Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [15th - 17th December 2023]

Soldato
th

Soldato
Missed the game and only caught the post match stuff on Sky. Have to be pleased with the point and clean sheet. In two minds whether to watch it back or not. Sounds like we frustrated Liverpool and they continue to be slightly off it despite their accumulation of points. Looks like Hojlund missed a decent chance also. Not surprised we were more solid without Fernandes - what's people's views on him being missing and how it impacted the game? Clearly he's often our most creative player but's he's also our most wasteful of possession. I still think he was a major factor in last years Anfield massacre.

Soldato
Can't believe I bebcge
Well that was garbage. That's up there with the worst Utd side in the last 5 years, and there's been lots of them, but our attacking play was abysmal. It's always easier with hindsight but the likes of Jones, Gakpo and Elliott should have been starting games like that. Against a side only looking to defend you need to work the ball about but we had a team of runners and we just ran into dead ends. That said, from the sheer volume of attempts and corners, it's amazing we didn't bundle one in.
Attacking was absolutely non existent.
Defensively we were pretty good for the first time in ages. Dalot, Evans, Varane, Shaw actually looked like a decent defensive unit.
Of course that's Dalot out for how long?

Hojlund just isn't getting any service. He doesn't gey that much even when Fernandes plays but with him missing we have nothing creatively. His chance was good but not a sitter at that range with the keeper in a good position.

Last edited:
Soldato
Missed the game and only caught the post match stuff on Sky. Have to be pleased with the point and clean sheet. In two minds whether to watch it back or not. Sounds like we frustrated Liverpool and they continue to be slightly off it despite their accumulation of points. Looks like Hojlund missed a decent chance also. Not surprised we were more solid without Fernandes - what's people's views on him being missing and how it impacted the game? Clearly he's often our most creative player but's he's also our most wasteful of possession. I still think he was a major factor in last years Anfield massacre.
If you’re having trouble sleeping, go for it!

We still have McT on the pitch so Mainoo was doing a lot of hard graft. Amrabat… who knows.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone think that Villa have a chance with everyone being so inconsistent?
We'll fall away at some point, just enjoying being up there for the time being. Silly suspensions don't help and a few injuries could really derail us. Think top 4 is a fair target now but you just know city will go on a ridiculous untouchable winning streak at some point and blitz everyone.

Soldato
People keep saying no but this isn't a fluke, we're second in the league over the last 39 games (year to date), second only to City. I really can't see them getting their act together enough to go on their usual run this season either. Our depth is solid and with Moreno and Ramsay back (both involved in the goals today) our bench is as strong as I have ever seen it in my 20+ years following them. We were missing Digne, Douglas Luiz and Tielemanns today, Luiz especially is arguably our best player this season. Kamara was stupid but thankfully he's only going to miss Burnley, Sheffield United and Man United, all of which we have the ability to beat without him. We don't have to worry about Europe again until March and we're out of the League Cup so we have a pretty breezy run until then. A proper CDM cover for Kamara and possibly a RB and there's no holes in our squad imo.

Anyway I can't ******* wait to be top on friday :D.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Leaving this here from a couple of weeks back and I stand by it!

Football has been far too tolerant of dissent, and harassment and disrespect of the ref for far too long. The sending off in this match was rather absurd, from what I saw, but overall, dealing more harshly with badly behaved players is a good thing. No other major sport puts up with players as lacking in basic professionalism as Football; it can and should do better.

Soldato
I missed the end of the game. Did Dalot really get 2 yellows for 2 reactions within about 10s of each other. Nunez did exactly the same thing earlier in the game.
Watched the game back and yes he did. It was bizarre, utterly bizarre. Tbh Mike Oliver should have been carded for petulance.
I thought it was a credible performance from United given all the challenges. Still well short of good but something to build on. I hope ten Hag sticks with Mainoo and someone beside him although I'm not at all convinced by Amrabat. He's basically just a better tackler than McSauce. Rasmus missed another good chance and I'm starting to get concerned about him. Let's hope he is not another Darwin Nunez :)
A big loss wouldn't have seen the end for ten Hag but it might have been the beginning of the end so I'm glad the noise will die down and we can focus on trying to get a performance against Wham at the weekend.

Soldato
It's down to consistency again isn't it?

No issue with a second yellow for continuing to rant and rave after the first card is given, but it needs to happen every time.

And then the whole giving yellows for inciting a referee to give a card, I was screaming at Yates to STFU on Friday night because he got away with a couple of those stupid little attempts to influence the ref.

Associate

If we don't believe we can do it now then I doubt we'll get the same chance again any time soon. All the usual suspects are flagging and whilst there's still half the season yet to play we HAVE to believe that we're in with a chance. Our teams as good as any on paper and whilst we do lack a little depth in places Emeri will likely be able to chase down anyone he wants come the January window. Any of the top 3 could go on a mad charge of course, but if we can keep our home form ticking over and scrape results like yesterday away, why shouldn't we be classed as one of the favorites? We're consistently proving the critics wrong.

Contrary to what everyone thought, the injuries at the start of the season have seen second favorites flourish to the point that those coming back are REALLY going to have to prove themselves to earn there spots in the starting 11. We arguably have the best midfield in the league, the best goalkeeper and a striker that's so on form that it's only history breaking Kane keeping him from the starting 11 in the England squad.

It's a slim chance, but it's the best shout we've had since the late 90s. Either way, it's an incredible time to be a fan and some of the memories made this season will stay with me for a long, long time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's down to consistency again isn't it?

No issue with a second yellow for continuing to rant and rave after the first card is given, but it needs to happen every time.

And then the whole giving yellows for inciting a referee to give a card, I was screaming at Yates to STFU on Friday night because he got away with a couple of those stupid little attempts to influence the ref.

You will not have consistency when Michael Oliver is reffing United games.

Associate
Mainoo played decent. That red for Dalot was ridiculous and Amrabat has been poor. Liverpool didn't have their shooting boots on and had more shots than the drubbings from last year.

Enjoying seeing Villa mix it up at the top and festive period fixtures will be a real test for all.

Back
Top Bottom