Is my monitor dying?

Associate
I have a 1440p VA curved panel 165hz TUF gaming monitor from ASUS. Model VG27WQ. It 3.5 years old and just out of warranty. (Typical!)

It’s connected via DP to main PC and I also connect it to work laptop via HDMI when I WFH.

DP used to run 165Hz in both desktop and games. Now I cannot get it above 100Hz

HDMI used to connect at 144Hz now only will do 120Hz.

I’ve ordered a new DP cable but not sure it is that.

Is my monitor starting to die a slow death? I’ve not had one fail like this before.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
What happens when you try to select a higher resolution? Is it defaulting to a lower one or not offering the option? Are you attempting to change via Windows Display Settings on both machines?

Associate
OP
Resolution is native 1440p. It is the refresh rate that has diminished.

Both machines no longer can hit the previous refresh rates. Windows display settings, or nvidia controls on main pc, no longer have higher refresh rates available.

Associate
Apologies, I meant refresh rate!

I've never experienced anything like that - a performance decrease rather outright failure sounds more like a software issue, but as it's affecting separate ports from separate sources, I'm at a loss to troubleshoot it. Is there anything within the monitor settings, such as a mode which might limit refresh rates for some reason? Have you raised a ticket with ASUS support?

Associate
Yes it is confusing.

Also occasionally it goes black for a split second. Both sources do this. But very occasionally, maybe only a few times a week.

I'd be getting on to ASUS. You may get either a solution, and even though the warranty period is three years they may offer some goodwill if it's not solvable/fixable.

Soldato
Windows issue?
Driver issue?
Could test with a live Linux or live windows usb
Assuming both devices are same windows version
And same driver version
Or mainly same windows version probably
Since windows updates have a habit of messing things up
Moreso than graphics drivers do

Likewise never had a monitor die slowly
And refresh rate decrease
So does kind of sound more like software

Associate
I stumbled upon this post because I was having the same issue (screen going black intermittently, but then gradually increasing in frequency over the weeks).

I hope you resolved your issue, but in my case it was a 10yr old Dell monitor that was flickering during POST (and even doing it when unconnected to the pc), so I knew it wasn't driver/GPU related.

I opened it up, had a look at the board and I noticed a blown capacitor! I've just replaced the capacitor and the monitor works fine now.

It's a bit drastic, but I got a resolution, and I'm posting this for anyone looking for a solution for something I've spent weeks searching for (to no avail)!

Back
Top Bottom