Fuji X Series

Caporegime
Thank you for your responses, Scuzi, Raymond Lin and LiE. Spending up to £2000 is a bit insane really given I am pretty new to photography and the smart option would be to purchase a used Fuji X-T3. I am a bit of a weird one when it comes to used gear though. I much prefer new. I have been looking at the Fuji X-S20, which is slightly cheaper than the first two options I listed but still pretty expensive. I like the idea of the film simulations of Fujifilm cameras.

For home use...X-S20, or even X-S10 is perfectly fine. Don't expect miracles but the auto focus is modern enough.

Man of Honour
For home use...X-S20, or even X-S10 is perfectly fine. Don't expect miracles but the auto focus is modern enough.
The X-S10 autofocus performance is comparable to the X-T4 and the X-S20 is further improved. Yeah, they can’t match Sony but they’re plenty good enough for most photographers. I recently took my X-S10 on vacation and was shooting the kids skiing. I would be standing at the edge of the slope and they’d come flying past. I tried the subject tracking modes and traditional spot/zone focusing, and was pleasantly surprised with how many keepers I came away with.

Based upon what Fire Wizard is saying, I’d expect either would be fine. I’d recommend going to your local branch of London Camera Exchange and having a play with them all. You’ll get an idea of what feels right for you.

Soldato
I am looking at getting back into photography. I have had a couple of cameras in the past. The Canon 60D, 7D and the R10. I am currently debating between the Fuji X-T5 with the XF 18-55mm or the XF 35mm f/2 R for around £1800 or the Fuji X100VI for an extra £400 above retail pricing for £2000. Would anyone be able to offer any advice
please. I am very much an amateur amateur. :p

The 18-55 isn't sharp enough to get the most out of the xt5. It's quite noticeable but is otherwise pretty good.

I can recommend looking at Flickr groups for specific lenses and from that work out what focal lengths you like. From there it's about if you want to use zooms, primes or both. It's then about price, weight, speed etc of the lens. You will see that certain focal lengths suit certain styles and subject matter.

18-55 is great on the cheaper bodies to work out what focal lengths you like. If you find you like a few ranges within 18-55 but want a faster lens in those areas then it's prime only and there's no way around this. Possibly soon with ai rendering and better masking.

Edit - I wouldn't recommend 35mm like the f2 on fuji outside of the old 1.4 just for the rendering alone and nothing else. It's an awkward focal length. You will find more often than not you want something just slightly wider.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm back to Fuji again, picked up a slightly cosmetically battered but working X-T1 and 56mm F1.2 combo.

Given price I paid and what I'm looking for, happy to keep it for a while this time to get the hang of the system.

Associate
I am looking at getting back into photography. I have had a couple of cameras in the past. The Canon 60D, 7D and the R10. I am currently debating between the Fuji X-T5 with the XF 18-55mm or the XF 35mm f/2 R for around £1800 or the Fuji X100VI for an extra £400 above retail pricing for £2000. Would anyone be able to offer any advice please. I am very much an amateur amateur. :p
did you decide on what to buy?

I know this is an old chat but are you locked into a Fuji camera or you looking at other options (am I going to get banned for talking about other vendors? :) )

Caporegime
Man down, man down!

0sXEl7U.jpg

Caporegime
It identifies as an X100V! Ouch.

Insurance job?

I am going to try warranty first, google shows it is a VERY common issue on the X100 line, some people have it delivered new like it.

It was in my bag during transport between Paris and London....not sure what happened, wasn't dropped or knocked. If the warranty claim fails then I will try travel insurance, then my photography gear insurance if that fails.

Man of Honour
Hope it works out smoothly. That sucks. Do you notice a drop in build quality with the later models? I’ve been considering an X-T5 and every time I get my hands on one I can’t help but feel it just isn’t built to the same standard as the older Fujis.

Caporegime
Hope it works out smoothly. That sucks. Do you notice a drop in build quality with the later models? I’ve been considering an X-T5 and every time I get my hands on one I can’t help but feel it just isn’t built to the same standard as the older Fujis.

The camera itself feels just as good as my original X100 or my X-Pro 1 or XT1 and XS-10. I think the glass is a weak point. I just have no idea how it happened! Fuji has already sent out a box to me via DPD to send the camera in to them. I've got them to fix my 56/1.2 before so hopefully this won't take long....I am just worried about the availability of spare parts knowing how hard to get this camera new currently. Google tells me they don't just replace the glass, but the entire top plate...the camera still works, EVF still comes on so if I use the EVF, which I do, I don't notice it at all.

p.s. that's not a scratch on the front, just a piece of lint.

Last edited:
Associate
Ba
The camera itself feels just as good as my original X100 or my X-Pro 1 or XT1 and XS-10. I think the glass is a weak point. I just have no idea how it happened! Fuji has already sent out a box to me via DPD to send the camera in to them. I've got them to fix my 56/1.2 before so hopefully this won't take long....I am just worried about the availability of spare parts knowing how hard to get this camera new currently. Google tells me they don't just replace the glass, but the entire top plate...the camera still works, EVF still comes on so if I use the EVF, which I do, I don't notice it at all.

p.s. that's not a scratch on the front, just a piece of lint.
Bad luck :(

I'd like to think they keep spares back for warranty?

Caporegime
Ba

Bad luck :(

I'd like to think they keep spares back for warranty?

I hope so! I found this picture on my phone, I took this the morning before I left at the hotel during my morning coffee. So it was definitely fine then. Then it wasn't when I got to my friend's place at night. I got it out to show her and said "This camera is small but mighty!" Then I spotted it and went "oh"...

oGs6XV3.jpg

Anyhow, some feedback on the camera.

It fits great in my jacket pocket, in fact, it spent most of the week in there. Just a PD wrist strap attached and totally discrete vs having it over my shoulder. The Leaf Shutter is soooo quiet, it's hard for me to hear it when I take a photo, there is no chance someone else in the street can hear. These are all done in a recipe I found online from Jason Wong in a short. I called it "Your Name"

szuo6Av.jpg

oAjX3UZ.jpg

OWfTltg.jpg

EEBDlFk.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The XT5 was £1299 at the Photography Show.

CrIILV5.jpg

I am not sure what Fuji is smoking when the Panasonic S5/S5II can be had for similar money. The XT50 is also stuck with the old W126S battery too - maybe they should have use the old 26MP sensor,and given it IBIS for £999.99 and left it at that.

I was there at the show and saw some of the offers on there - a lot of Fuji shooters I see walking around London,etc are using the cheaper XT/XS series bodies. Not sure how hiking the price so much makes sense - maybe they will update the XT30 and keep it under £1000? Luckily managed to pick up a new XT5 for under £1000 a few months ago and I might as well keep my XT20 as a backup. Got the latter for under £300 during a Fujifilm Refurbished sale.

Caporegime
I am not sure what Fuji is smoking when the Panasonic S5/S5II can be had for similar money. The XT50 is also stuck with the old W126S battery too - maybe they should have use the old 26MP sensor,and given it IBIS for £999.99 and left it at that.

I was there at the show and saw some of the offers on there - a lot of Fuji shooters I see walking around London,etc are using the cheaper XT/XS series bodies. Not sure how hiking the price so much makes sense - maybe they will update the XT30 and keep it under £1000? Luckily managed to pick up a new XT5 for under £1000 a few months ago and I might as well keep my XT20 as a backup. Got the latter for under £300 during a Fujifilm Refurbished sale.

X-S20...can be had £1k, main difference would be the sensor isn't 40mp, with customisable film sim dial, a little larger (with the grip mostly). £300 more for XT50 basically for the sensor and new AF.

It makes the X-S10 a good value still, they are like £600 used. Half the price of a new X-T50.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom