Fresh turf - Issues

Soldato
hey,

I've had a LARGE amount of Sand / top soil added to my garden to raise and level it.
Sand layer then top soil ontop. To help it drain into the land drains positioned around the edges.
Its all then captured within a surround of Patio (Cement base) and 20cm deep buried sleepers.

The new turf which has been down for 2 weeks, has got areas where its super squishy, any idea how I resolve this? I could roller it, but I'm worried it would just sink. Of course, when its established, I can add some top soil in any low bits to help it later in the summer. Is this my only approach?

My second issue is Leather Jackets. I've found quite a few when I lifted some bits to see how the roots were coming along.
Anyone got any advise to stop the issues before they happen?

Thanks all!

Soldato
Lift it and add more sand?

Have you looked on a search engine on how to get rid of leather jackets, loads of good options

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lift it and add more sand?
I don't want to add sand under the turf. There is 2 inch of Top soil above the sand. Would be a little bit more difficult. hah

I've got some Nemoatodes on the way. However, I like to get peoples advice too :)

Last edited:
Associate
I've used nematodes for garden fleas and worked great. Didn't know it worked on leather jackets. My parents are having issues with them on some new turf they've laid so will pass on the info!

Soldato
OP
Caporegime
Can get the box without the applicator for under £20 though.
applicator is a waste of money for anyone with a watering can

can likely get fresher neatodes than on amazon too, but people should be aware there are many types of nematodes that are pest specific.

I bought some for blackfly and I think the eggs had to be kept refrigerated until use.

looking on google the eggs need to be stored at low temperatures and don't have a long shelf life.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you 've had a thick layer of sand and top soil then the squishiness might be coming from the fact that it wasn't firmed in as they went. Now the sub-base of sand and soil is still sitting "loose" under the turf.

If you are adding a thick layer of sand or soil then you need to firm it down every couple of inches (just tramp it with your feet if you dont have a roller). Your lawn will eventually fix itself over a year as the weather/cold/frost etc all have their effect but it will likely leave your lawn uneven.

Last edited:
Soldato
I spent 3 yrs digging up 3 lawns -digging them over -Taking out Chaffa and Leatherjacket lava and redid the area and seeded it -in the first year of each lawn they looked great.
Now a few years on I just mow them when I feel like it as they have again been taken over by grubs
none of the remedies worked so gave up.
half of each lawn is now straw colour - When it is completely straw colour I will plant Dandelions.

I think in the US you can buy a chemical to kill them but it is banned in Europe.
It has been a soul destroying job.

Soldato
Try not to walk on a newly layed lawn. As mentioned above, it will be soft with all the sand and soil. Need to let it settle and give the grass time to grow.

Back
Top Bottom