Have been hacked - lost access to accounts etc

Man of Honour
Hey, hope somebody can shine some light on this little problem for me. Not even sure this is the right place for this, so feel free to move.

My son received an email yesterday from Microsoft which asked him to change a password. Yes I know, he is 13, and made a stupid mistake :( So tonight we started to have money taken out of the accounts etc etc. I’ve frozen the cards and notified the bank. No problem there and I’ve done everything I can. But the scammers have stolen my Microsoft/hotmail account which is proving more problematic and have apparently locked me out of it. I’ve filled out the recovery form so is it just a waiting game? The IP addresses point to the far east just out of interest

Caporegime
Called bank - important.
Do you use the same password on any other important logins or are there any important (read: financially vulnerable) accounts which rely on your hotmail account details?

Associate
Hey, hope somebody can shine some light on this little problem for me. Not even sure this is the right place for this, so feel free to move.

My son received an email yesterday from Microsoft which asked him to change a password. Yes I know, he is 13, and made a stupid mistake :( So tonight we started to have money taken out of the accounts etc etc. I’ve frozen the cards and notified the bank. No problem there and I’ve done everything I can. But the scammers have stolen my Microsoft/hotmail account which is proving more problematic and have apparently locked me out of it. I’ve filled out the recovery form so is it just a waiting game? The IP addresses point to the far east just out of interest

Truth is use another pc to change your passwords. Then you need to format your pc.
Save documents onto usb.

You might need to make a new ms account for windows 11. I really dislike this forced outlook accounts for windows 11 just make life more complicated.

I always have two HDD on my pc. One with the os and another for my documents.
Maybe you should have a few accounts on your pc.
One for guests, users and admin.

Last edited:
Commissario
also I can’t even kill the account because i can’t login
IIRC if you've paid for anything by card etc that can help when trying to regain control of the likes of a game account, or used to back in the Ultima Online days as suitably senior CS used to be able to see at least some of the card information which can help with account recovery.

Soldato
Did you ever install the Microsoft authenticator app on your phone?

It prompts you to confirm a number when singing in, that's what it will be asking for (or just a simple tap approve, depends on the device signing in)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom