortable and better designed with more storage. QSuite was a bit more private with higher walls. Qatar obviously won on service and food though.

Associate
I tend to stick with BA where possible. Not the best interiors and not sure how far through they are with their latest refits over the last couple of years, but at my size (6'7"), their club class seats are far more comfortable than Virgin Upper Class. I was really cramped on Virgin when I flew Upper Class with them, wouldn't do that again.

Soldato
flying economy I’ve found most airlines to be pretty much the same except for some low cost ones which were pretty bad but they are cheap for a reason

Don
I tend to stick with BA where possible. Not the best interiors and not sure how far through they are with their latest refits over the last couple of years, but at my size (6'7"), their club class seats are far more comfortable than Virgin Upper Class. I was really cramped on Virgin when I flew Upper Class with them, wouldn't do that again.

The old style blub seats are comfortable but aisle access is a pain and the footrest section always seems to collapse when used in bed format

The problems I have with the old Virgin herringbone UC seats is the bed side it too hard, it's not totally straight and your feet overhang the end (And I'm nowhere near your height)

Associate
The old style blub seats are comfortable but aisle access is a pain and the footrest section always seems to collapse when used in bed format

The problems I have with the old Virgin herringbone UC seats is the bed side it too hard, it's not totally straight and your feet overhang the end (And I'm nowhere near your height)
I always try to get a window pod with BA and wifey gets stuck on the isle pod. The last time I went, I had mum on a middle aisle pod, wifey on the other middle pod and I kept my darling daughter under control in the two middle pods :D.

Agreed on all your observations for the BA and Virgin seating.

Back
Top Bottom