First layer issue not sure what it is?

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Hey,

I’m having issues with my first layer (see photos) and not sure if there is a term for it so I can do some googling!?

Some areas look spot on and others don’t, and sometimes printing in the same area will look food and then bad.

I don’t think it’s my Z Height but not sure what I should be looking for.

Any help much appreciated

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
bet beds not level there

I don’t think it’s that, I’ve printed off quite a few filament swatches today and sometimes it happens, with varying levels of intensity and other times it doesn’t happen.

If the bed wasn’t level bang in the centre I’d expect it to happen every time right?

Soldato
Just from the pictures, clean your bed properly and do a level, not sure how though on yours as I run a pair of Ender 3's with the SKR Mini board in so yours might not allow a 9 point bed mesh

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Just from the pictures, clean your bed properly and do a level, not sure how though on yours as I run a pair of Ender 3's with the SKR Mini board in so yours might not allow a 9 point bed mesh
Already done! It's not that

I'm going to install Klipper, hopefully going through the calibration process of setting up Klipper will resolve it

Soldato
Odd then, the print doesnt look even, some of it looks good, then some of it it looks like you are over extruding or the nozzle gets a smidge closer to the bed and the nozzle is dragging.

Have you tried other prints and gotten the same results?

Drop speed, increase temps?

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Odd then, the print doesnt look even, some of it looks good, then some of it it looks like you are over extruding or the nozzle gets a smidge closer to the bed and the nozzle is dragging.

Have you tried other prints and gotten the same results?

Drop speed, increase temps?
I've tried printing 8 colour swatches all in the centre of the bed, cleaned with IPA between each print and with varying results.

All PLA, 6 the same brand

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Have you tried cleaning with hot soapy water instead? Some times IPA doesn't do a great job for me, but soapy water helps.
Yeah, I always do a hot soapy water clean first to remove any residue built up over time, and then wipe with a paper towel & some IPA on to remove any finger prints. I don't normally wipe down with paper towel & IPA between every print, I was just doing it with the colour swatches to see if it made any difference. Before I started doing the colour swatches the bed had a hot soapy clean first.

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
If the filament has been lying a while it might need drying out.
I keep all my filament with silca gel bags in my airing cupboard, never had issues with 'wet' filament before.

I think it just needs a good clean and calibration of everything, it can't hurt right. I'm going to order a P1S now and will get round to sorting the Mk3S+ with Kilpper when I have more time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom