ITX or mATX with multi M2 slots

Soldato
I am looking at building a new UNRAID rig since my existing one is so noisy with x4 spinning HDDs so want to make an SSD/NVME alternative but having issues finding a future proof board. Does anyone know of an ITX or mATX mobo with x4 M2 slots? Ideally not expensive (ha).

Needs to cater for a graphics card for transcoding of course.

Thanks!

Soldato
You'll struggle to find an ITX board with 4 M.2 slots. The most I've seen on ITX boards from the main manufacturers is 3 and that's at the higher end cost-wise, the MSI Z790i for example.

I did look into mATX boards for a build but they seemed to max out about 3. There's likely to be more choice with 4 given the larger board size but again, I would imagine they would be at the more premium end of the pricing scale.

But with mATX, you get the additional PCIe slot/s, so you could add a multi M.2 card to expand upon the ones that are baked onto the board already.

Man of Honour
The only way I can see 4x M.2 slots on ITX would be placing 2 the rear. MATX does just about have the room, but X670/X670E and Z790 MATX boards aren't very common and you really need the higher-end chipset to have enough lanes.

Z790M Aorus Elite has 3x M.2 and 6x SATA.

Soldato
Does anyone know of an ITX or mATX mobo with x4 M2 slots?

You could put four drives in the PCIe x16 slot. I also saw recently either in an article or a YT video a motherboard that was an elongated ITX form factor - same width, different length - which gave it room for extra M.2 drives. Unfortunately Google is not being helpful.

Soldato
OP
All really good suggestions - thank you.

an iGPU and using the PCI-e for NVME's makes sense - in that case x2 slots is acceptable (x3 better of course!)

I am dreaming of my perfect UNRAID/Plex server here. x4 NVME's in a fanless case with x1 3.5" drive to chron job backup the NVME's.
My existing UNRAID setup is a racket (all those spinning drives).

Last chance is a massive SSD cache to have the drives spin down..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom