High Intensity Discharge light kit fitted to my car:Pics

Soldato
Well, as some of you know I said I was going to get rid of the Calibra after I bought my X-Type Jag a few months ago, but it ended up that I decided to keep it as to be honest, it was worth more to me keeping and running it into the ground than it was to sell privately.

With that considered, I have been using it more for the colder and wetter nights to commute to work and the RSV has been tucked up in semi-hibernation mode for the winter.

I knew for a while that the headlights on the Calibra were a pile of poo, so last week I decided to do something about it. I had tried uprated bulbs etc, but they were really no better, the problem with Calibra light output stems more from the inferior wiring loom fitted to early models than the bulbs themselves.

So after a good bit of digging around online for information, I decided to retrofit a High Intensity Discharge kit to it.

And what a HUGE difference it has made. I cant understand why I hadn't done this earlier. The lights are fantastic now, even better than my factory fit Xenons on the Jaguar. I'm actually thinking of buying another kit to fit to the Jag itself!!

I'm also definately going to get a hold of a single light kit for the Mille. After using this for a a few days I just cant go back to driving with standard halogens.

Anyway, here's the pictures. Excuse the quality of some of them, a few were taken on my phone, some were on the digicam.

Click all thumbnails for full size images.

LED White Xenon sidelights only

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
HID headlights AND highbeam

Notice the difference in colour temperature.

Drivers side is HID, passenger side is standard H1 bulb

frontoffside13ww.jpg

I posted a thread including how to wire these up with some pics of the wiring looms and bulbs etc on a couple of Vauxhall and Calibra forums, if anyone wants any info on fitting these, let me know and I'll link ya up.

Best money/improvement I've spent on a car ever to be quite honest!!

Soldato
OP
The entire kit cost me £155 inc postage.

wiring14ug2nd.jpg

dscf00259dd.jpg

Here's the link, its in the first part of the thread above, its a bloke on eBay:-

CLICK HERE!!

And the actual kit I bought from him on eBay:-

CLICK HERE!!

Factor in another £5 for heavy duty velcro strips and some longer cable ties ( the ones in the kit are really too short ).

Sounds a lot of cash, but the difference it makes is incredible and more than worth it.

great advice said:
Do you use the club calibra site? a mate of mine Jay runs it :) still havent had a proper look at it yet though lol

Yeah, been on there for a while now, good bunch of lads and good info too.

Thread on ClubCalibra.net

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate these uber bright white bulbs. Talk about being blinded by them :mad:

Still, it's a very nice mod and cleans the look of the car up no end. :)

Permabanned
Arn't you supposed to have a self leveling motor by law? You wont pass your MOT without it. You will also blind every on coming driver...

Soldato
OP
Negative.

Its a HUGE grey area as far as retro-fit HID's go.

There's no hard and fast rules laid down. Even a lot of MoT testers dont know the small details.

I'm a responsible driver m8. After these were fitted, I went out in the Jag and had the wife drive towards me in the Calibra ( on the other side of the road.....lol!!! ) repeatedly, to check against just that blinding issue.

There were no problems at all. Drive towards my Cally on the road and its no different to driving towards say an Audi or a Merc with HID's. There's no blinding apparent at all.

The good thing is if you ever came up against an MoT tester who was adamant that you were going to fail, it takes @10 mins to remove the whole set up and refit the standard bulbs.

Taken from a retro-fit HID kit suppliers website:-

Both versions of our HID systems are DOT approved, MOT approved and fully E-compliant in all safety, E.M. emmission and performance specifications. As far as we are aware these are the only HID kits on the market that meet all these requirements.

This makes our kits ROAD LEGAL ; there is a lot of misinformation regarding the legality of HID systems fitted to cars without headlamp power wash and rear axle self levelling ...these are only an E.U. legal requirement on Xenon systems fitted to NEW cars AT THE FACTORY PRODUCTION STAGE .

HID systems fitted as an aftermarket accessory DO NOT REQUIRE the car to have power wash or self levelling ; even the DOT get this wrong sometimes .... our expensive lawyers did not!
:cool:

Soldato
Hmm :)

Fancy one of these for the Hornet.. Can only find one on ebay though and its Nearly £100 .
How small is the Ballast unit as it has to fit on a naked bike.

Persil

Soldato
My mate did this to his Calibra too and there was a MASSIVE improvement

I cheated and just fitted blue 90/100w bulbs to mine and they are just as good, but only cost £20 lol. Just passed the MOT with them on too, result!

Soldato
OP
Persil said:
Fancy one of these for the Hornet.. Can only find one on ebay though and its Nearly £100 .
How small is the Ballast unit as it has to fit on a naked bike.

Persil

They are about the same size as a packet of 20 cigs m8.

A guy I know fitted one to his Aprilia RSV with good results.

Pics here:-

http://www.byphotos.com/album/1514878

The ballast box is the silver unit you see in the middle of the "box" picture.

I intend slapping one on my own RSV soon too. :cool:

Soldato
OP
Lopéz said:
Now I'm really, really tempted. Did you get bummed by the Government for import duty?

Nope m8, not a bean. I think what happens with that particular seller is he gets them supplied from overseas and then retails them/dispatches them from within the UK. ;)

Persil said:
Just thinking it might be cheaper to buy a car kit and split the cost with someone else..works out a lot cheaper .

Persil

Not a bad idea. All you would need to do is find a second person who has the same dipped beam bulb format (H4, H7 etc ), as your bike on their bike and hook up with them to sort the details out. :cool:

If your running an H4 as your headlight bulb on your bike, i might be interested in going halfers with you as I run an H4 in the headlight of the RSV.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
What colour/temp did you go for, 6000k?

Very tempting, easy to install? My only worry would be my inteptitude in fitting it in to the existing wiring so they can actually be used :)

Back
Top Bottom