Gigabyte AORUS FO32U2P Flat QD-OLED: 32" 4K 240Hz with DisplayPort 2.1, KVM

Soldato
I stare at text all day on this screen without a problem. Went from a 42 inch 4k LCD display to this and if anything the text is clearer due to the higher DPI. I see no fringing.

Edit: unless I get up real close and squint that is.

Obviously a 42" 4K (104ppi) isn't a High DPI screen either. At similar PPI a typical RGB LCD would be noticeably sharper than these QD-OLED (and WOED) screens, and there are lots of higher DPI LCD options, all the way to 220+ PPI. For those who stare at text all day those are much better choices.

What a ***********

If you use DP2.1 you are limited to 1 meter cable length, there are currently no 80GB/s certified cables over 1 meter

This is like when hdmi2.1 launched and the cables just sucked the hope out, and this is even worse

Yeah, but most people don't have DP2.1 80Gbps GPUs either so this is a non-issue right now. I expect we will see better cables once next gen GPUs are out there.

Last edited:
Soldato
The cables will come, they'll just be expensive and may have to be active not passive. Think of the data being transferred, it's incredible. It's the same with proper certified TB4 cables.

Signalling is becoming really hard. I just found out USB Type C has the same problems, cables are really short due to signal quality with high speeds, related to TB4 too.

I don't know how we will get around the issue. It's possible now to get long HDMI2.1 cables that work at 40GB/s but the cables are so ******* thick that it's a nightmare to use. Active Optical may be the only way and that means the end of cheap cables.

And the amount of data transferred is only going one way; yesterday a 4k 1000hz monitor was shown by TCL - the display port cable required to run at 4k 1000hz no dsc could be as thick as a cucumber and 10cm length

Last edited:
Associate
I'm getting the dankest feeling that all the people testing for and complaining about text fringing on OLEDs of any kind do so with a methodology that involves going just shy of "cornea physically warped by contact and pressure" for distance with a text scaling less than 100% at 4K to get the fringing they seem to get.
Just a gut feeling.

As for the issue of DP2.1 certified 80Gb/s cables being short... wait for VESA to update their list of legitimate cables or wait for active cables because you're not getting that bandwith at distances over 1m unless DP2.1 sockets include phase-and error correction in their signal processing.
Honestly I noticed it staright the way when I started doing work in my IDE. I've mostly mitigated the issue with a plugin and a new font but it's still very much there and text in general does not look as sharp as my previous IPS. I'm at text scaling 125% as well.

I'm keeping the monitor because everything else is so good and the aforemnetioned changes have made it a lot better for work. I don't do any sort of document writing, and all extensive reading of docs etc I do on my second portrait monitor so I can only talk from the aspect of programming, but I could definitely see it being not up to scratch for some.

Soldato
Yeah, but most people don't have DP2.1 80Gbps GPUs either so this is a non-issue right now. I expect we will see better cables once next gen GPUs are out there.
I don't see the point of DP2.1 on current monitors, its not as if the refresh rate is going to increase by using a DP2.1 cable on a DP2.1 monitor. I can still get 240hz over HDMI 2.1 or DP 1.4.

The only other thing I read is that DP2.1 is handy if running multiple monitors, again that's not something I do. I'm a one display only man, my desk doesn't have the space either.

Soldato
I don't see the point of DP2.1 on current monitors, its not as if the refresh rate is going to increase by using a DP2.1 cable on a DP2.1 monitor. I can still get 240hz over HDMI 2.1 or DP 1.4.

Current Intel and AMD GPUs already support DP 2.1, though not to 80 Gbps. That will come, as will cables to support it.

I normally have a great deal of respect for Tim from Monitors Unboxed & Hardware Unboxed but in his latest hit piece on DP 2.1 he was blithering about the cables costing so much more and held up the example of a $20 cable vs a $10 cable. Really, if someone is spending £1500 on a RTX 5090 and £1250 on a fo32u2p then do you really think they're going to baulk at £100 for a cable?

Soldato
I use FIBBR fibre-optic cables and emailed them a while back. They told me that 80 Gbps DP 2.1 fibre-optic cables are due some time this year.

Soldato
The only other thing I read is that DP2.1 is handy if running multiple monitors, again that's not something I do. I'm a one display only man, my desk doesn't have the space either.
I didn't buy the monitor for dp2.1 but it does have other benefits. There is some, particularly nvidia features that don't work with dsc enabled.

Associate
anyone noticed that the KVM doesn't switch back to the DP input when you have G-SYNC enabled? when you turn it off in NCP the KVM works as expected again.

also, i'm finding that the auto off timer is resetting on power off which renders it pretty pointless.

Back
Top Bottom