Is 100Hz enough?

Man of Honour
Weird, I didn't even notice any difference going from 60hz to 100hz.
It's immediately obvious going from 60 to 100 even in Windows desktop just moving the cursor is enough to notice a drastic difference:

The difference between 100 and 120 though is much harder and on a non OLED you wouldn't notice at all, on OLED it is noticeable though due to the basically instant pixel response on OLED, but after 120Hz even on OLED it's not noticeable even at 175Hz. For competitive gaming 240Hz may be of benefit but you then also need to have a suitably fast polling rate mouse and other factors to align as well.

I did a quick test, 1000Hz mouse and video recorded at 120fps. You can visibly see the cursor movement judder at 60Hz which is pretty much gone at 100Hz. At 120Hz the motion of the cursor is just more refined smoothness but I'd be perfectly happy with 100Hz for example.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g5nX0KmZEPvkmcJCLHMJEsZll51zOc-i/view?usp=sharing (download it locally, do not play in the web player obviously).

Soldato
Would something like this (£769) be a good purchase? Screen burn guarantee covered by warranty on oleds?

27" ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM Gaming Monitor from ASUS​

Soldato
Model no.?

Why’s the ROG so expensive with good reviews then?
Monitor price varies between region just for the same screen for some reason the AW3225QF is much cheaper here than in the US (it was launched at $1300). The MSI & ROG versions with similar panels tend to com with more features compared to the Dell say.

Anyway I have an X34 UW still in use though it's now doing office duty. Text clarity of that is near to the AW3225QF 4K OLED I just purchased. 100Hz is still fine for me on a fast panel but IPS glow, BLB (Back Light Bleed) in the corners, slower response time and lower contrast just means monitor tech has moved on from it.

I have 3 large screens but for text clarity my AW3423DW 3440x1440 OLED is behind the AW3225QF & X34. The AW3423DW has been a great monitor for over a year and VRR flicker was never an issue on it's 175Hz. Only recently found that was an issue on high refresh OLED.

Now I have the AW3225QF I have a choice of running the panel at 240Hz and occasionally seeing VRR flicker in a few games or running it at 120Hz (currently no middle refresh due to reasons) and not.

If you think you'll have static windows/images (several hours at a time) on an OLED or you mostly do productivity then probably avoid. Mixed games/stream/browse/office is the way to use them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's immediately obvious going from 60 to 100 even in Windows desktop just moving the cursor is enough to notice a drastic difference:

The difference between 100 and 120 though is much harder and on a non OLED you wouldn't notice at all, on OLED it is noticeable though due to the basically instant pixel response on OLED, but after 120Hz even on OLED it's not noticeable even at 175Hz. For competitive gaming 240Hz may be of benefit but you then also need to have a suitably fast polling rate mouse and other factors to align as well.

I did a quick test, 1000Hz mouse and video recorded at 120fps. You can visibly see the cursor movement judder at 60Hz which is pretty much gone at 100Hz. At 120Hz the motion of the cursor is just more refined smoothness but I'd be perfectly happy with 100Hz for example.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g5nX0KmZEPvkmcJCLHMJEsZll51zOc-i/view?usp=sharing (download it locally, do not play in the web player obviously).

Disagree tbh, with higher refresh rate, oled only benefits more as the pixel response time is so fast, the refresh rate really needs to be higher to really show that benefit for motion clarity. 144hz is plenty but I do notice a nice boost with 175hz when the fps can hit that high.

Man of Honour
Let's be real, no modern game is going to be running anywhere above 144fps anyway when all of the tech we are now seeing is in use, even a 5090 isn't going to sustain 175fps at all times. We won't be there until 60 series really. Older/raster games though? Sure perhaps.

Ok the 6090 isn't out, but we can still speculate based on leaked info as of recent times and Nvidia track record :p

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I have always used 60hertz since don't game but.... yesterday I set my LG C2 to 120 hertz and the mouse is so much smoother and better.

I am over due a main monitor upgrade but waiting on the Oleds and 4k within 28-32" sizes, plenty are there but will see.

Associate
l6vSuK.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom