Ghost of Tsushima - directors cut

Soldato
Also a lot of combat can be avoided by the QTE's when you enter a camp etc.
Well, I say a lot, think it's like 3 enemies at first but some perks drive it up, can't remember much from it really.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If you haven’t played this, it’s one of the best games out there if it’s anything like the PS version.

Got it on my steam wishlist. Will probably pick it up around Xmas sales as Baldurs Gate 3 and a few other games I want to play will probably take until then.

You guys should be done with beta testing by then and hopefully I can grab it for around £25 :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I bought it on steam with a view to trial it for the 2 hours. I fully expect to refund it though as doesn't seem like my kind of jam but at least get to see what it looks and runs like lol. Not bothering with preloading as decrypting takes longer than it does to download in realtime due to steam's inability to use modern multi threaded CPUs.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I bought it on steam with a view to trial it for the 2 hours. I fully expect to refund it though as doesn't seem like my kind of jam but at least get to see what it looks and runs like lol. Not bothering with preloading as decrypting takes longer than it does to download in realtime due to steam's inability to use modern multi threaded CPUs.

I have never used the 2 hour period to demo a game. My plan is to just wait until I either really fancy playing the game or finish playing my current backlog of triple a games. That is no less than 6 months away is my guess. Hoping this will be £25 on cdkeys by then.

Sad to see it won't get your beta testing input however :p

When are you changing your name back to mrk? BananaMan isn't doing anything for me :D

Soldato
Actually discussed this in the car on a work trip Tuesday. The driver said he had porridge and poached eggs for breakfast, this seemed fine until he said he puts the eggs IN his porridge, at which point chaos ensued. So I said "there's this person online who said he dips bananas in his tea", it was not met by the same level of disgust. I don't know how I feel about it all tbh.

Soldato
I'd be amazed if it's didn't run smoothly on a low end rig. It's not a technically demanding game at all, the world is very sparse and simple, animation fairly basic.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Did you just call my PC low end!!! :p

Actually discussed this in the car on a work trip Tuesday. The driver said he had porridge and poached eggs for breakfast, this seemed fine until he said he puts the eggs IN his porridge, at which point chaos ensued. So I said "there's this person online who said he dips bananas in his tea", it was not met by the same level of disgust. I don't know how I feel about it all tbh.
It highlights that the real world is kept alive by outside the box thinkers whilst the rest of the population follow the norm like sheep :p

Soldato
It's been a long time coming, but it's happening:

got.jpg

PS Completed Ninja Gaiden 2 on Xenia emulator yesterday (11/10 game in so many ways), so the timing could not have been more perfect

Last edited:
Soldato
It's been a long time coming, but it's happening:

got.jpg

PS Completed Ninja Gaiden 2 on Xenia emulator yesterday (11/10 game in so many ways), so the timing could not be more perfect
Enjoy. Pretty much one of the only games recently that held my attention to 100% the whole thing.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ok played played the first 45 mins and just reached Castle Kenada. Very very impressive, the combat is actually intuitive once you do the tutorial section and learn the parry/doge and other bits of sword smithery.

I may not refund this after all lol.

Technical observations:

- ALL rendering methods have some distance flame particle effects shimmering, upscaling either amplifies it (DLSS) or blurs it (FSR and XeSS)
- DLAA appears the best all round method whilst "FSR3 Native AA" appears the sharpest but also introduces ghosting
- XeSS upscaling has particle effect ghosting and FSR3 appears to fizzle stuff as we have come to expect from the joke that is FSR
- DLSS with the game is version 3.7.0 for both upscaling and frame gen
- At DLAA 3440x1440 I am getting a minimum of 85fps, with DLSS Quality I get ~115fps in action but at 85fps with reflex on it feels just as reactive and smooth as over 100fps, so I'd say this game with anything above 60fps you're in for a sweet experience for clarity and smoothness and responsiveness
- Mouse sensitivity by default was way too high, I dropped it down to around 30 for my 1000Hz XM2we at 1000 DPI
- Visually the game is rather stunning, it looks even better if you set teh contrast in game to "dramatic" otherwise on OLED you get that faded black feel in dark scenes
- CPU utilisation is very well optimised, no stuttering and all threads are being used nicely
- GPU utilisation is also well optimised
- There is no shader compilation at the start so whatever it is doing is being done in realtime, not sure if this game uses DirectStorage etc.

The particle shimmering appears to be an engine level issue and nothing to do with using upscaling as it exists at native res too. Seems they direct-ported this and left in some of those engine traits then tapped on top the PC goodies.

Edit*
12700KF and RTX 4090 for reference.

Uploading a 45 min video from start to Kenada showing all of the upscalers and native modes etc and the GFX for them. It's a 20GB video but will be done in a few mins. NO idea how long YT will take to process the high quality version mind...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's go time...

Here's graphics options for anyone curious:

Question, I see a Motion Blur Strength slider there, dont see a tickbox to turn Motion Blur off altogether. Does putting the strength slider down to the lowest disable motion blur completely or does it still have some motion blur?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Don't use the launcher to change settings, it's more versatile ingame so do it there. motion blur can be turned off yes, just slide it to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom