From (TV Series)

Man of Honour
Just started watching this (well more than half-way through the season now) seems like the product of putting Lost, Wayward Pines, DARK and The Leftovers in a blender (and probably 1-2 other shows I'm forgetting).

Like Dark Matter it doesn't really do anything particularly special or have much originality in its own right but is pleasantly reminiscent of some notable past shows.

Man of Honour
Didn't make it past the second episode. Felt way too slow, a show to have on in the background perhaps.

Like a lot of TV series these days they seem to take <25% of the contents of a TV season back in the day, basically the premise, and stretch it out over a third to half the number of episodes - maybe a cynical way to see what does and doesn't take without spending too much money. It doesn't really go anywhere by the end of the season - there is no real pay off for watching it - though interesting enough in this case I'll check out season 2 which does seem to be being made.

Like with Lost there seems to be a few "cool" ideas someone has thrown in which likely don't lead to anything in the longer run or have much real meaning to the overall story.

Personally it never bored or irritated me enough to turn it off, but I certainly didn't find it engrossing either. Overall I quite liked it but I think mostly that was due to evoking some of the buzz of watching some of the past notable similar shows in their prime rather than necessarily the quality of the show itself.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Good start but the pacing is really annoying its slowly trickling and unwinding the story. Really padding it out.

Associate
I have binge watched Series 1 and have just watched the penultimate episode in Series 2, whilst it has been interesting and confusing it irks me that it is made by the same people who made Lost and seems to be going down the same old rabbit holes. i remember watching Series 1 of Lost and all the hype that surrounded it as it was only ever written as a one off mystery drama with a conclusion but viewing figures were so high they obvs went on to series 2 BUT and this is what eventually got my goat they asked fans what they thought it was all about and all the fan theories came out but the overriding theory was they were all dead and were in pergatuory. Oh no said the writers that is not it all guess again. Anyway 2o million earth years later that I will never get back all the dudes are in some church and the doors open and they all walk in to the light and yep you guesed it they were all dead and had just been in pergatory. LOST writers LIED! This brings us now to FROM, and a new generation of gullible fans. Bet your bottom dollar as they have all arrived in said creepy town from all over the country making that physically impossible well ergo they have all been in fatal crashes and we are watching them go through the whole old pergatory story again. I just read that they are already planning a Series 3 but there is a writers strike, I dont think they should worry just get any fan from the LOST fanbase and they can write at least ten episodes for you until the viewing figures drop off advertisers stop paying and you need a quick finish so they can all walk into the makeshift church they've been keeping Sarah in and they can walk out into the bright light of heaven, the nasty people already gobbled up by their fears in the forest. Unfortunately, I am one of these masochistic people who know they will keep watching to the bitter end just to end up feeling used and cheated.

Caporegime
We're enjoying season 2 but silly character decisions seem to be on the up. And what's the point of Elgin, 8 episodes in and he's still wondering round like a lost sheep.

Reactions: Kyo

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
We're enjoying season 2 but silly character decisions seem to be on the up. And what's the point of Elgin, 8 episodes in and he's still wondering round like a lost sheep.

yeah definitely i mean the whole Jim questioning
is this all real (despite all he and his family been through)
with that conspiracy guy who just arrived 5 mins ago who has been nothing but trouble is stupid. Still enjoying it though despite the slow pacing and story progression.

Associate
I'm this pushing out, but these people who made lost may have a tendency to repeat their themes.

I'm considering that all the people in the town are actually deceased, everyone of them entered this town from different locations in the USA.

I'm on episode 4 now and picked together a few things, the crows in various fictional stories and myth are often related to carriers and transporters of souls, the treen in the road is the end of a long journey, Symbolic of an end of life met with a sudden tragic end.

Each of the people in the town died tragically in a collision on the road, sudden death and they are wandering between the land of the living and dead.

In lost we found out everyone was dead, this theme seems to mirror in From, the creatures are the representation of finality. Roaming monsters the great devourer of life, they literally are death embodied, slowly stalking waiting for the final invitation.

Death can be swift but for some it's like torture as the soul tries to hold on to a broken body.

They consume almost everything leaving only the head the last sight of a tortured soul in final death.

The trees that transport objects to random locations are mountain ash symbols of protection against malicious evil, unlike the sycamore the ash is a block a lock against evil, whereas the sycamore is a portal that has definite point to point entry and exit.

The portals known as faraway trees are the idea of elusiveness and escape, it is in its self an illusion since the portals never allow you to leave the town but only place you randomly else where within the nexus of the trap, death is inescapable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom