England: What went wrong? (serious discussion) **SPOILERS**

Man of Honour
//Mike said:
Just from your previous responses to threads such as this one I just assumed you rated Lamps much higher than Gerrard in all aspects of their games.
Thats true, because Lampard's only game is being an attacking midfielder and he's much better than Gerrard at it.

Gerrard's all-round game is much better though, hence my earlier comment in this thread :)

Associate
Fair enough :).

Lampard really has had an awful WC. Shame really, as it is the stage for players of his calibre to really show why they are so highly regarded. He is by no means the only one though...

Soldato
Gilly said:
Lampard is not crap. He's no Gerrard but there's more to his game than goals - otherwise he'd be a forward.

He still needed to get into the positions to shoot. He was off form, we know that, but form is temporary. Class is permanent.

form is temporary, class is permanent? hence when lampard went off form he was crap because he had no class to fall back on.

Soldato
what went right..

some of the music they did for some of the videos on bbc.

especially when they used the sense of touch music - mark isham (crash)

lovely music :p goes well with a football theme too

Soldato
6thElement said:
Myself having to watch on ESPN/ESPN2/ABC would have to agree with you. Marcello Balbao (sp?) is the worst co-commentator on the planet, although he's run very close to that position by the Irish guy they also use.

OT: Curio, Madison AL?

Madison, Wisconsin ;) And don't even get me started on the Irish guy....

Soldato
ronaldoc7ke4be5sx.gif

Associate
Another 4 years.

When reflecting on England's world cup finals campaign I have had so many daily thoughts and as a result, so much to say. But for the essence of being to the point, I will try and air my opinion as briefly as I can.
England never looked like they could beat a good team, as a unit, they hardly rated amongst the top 16 teams, their exit in the quarter finals is as good as they could have hoped for, based on their performances, I would say that their summer has been a deserved success.
None of us know the real reason behind their failure to progress, but from watching the matches - we do have some credited evidence on where they could have been adjusted for the better.
  • The formation of 4-1-4-1 Never worked. A ridiculous formation to play at this competition.
  • Lampard, Beckham, Rooney and Cole all under performed and failed to be anything near 'world class' or work together.
  • The hype around Rooney was sickening, he did NOTHING at this WC.
  • Sven had no passion, he was looking forward to his retirement and had the last laugh at the English FA.
  • The players have too much of an easy life. (Do you think the french players had their wags with them while they were training up in the Alps? Not a chance).

A new era begins soon, McLaren takes over and Terry will be captain, but - and thats a big but - does anyone think that by switching the armband and an appointment of an assistant coach to manager will make a blind bit of difference? not me. Mclaren is bound to be slightly corrupt by the Ericsson approach to management of the national team and as long as certain players are in the team, they will always been 'also ran's - A huge rethink and reshape is needed -- there is plenty of talent in this country and it needs to be used, I hope they treat the next years as prepatory years for getting it right when it counts. As for the penalties, no comment.

Associate
Two years to the Euro Cup

Time to rebuild the team

Bye bye Becks

Read the riot act to Roony - control your aggression
channel it into your game

Use every match to take the team forward

Every player to win their place on merit

Man of Honour
memphisto said:
beginning to agree I cant actually remember and england game wehre Lampard has been that good tbh ?
The friendly v Argentina, qualifiers v Poland, Austria & NI (home game)...
Lamps has just been unlucky, he's had more attempts on goal than anyone else in the tournament, which shows he was getting the ball in the right areas & any other other time he would have scored a hat-full, everyone knows he can score & with that bit of luck he would have been a hero.
Rating Lamps on his WC performances is nonsense, Ronaldinho was worse for instance:)

Soldato
JohnnyG said:
Lamps has just been unlucky, he's had more attempts on goal than anyone else in the tournament

all that showed was everytime he got the ball he was greedy enough to blast a crap shot over the bar, instead of either shooting from a better position or moving forward to try and build an attack.

Soldato
I think its all a huge wind up.
Rio Ferdinand will jump out of the bushes anytime now and tell us that we , the whole of Germany , the worlds TV and press have all been "murked" and that the world cup doesnt really start until next week.

I love that guy , he's so zany.

Permabanned
Vandle said:
I think its all a huge wind up.
Rio Ferdinand will jump out of the bushes anytime now and tell us that we , the whole of Germany , the worlds TV and press have all been "murked" and that the world cup doesnt really start until next week.

I love that guy , he's so zany.

:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom