Is this a good pc build on a budget, any bottlenecking on Fortnite 1080p ultra low settings?

Man of Honour
ok good.
so for competitive settings 1080p dx12, you don't need high-end hardware

this chap has done it on a quad core 12100f + 3050:

fortnite at competitive settings is heavily cpu-bound, and with less demands on the gpu, so better to heavily invest in the cpu and make do with a reasonable gpu
with that in mind and your budget, if going to buy preowned components, i would recommend a 5800x3d with a 3060 (note it is the 5800x3d not the 5800x)
5800x3d fortnite comparison:

i am not recommending the latest AM5 build unless you have plans to upgrade in the future
the 5800x3d is a better cpu for fortnite competitive than the ryzen 7600 (closest price competitor)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not dx12 performance mode but isn’t amd better value?
that's just a string of words with no sense made

i'm going to answer my interpretation of it
for the cpu, yes amd cpus are better value in general, hence why i've recommended getting a amd ryzen 5800x3d
for the gpu, no, you should get a nvidia gpu because amd graphics cards have issues with fortnite (esp in dx11 mode)

Associate
OP
that's just a string of words with no sense made

i'm going to answer my interpretation of it
for the cpu, yes amd cpus are better value in general, hence why i've recommended getting a amd ryzen 5800x3d
for the gpu, no, you should get a nvidia gpu because amd graphics cards have issues with fortnite (esp in dx11 mode)
Sorry what I meant was: in Fortnite I plan on using performance mode. I had heard of amd being bad For Fortnite but thought it was a myth

Man of Honour
I plan on upgrading this computer so would you recommend am5?
yes, however you need to know that the ryzen 7600 is slower than the 5800x3d - see my previous post for the youtube vid comparison
for this, you do gain the advantage of swapping out the cpu later down the line for something that will be more powerful than the 5800x3d, so depends if you think that is worth the tradeoff

Sorry what I meant was: in Fortnite I plan on using performance mode. I had heard of amd being bad For Fortnite but thought it was a myth
amd graphics cards, yes, but not amd cpus
amd radeons have some issue running dx 11 performance mode, so would avoid and get a nvidia card instead

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So what 2nd hand cpu and gpu combo would you recommend and should I go with am5
ok good.
so for competitive settings 1080p dx12, you don't need high-end hardware

this chap has done it on a quad core 12100f + 3050:

fortnite at competitive settings is heavily cpu-bound, and with less demands on the gpu, so better to heavily invest in the cpu and make do with a reasonable gpu
with that in mind and your budget, if going to buy preowned components, i would recommend a 5800x3d with a 3060 (note it is the 5800x3d not the 5800x)
5800x3d fortnite comparison:

i am not recommending the latest AM5 build unless you have plans to upgrade in the future
the 5800x3d is a better cpu for fortnite competitive than the ryzen 7600 (closest price competitor)

Man of Honour
You have been super helpful thank you, anything to keep in mind with this?

not really. although just to note that you're sacrificing gpu performance for cpu performance to max out fortnite fps...but if that's all that you play then no biggies

Cooler(id cooling se-214 xt)=£18
Motherboard(msi b450 gaming plus max AM4)=£80
Memory(Corsair vengeance lpx 16gb)=£38
SSD(Kingston NV2 500gb)=£34
Case(montech x3 mesh)=£50
PSU(evga 850 bq)=£85
Total cost around £597

for the rest of the components
cooler: thermalright assassin king ak120 se - it's available for £16, so it's cheaper than the se-214xt. as a bonus, the ak120 se is also a better cooler (i've used both coolers before, so first hand experience)
motherboard: would get a b550 for that kind of prices you're quoting (you get pcie 4.0 for the b550 boards. b450 boards only have pcie 3.0)
memory: would opt for 32gb instead: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...4-pc4-25600c16-3200mhz-dual-ch-my-0aj-tg.html
ssd: would opt for a 1tb drive and a better drive than the kingston nv2: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lexa...-4.0-m.2-solid-state-drive-sto-lex-01452.html
case: can save a bit here to offset the other extra costs: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-inspire-series-k6-argb-micro-atx-case-black-ca-047-kk.html (i've used this case before, so, again, first hand experience and recommendation) - this is a micro atx case so will need a micro atx board
psu: the 5800x3d + 3060 combo is very power efficient, so savings to be made here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...us-bronze-atx-power-supply-pow-crs-01135.html

edit:
for the case, if you want a atx case then get this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-inspire-series-k7-argb-midi-tower-case-black-ca-048-kk.html

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Can’t find the cooler on pc part picker. apparently 32 gb doesn’t make that much of a difference. I will buy the parts in a while so not sure about the cases as I believe they are on sale for limited time.

Last edited:
Soldato
You have to take into account the Kolink cases only come with one fan so you will need to buy some intake fans.

The Montech X3 comes with six fans included.

For the PSU, i would pay the extra and get a gold rated one with at least a 7 year warranty and modular.

You may be ok with 16GB of RAM for Fortnite, but for the price i would get the 32GB kit

Example.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £83.99 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Man of Honour
You have to take into account the Kolink cases only come with one fan so you will need to buy some intake fans.

The Montech X3 comes with six fans included.

For the PSU, i would pay the extra and get a gold rated one with at least a 7 year warranty and modular.

fans are cheap to buy, and not really needed for a low power build that won't use 300w at full pelt
modularity is overrated, especially for a low wattage psu, this is me building in the kolink matx that i've linked:

not quite true tbh. here is mine with a vs550, there's plenty of space :)
literally building in it at the moment, so having first hand experience

kIJxfep.jpeg

Soldato
fans are cheap to buy, and not really needed for a low power build that won't use 300w at full pelt
modularity is overrated, especially for a low wattage psu, this is me building in the kolink matx that i've linked:

It does to an extent depend on the wired PSU to be fair, I have a BitFenix Formula Gold which while a fantastic PSU is like some sort of interstellar kraken. I've never in all my years came across a power supply with longer and stiffer cables, not usually a problem but when I crammed the thing into a MSI MAG Forge 100R (MATX) it was absolute hell.

Slightly more niche scenario in fairness, but I swear I still have sleepless nights thinking about it :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom