Gigabyte AORUS FO32U2P Flat QD-OLED: 32" 4K 240Hz with DisplayPort 2.1, KVM

Associate
Another 32-inch 4K OLED announced at CES. This is one of the few with DisplayPort 2.1 for those looking to future proof. Gigabyte says it is the world's first DP 2.1 UHBR20 monitor.

Looks like a decent monitor - has some interesting features such as the 'Resolution Switch', which switches to a 24-inch size in 1080p resolution with a single click of a button. Check out the YouTube video to get a better idea. It's not as high a refresh rate as compared to some of the more recent monitors but seems well specced all the same, plus 240Hz should be okay for most people not playing competitive FPS'. It's also got its own set of OLED care software features to avoid burn-in.

Importantlly for me, it's also a flat screen (yay). This monitor and the HP Omen Transcend 32 have my attention.

Gigabyte AORUS FO32U2P: Specs
  • 31.5-inch QD-OLED panel from Samsung Display
  • 4K resolution (3840 x 2160)
  • 240HZ refresh rate
  • Flat display
  • DisplayPort 2.1 (with full UHBR20 bandwidth) - 80 Gbps bandwidth without Display Stream Compression (DSC)
  • 0.03ms G2G response time spec
  • 1.5 million:1 contrast ratio
  • 99% DCI-P3 gamut
  • VESA DisplayHDR 400 True Black tier

Last edited:
Soldato
VESA has finally certified DP 2.1a, now we can start getting monitors and GPUs using real Display Port 2

All existing GPU and Monitors with Diaplay Port 2 are nerfed version of the tech with very limited bandwidth making it no better than DP 1.4 but now 80GB/s display port has been certified

If this monitor is DP 2.1a 80GB/s as well then that's great. It's ahead of its time though cause there is no GPUs that support that yet - and that means there is no way to properly test the monitor- I would not buy the monitor just for DP2.1 because you could find that it has issues with DP2.1 GPUs in future just like HDMI2.1 devices had when they launched before they could be properly tested

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The update to DP 2.1a actually has very little relevance to the situation other than making cabling simpler to develop. The only change (outside of irrelevant automotive udpates) for 2.1a was the ability to certify cables that are specifically deisgned to work with the middle UHBR13.5 speed. There are 3 speeds associated with DP 2.1 which are UHBR10 (40Gbps), UHBR13.5 (54Gbps) and UHBR20 (80Gbps), although note that all of these are 'optional' within the DP 2.1 specification. That's another topic though.

Previously there were only two types of cable you could certify, DP40 which would handle the UHBR10 speeds (40Gbps), and DP80 which would then be needed to handle the UHBR13.5 and UHBR20 speeds. The problem with this was that DP80 cables are complex and expensive to develop, because they need to work with the max UHBR20 speeds in theory. So all they've done now is introduce a certification that allows production of cables for the UHBR13.5 speed on it's own, giving rise to the DP54 cable type.

This makes cabling simpler for the UHBR13.5 devices, but there are other challenges as to why DP 2.1 hasn't appeared yet in the monitor space - scalers, device support, graphics card uptake. See here for loads more info

The new cable certification will help with the UHBR13.5 devices a bit, but in no way makes the path to full 80Gbps UHBR20 speeds easier sadly.

All existing GPU and Monitors with Diaplay Port 2 are nerfed version of the tech with very limited bandwidth making it no better than DP 1.4 but now 80GB/s display port has been certified

so this bit isn't really true

If this monitor is DP 2.1a 80GB/s as well then that's great. It's ahead of its time though cause there is no GPUs that support that yet - and that means there is no way to properly test the monitor- I would not buy the monitor just for DP2.1 because you could find that it has issues with DP2.1 GPUs in future just like HDMI2.1 devices had when they launched before they could be properly tested

agreed, that's a risk right now. it could also result in delayed launch of the screen relative to other competing options

Associate
Interesting monitor without a Doubt. But since nVidia showed the new g-sync pulsar chip, I wont go near a new monitor without it!
Btw, since the I heard that it may Not, be on OLED. Then it is a no go. Will NEVER, go near POS LCD, ever again!

Last edited:
Associate
Just watched a video on this and it's looking very much like a display i'd love to get my hands on. Although at 4K I'm maybe tempted at going a bit higher in terms of size I guess it all depends on the price I guess.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ok so the 1080p mode isn't scaled to fill the whole screen, you end up with massive borders which would be annoying, and if you game using it a lot, then uneven pixel wear. Do Not Want.

Also it's not ultrawide :p

Associate
OP
Gigabyte has now published the full specs for this model. Looks like it will support USB-C 65W power delivery, and also include a mini Displayport 2.1 (UHBR20) along with a full-sized Displayport 2.1 (UHBR20) too.

Monitor looks like a good all-rounder - now we need an idea of UK pricing.

Associate
Gigabyte has now published the full specs for this model. Looks like it will support USB-C 65W power delivery, and also include a mini Displayport 2.1 (UHBR20) along with a full-sized Displayport 2.1 (UHBR20) too.

Monitor looks like a good all-rounder - now we need an idea of UK pricing.

Probably the most expensive of the lot, but it's the one I want, due to all of the future proofing tech built in, granted we have no idea if 5K series will support it?

Man of Honour
Probably the most expensive of the lot, but it's the one I want, due to all of the future proofing tech built in, granted we have no idea if 5K series will support it?
I’d argue it could be considered the least “future proof” given DP 2.1 is a brand new standard and they are having to develop it without widespread input devices being available. Launching monitors with this connection before NVIDIA and AMD have properly put their stake in the ground is very risky imo

Associate
I’d argue it could be considered the least “future proof” given DP 2.1 is a brand new standard and they are having to develop it without widespread input devices being available. Launching monitors with this connection before NVIDIA and AMD have properly put their stake in the ground is very risky imo

In my case I'm hoping I'll be able to play around with custom resolution utility, to maximise performance at 2560x1440 and 1080p on the same monitor, but no way to know until I get it as well as risking my warranty :)

Which is my main focus of interest with the higher bandwidth

Fair points though.

Man of Honour
Interesting. Couldn’t you do that with DP 1.4 easily though? Should be more than adequate to support 1440p and 1080p at 240Hz (and 4k for that matter), but without the potential future compatibility risks?

Associate
Interesting. Couldn’t you do that with DP 1.4 easily though? Should be more than adequate to support 1440p and 1080p at 240Hz (and 4k for that matter), but without the potential future compatibility risks?
Well I'm hoping I'll be able to go beyond the advertised frame rates at the lower resolutions, I've been able to do it with other devices in the past with CRU + MonInfo

Soldato
Just pulled the trigger on a preorder for this, that may or may not arrive in a week :D

I've been on a display rampage this week.
Very interested to hear how this is. It's a strong contender for my next screen. Only downside is the PD is only 60W but probably still enough to keep my work laptop atleast mostly charged for a work day.

Associate
Very interested to hear how this is. It's a strong contender for my next screen. Only downside is the PD is only 60W but probably still enough to keep my work laptop atleast mostly charged for a work day.
If that's an important aspect of the monitor, you should probably go with an alternative display imo.

Even my reasons for purchasing it, has the 5090 in mind.

Just went hunting and saw it going for €1700, that's crazy money.

Just under 1600 Euro's for me but that includes the non EU shipping. At this point, I'd rather pay the premium if the product is actually coming than wait another 2-3 months, only to miss out on the 5-10 that are available.

If it's stuck in pre order hell then I can cancel if the current due date is missed.

Last edited:
Soldato
The alternative would be the Asus or wait for the HP. Much prefer the look of the HP out of those two but it's going to be a few more months. I think I'll be patient and just wait for sales at some point when these are actually in stock.

Associate
This is the only one that ticks all my boxes and considering how good I’ve found the m28u I think I’ll pull the trigger on this soon as it’s available in the UK.

As much as I want the 240/480hz ones I can’t wait any longer plus none of them have USB-C with PD, KVM and speakers…

Associate
The alternative would be the Asus or wait for the HP. Much prefer the look of the HP out of those two but it's going to be a few more months. I think I'll be patient and just wait for sales at some point when these are actually in stock.
June is the arrival date for these monitors en masse. Short supply until then most likely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom