Is 100Hz enough?

Associate
No decent monitor has blur... Jamesmay talking **** again like he does in every post...

Id be amazed if hes even seen a 21:9 monitor before with his own eyes..

Lol what type of silly comment is that, do you think you're the only person that can fork out a grand for a monitor?

Associate
Changing my monitor from 144hz to 100hz made a noticeable difference, but it was only slight. I wouldn't mind playing at 100hz on a 3440x display

Soldato
I find the jump from 144 hz to 100hz noticeable, but nothing quiet as dramatic as moving to 60 hz. On the whole 100hz is a nice figure and I would take 21:9 + 100hz over 144hz and 16:9. The immersion more then makes up for the slightly lower refresh rate.

See what games you play, a pair of 980Tis do a cracking job with 3440 X 1440 if SLI is supported well, could be the route to go down. Having said that, even a single 980Ti does a good job. May be worth saving your monies for big pascal as being honest a single 1080 is not a massive jump and still hard to drive some titles with a single 1080. Hopefully a single pascal Titan / 1080Ti will remedy that.

Soldato
Lol what type of silly comment is that, do you think you're the only person that can fork out a grand for a monitor?

lol

not at all but go back thru every thread he comments in and its negative post after negative post after negative post. he never has anything decent to say about 21:9 monitors or any ultrawide in that case..

when they are by far the best gaming monitors around at the moment and when u see one setup correctly there is nothing negative whatsoever to say about them.. and i have a very good x34 with hardly any IPS glow zero scan line

only reason i bought one was cause i won a ****load from a footy bet..

Associate
No decent monitor has blur... Jamesmay talking **** again like he does in every post...

Id be amazed if hes even seen a 21:9 monitor before with his own eyes..

Talking ****? They're facts lol.

And in what ****ing way was I negative? You got serious issues.

It is also obvious to me that you've never actually experienced Lightboost/Blur Reduction and/or fast TN panels.
The XL2411Z is miles beyond any "Gaming" IPS panel to date when it comes to image clarity during motion but then again how would you know?
I'd bet money you've never actually experienced high framerates either.

Tell me theres no blur.
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0

Seriously, going from a 144hz display, esp TN, to a 100hz IPS is like turning on Motionblur.

Last edited:
Associate
I have an Acer x34 and a Dell S2716DG running side by side and I can say that 144hz 1ms is noticeably smoother than 100hz 4ms. The ultrawide simply isn't in the same ballpark for motion fluidity.

That said the x34 is pretty smooth for an IPS.

VTR

VTR

Soldato
OP
Talking ****? They're facts lol.

And in what ****ing way was I negative? You got serious issues.

It is also obvious to me that you've never actually experienced Lightboost/Blur Reduction and/or fast TN panels.
The XL2411Z is miles beyond any "Gaming" IPS panel to date when it comes to image clarity during motion but then again how would you know?
I'd bet money you've never actually experienced high framerates either.

Tell me theres no blur.
http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0

Seriously, going from a 144hz display, esp TN, to a 100hz IPS is like turning on Motionblur.

Just tested on my monitor by setting the Monitor Refresh rate through the Nvidia control panel. I can see a clear difference between 120Hz and 100Hz and a much more drastic difference between 60Hz and 100Hz. Maybe I would be better going for the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q panel? Undecided again following the last 2 posts.

Do OCUK have any on display to test out?

Associate
Just tested on my monitor by setting the Monitor Refresh rate through the Nvidia control panel. I can see a clear difference between 120Hz and 100Hz and a much more drastic difference between 60Hz and 100Hz. Maybe I would be better going for the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q panel? Undecided again following the last 2 posts.

Do OCUK have any on display to test out?

Pick whichever interests you the most.
If OCUK have a good return policy you could order one, not happy? return it and get the other.

Soldato
Well I just saw that Asus announced a 180hz screen, which will be the official monitor of Valve's The International, so obviously 100 isn't enough after all according to Valve and Asus. :D

Permabanned
I personally wont touch anything either like James without motion equal to ULMB or Strobing/blinking. All those wasted pixels around the world being rendered and yet blurred. Where is that sickbag oh wait too late i just thought about the same people who click Ultra preset to configure graphics in Battlefield and then render blurred pixels topped off with a performance crushing 4X MSAA pass which is then hidden by our old fiend again the eye rapist Mr Blur in the form of FXAA.

Until OLED the whole thing is a lottery im not moving from the FG2421 until they sort it out. I feel i won the lotto with the good panel i got and DSR can change the sharpness enough to squeeze out another year or two until there is greater choice. So whatever you buy do not under estimate DSR.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I just saw that Asus announced a 180hz screen, which will be the official monitor of Valve's The International, so obviously 100 isn't enough after all according to Valve and Asus. :D

They announced it back in May. :) It's the PG248Q and I'll be reviewing it very soon. I'm quite curious to see how 180Hz works out on a monitor that can potentially make a good go of such a refresh rate (unlike the Acer Z35).

Permabanned
Mouse movement is what i would buy 180hz for but you will need DSR have you not played DOTA? It has no MSAA it looks garbage on the Eizo at 1080p which is not a mile off the size and res of the Asus. You will be running DSR or VSR 4X 0% smoothing if you are serious about Max IQ.

Battlefield is the same even 4xMSAA wont cut it at 1080p and i cannot get the monitor any further back. I hope it aint just my eyes getting old but i know as soon as i swap over to DSR everything is a million miles better and easier on the eyes yet at 1080p i just could never see who is in the foilage. How is that for irony? Im not a bad player far from it in FPS but PPI is crucial to how well i do and how much i enjoy the experience.

So if you can please test 4K DSR 180hz with a 1080? I am sure Vulkan will help with the fps! :D

Soldato
Mouse movement is what i would buy 180hz for but you will need DSR have you not played DOTA? It has no MSAA it looks garbage on the Eizo at 1080p which is not a mile off the size and res of the Asus. You will be running DSR or VSR 4X 0% smoothing if you are serious about Max IQ.

Battlefield is the same even 4xMSAA wont cut it at 1080p and i cannot get the monitor any further back. I hope it aint just my eyes getting old but i know as soon as i swap over to DSR everything is a million miles better and easier on the eyes yet at 1080p i just could never see who is in the foilage. How is that for irony? Im not a bad player far from it in FPS but PPI is crucial to how well i do and how much i enjoy the experience.

So if you can please test 4K DSR 180hz with a 1080? I am sure Vulkan will help with the fps! :D

DSR won't be any different on this monitor to others, as it is a GPU feature not a monitor feature. I'm not really sure what there is to test. Just subjective impressions which will differ for each individual user. But if you've seen a Full HD model of this sort of size running DSR already (you have), you'll know exactly what to expect.

Soldato
Having tried 165hz there is NO difference what so ever to 144hz at all. I can't see 180hz being much different. Other than desktop/mouse.

To be honest the vast majority of games I notice no difference from 100hz to 144/165hz. Only twitch shooters. And even then not by much at all.

Having had the pg348q for the past few weeks I am fully in tune with the 100hz. It feels fine and smooth/responsive even in twitch fps games. The 21:9 is awesome and I would for sure take it over 144hz 16:9 anyday.

I'll be staying with this panel until 100/120/144hz 21:9 4K, preferably OLED.

Associate
Thank God i've never seen more than 60hz, going from a 32inch 1080p TV to a Dell U3415W was an emotional experience!

It's only 60hz, but then my GTX 1080 on the Witcher 3 at absolute max on a 3440 x 1440, is about 60fps. So i'm happy. I play Star Wars Battlefront, but no extra frames are gonna make me any better at it. lol

Associate
Having tried 165hz there is NO difference what so ever to 144hz at all. I can't see 180hz being much different. Other than desktop/mouse.

To be honest the vast majority of games I notice no difference from 100hz to 144/165hz. Only twitch shooters. And even then not by much at all.

Having had the pg348q for the past few weeks I am fully in tune with the 100hz. It feels fine and smooth/responsive even in twitch fps games. The 21:9 is awesome and I would for sure take it over 144hz 16:9 anyday.

I'll be staying with this panel until 100/120/144hz 21:9 4K, preferably OLED.

144 - 165hz the difference is small because the pixels cant keep up introducing more ghosting/blur on IPS panels. The VA panels that reach 200hz can get as high as 50ms in pixelresponsetimes meaning smudgy looking images.

Back
Top Bottom