*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Associate
A third noooooooooo!

I guess at least when the time is right you can just buy a bike in the knowledge that you have the license.

EDIT: That £500 quote wasn't with MCE was it? If so then look into them carefully. They are generally regarded as the worst insurer and recently cancelled many people's policies.

Funny enough, yes it was :cry: I've heard bad things about them before so was highly skeptical with that result.

Soldato
A third noooooooooo!

I guess at least when the time is right you can just buy a bike in the knowledge that you have the license.

EDIT: That £500 quote wasn't with MCE was it? If so then look into them carefully. They are generally regarded as the worst insurer and recently cancelled many people's policies.

They cancelled because the insurer behind it went into administration, now it is another company that is behind it, called Sabre.

I got both my bikes insurances cancelled by them and went with them again as it was less than half of any other company, never had to make a claim so I don't know how good or bad they are.

Man of Honour
They cancelled because the insurer behind it went into administration, now it is another company that is behind it, called Sabre.

I got both my bikes insurances cancelled by them and went with them again as it was less than half of any other company, never had to make a claim so I don't know how good or bad they are.
As far as I recall, the insurer behind it that went into administration was an MCE company. So one of their companies went into administration, they cancelled everyones insurance losing most people a years no claims bonus, and the main "front end" MCE company continued. I may be slightly wrong on the details but a lot of people on r/motouk were extremely angry about it at the time.

Even before that people were complaining about them with difficulty getting a payout when needed. They are useful for new riders to build up some no claims though (asdsuming they don't pull another administration stunt again).

Soldato
Joined the CBT club today. First time on a bike but training was excellent and apart from mounting the kurb on the first corner of the roadride it went reasonably well. :cry:

I was originally aiming to do DAS in January but the instructor advised me to get a 125 and really practice on that before jumping into bigger stuff. For me I think that's sensible and I can then do a DAS with a lot more confidence.

Soldato
Joined the CBT club today. First time on a bike but training was excellent and apart from mounting the kurb on the first corner of the roadride it went reasonably well. :cry:

I was originally aiming to do DAS in January but the instructor advised me to get a 125 and really practice on that before jumping into bigger stuff. For me I think that's sensible and I can then do a DAS with a lot more confidence.
There’s nothing wrong with getting a 125 for a while to get your road confidence up but you’ll be learning on a 650cc bike for your DAS so you’ll have to get on one eventually.

Just go for your DAS now and get it done, you can then even ride your 125 without L plates while you search for a decent first bike.

Associate

I passed my CBT in July and the difference in my confidence and ability in the time since is incredible. time on the 125 cannot hurt so ride on ;)

Soldato
Passed my CBT a couple of months back, bought myself a new Royal Alloy. Great for nipping to the shops, short rides into the countryside etc etc.
Time to do my DAS and get a 300cc one.

Associate
Thanks mate.
I really do want a Lambretta, but the worry of breaking down etc etc I decided to go for new.
If I can afford a second scooter then def a Lambretta is my choice.
Mine's a new one too, can't be faffing around with a broken old scooter (not got the skills tbh) tossed a coin between the Lammy and the Royal Alloy and the Lammy won (thanks to the wife saying she preferred it)

Soldato
Failed mod 2 yesterday with an observation major a mere 30 seconds from it ending...yes FML. Think the examiner was just as disappointed than I was :D
Essentially screwed up at what is the worst roundabout I have ever experienced, decided to go round again, changed lanes and didn't lifesaver - instant fail.
It was a perfect ride up until then he said, no minors nothing. Still got on my 125 today and had some fun on the commute so not the end of the world, just annoying really especially as its likely another 1 month+ until I can retake due to availability.

Oh and the roundabout in question, coming from the west and going south (third exit) I entered in the third lane but half way round the middle merge lane arrow states go right not straight , so I was confused and thats when I decided to go round again...seems like at least to me I should have been in the middle lane on entry to then catch the merger lane going straight into third exit. **** knows, going to go and see it in the car at the weekend to make sense of it, but at the end of the day I should have just stayed in lane and I would have been able to get into the 'go straight' lane on the second pass.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to hear dude, I'ts amazing how different it feels on a bike compared to a car. I did my test round Kings Lynn where I've driven a thousand times and even then, on a bike the roads just seem so different. I found myself questioning which lane i needed to be in when approaching roundabouts even though i knew exactly which lane lead where :confused: Do you know if the examiner only uses one route or is there multiple he could choose from?

Soldato
Yeh bike can often feel very different , but I'm kind of used to that now.
At the end of the day I just lost my nerve, even my wife thinks I'm over thinking roundabouts now :cry:

Somehow managed to get a retest on the 26 Jan which is way sooner than expected. Its in a totally different place (Again somewhere iv never been) Farnborough but looking at some test route videos it seems like there are no crazy surprises really. We shall see what happens..

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, but they’ll retain their money when you come sell.
Don’t underestimate how small the 675 is.
I was going to buy one a few years ago, but it was just to cramped a riding position.

Back
Top Bottom