HTC Vive to cost $799?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
When I was in the US last year, DK2s were available for $350. I know that the DK2 is not as good as the CV1 and Vive, but at just over £200, I do wish I'd bought one now.

Soldato
Lots reporting this, price seems true.

Be interesting what the final UK price is inc. tax and shipping. £650-£700?

Associate
Depends what you want the controllers for. They should be an expensive addition rather than automatically bundled.
I want to play Elite again and possibly a racing sim. Both won't need hand controllers, just a good joystick.

I can imagine (and that's all it is at this moment) that there will be lots of Nintendo wii type controller games that are fun to start with but have no longevity.
I have a mouse and keyboard that does me fine for nearly every game I own. Make it so that it's some how represented in my virtual world too :) and save me money (until it's Christamas or birthday and I can ask for cash to splash out on the add ons)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a lot of money but seems to have better features and hardware than Oculus

Most of the Vive's advantages the Rift will catch up with, and by all accounts it has the marginally better optics and screens.

I've no doubt the Vive is the best piece of technology overall, but I'm still not convinced on room-scale for this first generation. IMO the seated experience still needs sorting first.

I think I'll still be sticking with the Rift as I'd rather pay for a still-great experience at a lower price, than a more expensive experience which we may not see the full benefits of yet.

Last edited:
Associate
While the opportunities afforded by the Vive are interesting from a developer stand-point, I feel that the adoption rate is always going to be lower for the 'full experience'. I will pick one up eventually but designing for virtual worlds is already challenging enough and I would like to target the largest consumer market first, before hoping to sell software to the segment that can afford the 'complete package'.

Associate
Depends what you want the controllers for. They should be an expensive addition rather than automatically bundled.

Don't agree. I think decent hand inputs are crucial to the success of VR. I've got a DK2 and a GearVR and without proper controllers I can't see it taking off at all. Oculus not managing to get Touch out at the same time as the headset is a bit of a cockup if you ask me.

Associate
Don't think a price like that will be conducive to VR becoming mainstream at all, even amongst PC gamers. Whilst I haven't tried out any VR headsets before and therefore can't comment on their merits, I'm not willing to take a punt on it at that kind of price. Maybe around the £300 to £400 mark I'd consider it.

Soldato
I do agree they should be an addition, for early adopeters. A lot of the experiences I am looking for wont require tracked controllers, as I will be using steering wheel or HOTAS joystick.

I do agree though that to sell the experience to the masses, tracked controllers will be required. But I can't see the masses be willing to spend $799 on a piece of tech like this, not yet.
I will likely look at buying the Vive too, but I will have to work out where exactly I could do use it, as that's my main limiting factor on room scale VR.

Soldato
Don't think a price like that will be conducive to VR becoming mainstream at all, even amongst PC gamers. Whilst I haven't tried out any VR headsets before and therefore can't comment on their merits, I'm not willing to take a punt on it at that kind of price. Maybe around the £300 to £400 mark I'd consider it.

They have said that the CV1 is aimed at early adopters/enthusiasts with good systems, so if it's priced out of range for you, you're not where it's currently targeted. Expect price drops for future gens, or of course Morpheus out later this year which will most likely be reasonably priced as a PS4 peripheral.

Associate
Don't agree. I think decent hand inputs are crucial to the success of VR. I've got a DK2 and a GearVR and without proper controllers I can't see it taking off at all. Oculus not managing to get Touch out at the same time as the headset is a bit of a cockup if you ask me.

Fair enough, all the games I've played have been fine using mouse and keyboard or my HOTAS.

I'm am really wanting to use touch controllers but only if it's a must have.
I'll admit to watching a video of people playing Surgeon simulator with the controllers and it looked really cool but again it's a party game rather than something I'll play hours on end like Elite.

Nothing but good will come of all this and I hope to spend a good many hours playing with as many versions and controllers as possible.

Just need that one killer game to nail it for the less fortunate masses.

Soldato
TBH at the moment all I'm bothered about is using it with racing sims and Oculus Cinema, if there are some great roomscale/touch required games and apps in 6 months-1 years time then fantastic, but currently even the best and most polished stuff like Job Simulator is only good for a quick go here and there, it's not going to keep you in VR.

Associate
It would be nice if we knew how much the oculus controllers would cost so if people wanted could decide what the best/cheapest whole experience would cost.

Soldato
I'm am really wanting to use touch controllers but only if it's a must have.
I'll admit to watching a video of people playing Surgeon simulator with the controllers and it looked really cool but again it's a party game rather than something I'll play hours on end like Elite.

This is where I stand on the controllers....I've not experienced anything to convince me they will be anything more than a Wii Sports like novelty. VR's killer feature is the headset.

Apart from the lack of games available, anything that requires motion controllers is physically tiring....and believe me, sweating in a Vive is not nice.

Back
Top Bottom