Golf Thread

Soldato
Usual Friday game today, course really is improving nicely with the dry weather we've been having. No longer need hedgehogs on the trolley and soon it'll be buggies on the fairways, good times \o/

Yet another wildly inconsistent game, 3 capped scores/pickups which is awful but otherwise some ok golf.

Also played Stockwood Vale yesterday a bit last minute, 5th time playing it and I am getting better at it but it's still so hard for me it seems. Did manage a nice par on the 16th, par 5, hit my driver 231 (total, not a great contact really but shows the level of bounce/roll going on) and then for my 2nd I took out a 3w and aimed for a bunker that I assumed I wouldn't get to. Actually assumed I'd hit a fade/slide which would turn towards the hole and be good but instead I striped the 3w dead straight into the bunker and then luckily bounced just out the other side, that was 199 yards even after the bunker shenanigans! :p

In other news, got an email from TaylorMade... https://www.taylormadegolf.co.uk/P790-Aged-Copper/N2920907.html Do want. So much want. :drool:

yeah, the P790 are very, very tempting clubs!!

Associate
Luck of the draw gave me the 1st tee time tomorrow (07:58) for the weekly roll up :cry: As if the golfing gods know.

Range is now open from 7am, debating whether to get up really early to get a warm up in first or just book into the par three and hit a few 9i/PW to warm up.

Associate
Luck of the draw gave me the 1st tee time tomorrow (07:58) for the weekly roll up :cry: As if the golfing gods know.

Range is now open from 7am, debating whether to get up really early to get a warm up in first or just book into the par three and hit a few 9i/PW to warm up.
For me extra sleep wins everytime

Soldato
got setup today, hitting like **** but its me, not the net! :cry:

MZRWn4w.jpg

SnswWDp.jpg

Associate
Much to my amazement despite the early tee time and the cool temperatures, was still out in shorts, I played much better today. Actually looked like a seasoned golfer for the most part :p

Monthly stableford of the whites (6400 yards) and scored 35 pts playing off 23. Along the way made nine boogies and three pars shooting 98 gross which is my second best score around the harder course. More of note this was the first time I played a whole round on this course without losing a ball. Noticed I had a small cut around the 14th hole but decided not to change it for fear of jinxing myself. Nearly put my tee shot in the water on seventeen but my ball bravely held on against some reeds at the waters edge. Not that it really helped me as the lie was unplayable so took a drop anyway. 38 putts, so not as good as last week and not helped by a four put on the tricky par 5 twelfth when I was the only one still in the hole (playing partners had found the water several times over). With a couple of other tame puts along the way it could easily have been my best ever round on the course. Undoubtedly helped by the fact the course had dried out so much compared to last week. All the marshy sections from last week had dried out, greenkeepers had been out verti-cutting them, and buggies are now out on both courses. Greens really firmed up.

Should probably give a shout out to my chiropractor who adjusted my right should blade at my appointment yesterday, which has freed up my rotator cuff some, giving me more movement back. Still a long way from where my right arm should be but hopefully now on the path to recovery. After last weeks round I was really stiff and achy later in the day across my upper back and neck and Monday/Tuesday my right arm felt next to useless. Got the frozen peas out when I got home today and so far so good. Not sure if I'll get out tomorrow, F1 in the morning, Indycar in the evening with WEC providing the filling. If I feel OK might try and get out for 12 holes after lunch.

Edit: correction to earlier statement, this mornings round has tied my best ever round on this course.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Zeebedy lovely setup :) Do you need anything on the ground to stop the balls getting scuffed up from the bricks or do they gently roll down the back of netting safely back to planet earth?

thanks mate. the first picture is the finished one. I have two 10ft archery netting nets, that I lay down over the bricks and they absorb whatever impact from the net is left.

Associate
What a difference a week makes..last Sat 1st in my division, mad 40+ mph winds and beat my handicap.

This week, completely perfect conditions for golf, hardly a breath of wind and lovely sunshine, 22pts from 18 holes, an absolute horror show :)

Will reset for next time

Last edited:
Associate
Been feeling good about the game of recent. Had a club match today vs another local club and crikey the hooks are back! Why!! Back to the sodding drawing board to work it out.

Soldato
looking for a bit of advice guys..

I was in my net yesterday, using my D9 and 923 forged irons, and everything has been going right, even on a "good" swing.

it is possible I have been fitted into the wrong shaft, or even lie being an issue? im questioning this because both sets are 1" longer and the same shaft.

im booked into American Golf tomorrow for a fitting at 12, and wanna find out about what is going on in my swing, plus looking at the TM P790, they look absolutely gorgeous.

Soldato

I was in my net yesterday, using my D9 and 923 forged irons, and everything has been going right, even on a "good" swing.

it is possible I have been fitted into the wrong shaft, or even lie being an issue? im questioning this because both sets are 1" longer and the same shaft.

im booked into American Golf tomorrow for a fitting at 12, and wanna find out about what is going on in my swing, plus looking at the TM P790, they look absolutely gorgeous.

Doubt it - Personally....... Stick with one set of irons.... Playing with 2/switching between them isn't going to give you any form of consistency.... Find a set and stick with them....

Shafts will really only cause issues with spin rates/peak height etc.....

You sure the launch monitor is setup up square/correctly etc - I personally wouldn't read much into "direction" of the ball using a sim/backyard net etc - Get to the course/full range etc and see what's happening.

1" length is certainly on the longer side (I'm 6ft3" and play 0.5 longer, 2 degree upright).

find a set - stop tinkering! :cry:

Soldato
Weather not great today - but playable. Course playing long of the back tee's as there is very little run currently.

Stableford comp today - 37 points so pretty happy with that. Silly double on 13th (si 1) - out of position on my second shot and tried to hit the miricle flop over the bunker - didn't happen!

Then a silly missed putt on 16th from about 2ft....

Overall happy with a 78 - Driver / 3w still not all there - but irons and short game coming along nicely.

41 points leading.... Lad plays off +3.8..... Think he shot scratch 66/67 for that score... :eek:

1713704058900.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Another round today, we've had great weather down south and so buggies are now allowed on the fairways, let the lazy times commence :D :p

Another mid-90's round, one terrible hole but really the main issue today was my putting. It's been fine for weeks now but today just so many putts either left right on the lip (3 or 4 iirc) or just slightly off-line and lipping out. It really wasn't terrible putting just nothing dropping.

Also a few times making the wrong decision with the club either into or down wind that left me a looong way from the hole.

Soldato
Just for the record - 41 point leader I posted about in my post earlier....

He shot scratch 63 :eek: :eek: - 7 birdies, 1 eagle, 1 bogie, 9 pars.... Gone from +3.8 to +4.6 !!

Pretty sure that's a course record.... But it is still lift, clean and place so not sure if it will be officially recognised....

No wonder he's club champion 3 years in a row....

Soldato
Went out for some morning golf today, got a bit caught out early on with the greens being super firm/hard, no chance of me stopping on them...

First real indication was the 2nd hole, a nice ~25-30 yard chip/pitch shot and landed it exactly where I wanted to a few feet onto the front of the green only for it to roll all the way through the green and a couple of yards out the back, not fun. :p

Still, noted and moving on got a bit into my stride after a few holes of warmup and managed a string of 3 pars from 6th through to 8th which was nice. Got 46 overall which I'm happy with around there, best ever is 45.

Best bit is my chipping was decent, it's been quite poor recently so did some practice over the weekend and seems to be getting there, plenty of shots where I hit pretty much what I wanted, even if the result didn't work out as expected like on the 2nd

Soldato

I agree with @booyaka's post below yours, sounds like you're switching around a lot and losing consistency. Typically the wrong shaft wouldn't push you too far off - have you got 1" long because you're very tall, or...?

Back
Top Bottom