Golf Thread

Soldato
Thanks mate, I should have been more clear, my ball positioning is not bad it was more the club face I was talking about.

Moving half an inch from the heel to toe on the club face..if that makes sense?
ahh - sorry - I see now.

So long as it's in the middle of the club face at impact, it doesn't matter where you start it I guess....

Personally would find it uncomfortable looking and not seeing the ball in the middle of the club face at address.

Soldato
ahh - sorry - I see now.

So long as it's in the middle of the club face at impact, it doesn't matter where you start it I guess....

Personally would find it uncomfortable looking and not seeing the ball in the middle of the club face at address.

Yeah, I just couldn’t believe the difference , doesn’t bother me once I got used to it after a few dozen shots..

I have a lesson in Aberdeen on Wednesday. Changing from new machar, as although the pro there was awesome it was real expensive and not only is the golf centre cheaper, he isn’t as old-skool and uses track man and that jazz

Soldato
Yeah, I just couldn’t believe the difference , doesn’t bother me once I got used to it after a few dozen shots..

I have a lesson in Aberdeen on Wednesday. Changing from new machar, as although the pro there was awesome it was real expensive and not only is the golf centre cheaper, he isn’t as old-skool and uses track man and that jazz

Is it possible you're adjusting for something in your swing/path?

Personally I found I was hitting it out of the toe a lot, because of my out-to-in path so in the short term I changed so at address the ball is close to the hosel. So I guess for you could it be an in-to-out path that's a bit aggressive leading to the good ol' shank?

Soldato
Is it possible you're adjusting for something in your swing/path?

Personally I found I was hitting it out of the toe a lot, because of my out-to-in path so in the short term I changed so at address the ball is close to the hosel. So I guess for you could it be an in-to-out path that's a bit aggressive leading to the good ol' shank?

Possibly mate. Not 100% sure. I’m sure Paul will update me on Wednesday.

Will report back with my findings, I feel blessed to have a net and launch monitor. But in all honesty it’s not the same as getting out on the course. Except I don’t lose balls in the net! :cry:

Associate
Not Schauffle's biggest fan I find him incredibly dull to watch but hats off to that man what a performance under immense pressure, particularly as well after last week.

Brilliant tournament, Hovland and Dechambeu were absolutely brilliant to watch together as well

Caporegime
A nice little earner. Bet365 Super boost of Morikawa, Dechambeau and Scheffler all finishing in the top 10 got me £113 from £5. Combined with some football wins and last weekends golf as well I've taken out £180, left £40+change in and that was from £20 stake a couple of weeks ago.

Soldato
Not Schauffle's biggest fan I find him incredibly dull to watch but hats off to that man what a performance under immense pressure, particularly as well after last week.

Brilliant tournament, Hovland and Dechambeu were absolutely brilliant to watch together as well

Agree - very dull - zero personality. Bryson has really grown on me in the last few months. Wears his heart on his sleeve, love that about him.

Soldato
If you haven’t already check out his YouTube channel, it’s pretty decent

yeah - love it or hate him, at least I feel something about Bryson. I feel nothing about Xanders win - really couldn't care less. It's nothing personal, but he simply doesn't do anything for me.

Soldato
I'm so stupid sometimes I annoy myself..
Played my 2nd round Matchplay at the weekend, didn't start well and he did (we had the same handicap).

Was 4 down by the turn and didn't think I could pull it back as he was only 4over...
Managed to win 4 of the next 5 holes and should have won the 15th too..

All square on the 17th and I lose to a chip in, fair play, but I won 18.. He couldn't drive that far so sometimes on long holes I could make the green in 2 and he couldnt..

Onto the 1st for a playoff hole and I knew he couldn't make the green in 2, I should have played ultra safe and done the same and made a 5, but noooooo I went for it. Go big or go home... Drew/hooked it into the trees, then stuck my provisional in a dodgy bit of rough, so just handed him the win....

Lesson learned, I need to be more conservative, especially with a Medal comp next week off the Whites..

Soldato
I'm so stupid sometimes I annoy myself..
Played my 2nd round Matchplay at the weekend, didn't start well and he did (we had the same handicap).

Was 4 down by the turn and didn't think I could pull it back as he was only 4over...
Managed to win 4 of the next 5 holes and should have won the 15th too..

All square on the 17th and I lose to a chip in, fair play, but I won 18.. He couldn't drive that far so sometimes on long holes I could make the green in 2 and he couldnt..

Onto the 1st for a playoff hole and I knew he couldn't make the green in 2, I should have played ultra safe and done the same and made a 5, but noooooo I went for it. Go big or go home... Drew/hooked it into the trees, then stuck my provisional in a dodgy bit of rough, so just handed him the win....

Lesson learned, I need to be more conservative, especially with a Medal comp next week off the Whites..

unlucky.... but I would say - always play your own game.

Playing "conservative" isn't always a good idea.... Hit the shot you see/feel is best....Especially in matchplay, as you found out previously, he could easily chip in or something and playing "conservative" would not help you there.

Played a lot of matchplay over the years and seen some wild holes won and lost from seemingly impossible situations.

Had it last week infact - Par 5 second hole - he was getting a shot.

He hits driver down middle, I pull mine into the rough, hack it out into more trouble, chip sideways..... Lieing 3 shots and still 210 to flag. He's sitting 100 yards from the green in 2 net 1.

I find the green about 30ft from flag in 4. So likely to 2 putt for a 6 for me. He then duffs chip into greenside bunker in 3 net 2, he then thins his bunker shot 20 yards over the green and looses the ball, drops in the bunker again and fails to get out.

So out of nowhere, he's now given me the hole.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree playing your own game when you have holes to take back, but on a playoff hole, maybe taking the risky power shot wasn't the best of ideas...
My driving is solid about 7/10 times, i took the chance and hit an awful hook. Came out of now where too, as up until then I'd played a great back 9...

Was gutted but also glad it was over in the hot weather. Needed a beer!

Soldato
Matchplay for me tonight.

Couple of observations mind you. Our semi rough is sooooo long at the moment - off the fairway by a couple of inches and the ball settles down in it. You can barely see it until your within a few yards. Makes it very very hard to get out.

Also with the change in the stroke index's on the card last week. Giving 10 shots away.

Wild thing is 5 on the front 9, and all 5 of them were in the first 6 holes!!! What a stupid way to start a tie... Giving away shots on 1,2,4,5,6.... Then nothing till 11. I was clinging on 3 down after 9....

Didn't play great, lost 4&3. Brutal way to start giving away the shots like that mind you.

Soldato
Had another golf lesson today. This is the second lesson with the 'new' guy, first one about a bit ago he had me focussing on closing the club face, he showed me a drill which he called 'pre-closure' and is basically bowing the wrists to get the face closed at impact. Spent a bunch of time practicing and now feel like I've got to the point where I can bow the wrist/close the face but because my path was still out-to-in that results in a big pull with maybe a slight draw on top.

So started off warming up/hitting a few normal shots before hitting that closed face pull I'd got to and he seemed happy with that, always nice :p Next up is to fix the path and he split the swing into 4 parts: Sholder rotation, club face closure/wrists, an 'upward' movement and a lateral movement/weight shift. Specifically he wants me to do that lateral movement first and then the other three.

So the drill is to go to the top of the backswing and then move to the left (towards the target) before I rotate/hit the club.

It works at least, albeit doing that I'm now just pushing everything, but looking at the launch monitor values instead of 10-14 degrees 'left'/out-to-in I was between 2 degrees 'left' to 6 degrees 'right', so actually getting an in-to-out path. Obviously need to work on that drill and then hopefully try to merge the two so I've got a better path with a closed face.

Really nice though both lessons to come out feeling like I 'achieved' something, the first I came out hitting pull-hooks which are kinda bad but having never hit it left before really I knew it was a 'good' thing, and now seeing this in-to-out path bit is really nice.

Then decided to play 9 holes after as I was there anyway... First 2 holes were trash, often are tbh but also after the lesson my swing was all over the shop :cry: but that settled down and I hit some lovely shots with the one downside that my distance control is all out of whack now :p I did a gapping session about a year ago after getting my Dynapower irons and that had my 8 Iron at 120 yards carry. Today I hit 2 8 Irons over 150 yard total, and sure some of that is bounce/roll but it's also carrying decently past 120 yards. I even hit a PW to 125 yards total, again that was a 100 yard carryin the sim a year ago.

Soldato
Nice round this morning before work tonight.
Have recently joined Hagley Golf Club after not renewing at my current club where I have been for the past 4 years.

No warm up and out rusty. Was +5 through 4 and thought my round was done. Fast forward to the 9th and finished +6 (35/41).

This nice form continued through the back and finished with a +5 (37/42) for a total of 83.

A couple of missed easy puts which should have lowered my score but pleased with my overall game today. I know where I am going wrong so know what to work on at the range.
Lets just hope it continues :cool:

Back
Top Bottom