Help needed for new gaming laptop

Associate
Hi there,
I am purchasing a first gaming laptop for my daughter. She is low level gamer playing Minecraft roblox etc. She would also be using it mainly for her university studies . I am looking to spend between 700 and 900 pounds.

Any help or recommendations would be very much appreciated thank you

Soldato
At this price, and with uni as a focus, I would be prioritising good battery life, portability, screen, silent running and productivity over gaming. Also cheaper gaming laptops often require the proprietary power supply and won't always charge from USB C power banks etc.

If Gaming then:

Something like an ASUS TUF Gaming A15 15.6" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7, RTX 3060, 512 GB SSD @£799

The reason I like the TUF gaming laptops at the cheaper end is when not gaming, on the right models you do get decent battery life still.

There are various TUF options from £650-£1000 and even the i5/r5 CPU versions are fine if you get the 16gb Ram versions.

A RTX4050 or RTX3060 is all you need.

A alternative would be HP Victus 15.6in i5 16GB 512GB RTX4050 Gaming Laptop @£849

However, a 1.2kg laptop vs 2.4kg makes a significant difference though so I would pick something like

An ACER Swift Go 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7 (13700), 16gb RAM, 512 GB SSD, Silver @£699 which weighs 1.2kg has a touch screen and Thunderbolt 4.

Or the ASUS Zenbook 14 UX3402VA 14" Laptop – Intel® Core™ i5 (1340p), 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Blue @£799 which has an epic oled 2.8k screen.

Integrated graphics will still run Minecraft / Roblox etc fine.

For more serious gaming, a mid tier Geforce Now subscription is the way forward.

Associate
OP
That's a huge help. Thank you very much for the time you have taken.

Atm I seem to be gravitating towards the gigabyte G5. Doesn't seem to be too many negatives to this?...

Soldato
That's a huge help. Thank you very much for the time you have taken.

Atm I seem to be gravitating towards the gigabyte G5. Doesn't seem to be too many negatives to this?...

Battery life can be pretty poor on the G5 depending on specific model and it's not something you'd lug to lectures etc.

Back
Top Bottom