*** League of Legends ***

Associate
I suppose it depends how "hardcore" you want the game to be. I can see why the hardcore DotA pro's don't like the fact some things are simplified but I personally prefer the fact that all the games don't last an hour all the time since you can't deny. It's also easier for people to get into.

I don't see how you can say that LoL is not a team game. If you work together you will completely demolish a team that plays as solo heroes.

Soldato
I think the grass thing is terrible, takes out a lot of the point of setting up ganks, juking through trees etc when you can just sit in this grass and be invis...

This is the sort of thing people are talking about when they say hon is more "hardcore". The LoL system is easier to use, but offers less scope for players to develop "skill" [learn more about the game]

In HoN you can't simply run into a grass area to hide, you need to run between/behind individual trees or higher ground to move out of visibility and since fog of war takes a few hundred milliseconds to update you can often lose people that are chasing you, but you need to learn where the "juke spots" are. http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=6514

e.g this guy runs into the trees but could only be seen if they had followed him and were very close in the trees http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX7v0PMrdBY

Also you don't get as many attack/ability max range graphics, unless it's a spell, e.g. you can't see towers max range in hon, you just need to know it.

Both games are of a great genre and you can just pick them up and play yet it involves XP/character development.

Originally Posted by tals
I would be interested how close HoN does these or not at all

Kill stealing in hon is pretty daft, 1 person can do 99% of the work killing an enemy yet whoever gets the final hit will get a much larger proportion of the XP/gold. It leads to lots of rage in some games, and people holding back to get the kill, but the general opinion behind it is that you let the heroes that rely on powerful items take the kill and changing it will ruin the whole balance blah blah.

How easy it is to learn heroes/items is kinda subjective. 45 champions on LoL, 60 heroes in HoN. 113 items on LoL wiki, 121 items on hon wiki. I did find the hon shops confusing to start with, but they have since added a page of recommended items for each hero.
There's no AI or ingame tutorial mode though, you get thrown in at the deep end.

Soldato
is this browser based or a client download ? if so how big is the download ? cheers

**ignore I actually found the download page** ;p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Had a quick foray into HoN and backed out :) I can see moving between the two could be difficult.

So I hit lol, first game was a nightmare just got rolled badly - 2 of us were doing ok but even we weren't coordinating. So a bit down I hit the second game, not quite sure what happened to the second team - they made some bad calls early on and we just rolled them.

owned.jpg

Soldato
OP
is this browser based or a client download ? if so how big is the download ? cheers

**ignore I actually found the download page** ;p

Eekfek did you manage to grab it, I need to find some team players that are relaxed about playing - i.e not pros but just wanting some good games.

If anyone in this thread gets it or is thinking of doing so add me in game (talsworthy or steam talsworthy or xfire tals). I have a small commercial vent server which would help on the coordination as well. I generally play later i.e 9/10pm to midnight. Not going to be on much tonight or tomorrow night:(

Really enjoying this game and hope I can spread the love :)

Soldato
OP
Still playing this one a lot. Getting more used to the strategy now. The game is definitely of 3 parts:

1. Farm the creeps to level and try and keep the opposition outside of the xp. No one should die at this time but it's amazing how many do

2. Gank time, spot a lone enemy champion or champions under pressure - inform the team with an alt click which pings him and identifies him as a target then take him out. At this point the turrets should be going down

3. Rolling time, the team gets on a roll of enemy deaths and rolls forward clearing all those in it's way.

Incredible fun, now I've played in the region of 20+ games I have a better handle on how long games last. Most last up to 40 minutes. Occasionally you get a hum dinger but even that won't go beyond an hour.

Been playing the Annie character a lot but it's Annies turn for being available to everyone this week - she is quite a weak soul unless used well so choosing her tends to mark me as a noob or more than I am :) So i'm looking at other characters this week. Might go back to my rocket boy :)

Tals (xfire tals, steam talsworthy)

Associate
I have an issue when playing LoL that i just cant get around. My ping is fine and in the greed (ctrl-f) until i run up to the frontline tower and around the same time the first wave of creeps arrive. At this point my ping goes into the hundreds and even uptp 2500 etc which makes it totally unplayable.

I`ve run netstat -b or whatever it is and opened any ports i felt were necessary but it still does the same thing grr. Anyone have any ideas as I`d love to play this game properly ?!

Oh fyi I`m running win 7 x64 and router is an O2 thompson afaik.

Cheers

Associate
I play HoN and although it has it's faults I'd still rather play it that LoL

I think the graphics and general look of LoL is horrible. Granted some things in LoL are better, the UI, the shop and everything but after playing HoN I couldn't see myself playing LoL.

Normally, though, I play HoN with mates and we pretty much fill up a team which no doubt makes the game more fun :/ It also means that kill stealing isn't a problem.
I'd never played DotA, either, and I can see that without friends who had been playing DotA for quite a while I would've got rage and given up

Soldato
OP
I have an issue when playing LoL that i just cant get around. My ping is fine and in the greed (ctrl-f) until i run up to the frontline tower and around the same time the first wave of creeps arrive. At this point my ping goes into the hundreds and even uptp 2500 etc which makes it totally unplayable.

I`ve run netstat -b or whatever it is and opened any ports i felt were necessary but it still does the same thing grr. Anyone have any ideas as I`d love to play this game properly ?!

Oh fyi I`m running win 7 x64 and router is an O2 thompson afaik.

Cheers

I'm wondering if the router is getting overloaded, on mine if I am doing p2p stuff I can find the connection becomes unworkable. If you have another non thomson router to hand it could be worth trying that. Not had any issues of lag at all. Although I did try it when I was running an online backup and it lagged badly - expected I guess :)

I play HoN and although it has it's faults I'd still rather play it that LoL

I think the graphics and general look of LoL is horrible. Granted some things in LoL are better, the UI, the shop and everything but after playing HoN I couldn't see myself playing LoL.

Normally, though, I play HoN with mates and we pretty much fill up a team which no doubt makes the game more fun :/ It also means that kill stealing isn't a problem.
I'd never played DotA, either, and I can see that without friends who had been playing DotA for quite a while I would've got rage and given up

I do think it is down to personal preference - when I saw the videos of LoL I hated them - but now i'm playing it I love it and the extra touches like Annie throwing her teddy to the ground and various other animation they have embedded into the game. I also prefer the minimap which is much clearer on where your champions are and who they and the creeps can see.. Kill stealing I am guessing makes it much harder for a Noob to get into the game, effectively until you can do it forget getting any gold (not sure about xp in Hon - is that also stopped?)

Tals

Soldato
I reinstalled LoL a few days ago and have played 3-4 games, it just isn't as fun as HoN.
The UI is better than before, but the games just didn't seem as interesting and they were over much quicker (average hon game is around 40 mins).

The hero icons on the minimap is a good idea but they appear to have jaggy/torn lines, and they are much larger than HoN.

LoL recommended items are clearer, I just worked my way left to right.
Maybe due to the limited free heroes, but it seemed much easier to escape from ganks.

There's no way to make a game with random pub players without using matchmaking though? You either invite 9 others or you use matchmaking?

Soldato
OP
I reinstalled LoL a few days ago and have played 3-4 games, it just isn't as fun as HoN.
The UI is better than before, but the games just didn't seem as interesting and they were over much quicker (average hon game is around 40 mins).

The hero icons on the minimap is a good idea but they appear to have jaggy/torn lines, and they are much larger than HoN.

LoL recommended items are clearer, I just worked my way left to right.
Maybe due to the limited free heroes, but it seemed much easier to escape from ganks.

There's no way to make a game with random pub players without using matchmaking though? You either invite 9 others or you use matchmaking?

I'm not sure I understand the question - you can host a game (practice) still gains you IP and XP (50%) and then have players join that. In terms of a random game - that is what match making is?

Regarding between the two - I think it is personal preference, I dived back into HoN very briefly about a week ago as I had a friend who plays it but I just don't like it in comparison - i'll keep checking it out though and looking forward to the forthcoming tutorial. If the fanbase calmed down a bit and wasn't so caustic I think it would help the game as well. Certainly doesn't make me want to play it from the experiences I have had and appear to be continuing :(

Associate
HoN has a terrible terrible community, but as long as you can ignore it is fine! I am complete noob at HoN, and losing matches by being rolled is not fun but i have never found a game more exhilarating to play other than CS 1.6 back when i used to play it.

I had a match last night with 4 other friends, we played against player's with much higher PSR and K : D ratio, we lost but damn the game was so close it was amazingly good fun

I am learning and others who where as rubbish as myself are learning and improving loads, there's a ton more for myself to improve on and I cant wait for full release with the full features of the game implemented. HoN even got me to kick the wow habbit good and proper as I kept going back.

Im thinking of trying LoL but im not sure if going between the two would be good. Prehaps i'll download it and give it thrash it is free after all!

Soldato
OP
HoN has a terrible terrible community, but as long as you can ignore it is fine! I am complete noob at HoN, and losing matches by being rolled is not fun but i have never found a game more exhilarating to play other than CS 1.6 back when i used to play it.

I had a match last night with 4 other friends, we played against player's with much higher PSR and K : D ratio, we lost but damn the game was so close it was amazingly good fun

I am learning and others who where as rubbish as myself are learning and improving loads, there's a ton more for myself to improve on and I cant wait for full release with the full features of the game implemented. HoN even got me to kick the wow habbit good and proper as I kept going back.

Im thinking of trying LoL but im not sure if going between the two would be good. Prehaps i'll download it and give it thrash it is free after all!

I'd be very interested how you find it if you do. Give it 5 or so games then make the call. Yep 100% free. 10 characters always available which differ from week to week and you gain unlocks as you play. The only reason to pay is to support the developer and unlock characters quicker than waiting

Associate

From all I've heard LoL is better for people starting from no experience of these types of games.

I sucked the first 20 or so games I played at HoN because I didn't have a clue what to do :p I know people who've given up because the game certainly makes it hard if you dont know what to do and have no one telling you.

Soldato
I'm not sure I understand the question - you can host a game (practice) still gains you IP and XP (50%) and then have players join that. In terms of a random game - that is what match making is?

Regarding between the two - I think it is personal preference, I dived back into HoN very briefly about a week ago as I had a friend who plays it but I just don't like it in comparison - i'll keep checking it out though and looking forward to the forthcoming tutorial. If the fanbase calmed down a bit and wasn't so caustic I think it would help the game as well. Certainly doesn't make me want to play it from the experiences I have had and appear to be continuing :(

Practice games are what I was describing, but I presumed they were just offline/AI games :o

There are some really awful aspects of hon (leavers, people planting feeders on opposite team, people griefing using heroes, people feeding on purpose because they are losing, a really bad voting system, some people just rage all the time) and they basically make you want to unistall the game because it's so frustrating, but a lot of that is due to the way people can easily just make a new account, which obviously will cost $30 when the game is released.

I think much of the rage is because HoN sucks when you are losing, you can have games where you personally do fine, but your team lose but usually if anyone in your team is losing, you all are.
If you are playing HoN, I would advise against playing Easy Mode (EM) games, most people start out on EM and move to non-EM, but EM is almost like a whole different game from nonEM. It's not really easier, it's just different.

I found picking up the basics of LoL fairly easy.

Soldato
OP
Yep practice games can include AI but can be whatever combination you like. You also have access to the 3 player map in it as well. The only downside is the 50% ip. That said I played through a full ai game (mad I know) and got the IP for it lol :)

My revelation in LoL today was discovering that Annie giggles when she is ready for her stun attack - awesome :)

Associate
I think much of the rage is because HoN sucks when you are losing, you can have games where you personally do fine, but your team lose but usually if anyone in your team is losing, you all are.
If you are playing HoN, I would advise against playing Easy Mode (EM) games, most people start out on EM and move to non-EM, but EM is almost like a whole different game from nonEM. It's not really easier, it's just different.

Yeah, I played about 10 EM games out of the 250 -300 total I've played and occasionally I play against a 5 man fixed with about 65%or more EM games played. They lose more often than not because the game is kind of different.

Associate
Got my first proper win this earlier this evening. Was playing as Master Yi and once I'd got a little ahead of the opponent's leveling curve I was pretty much a ganking machine :) Was awesome fun. They still managed a bit of a comeback but while they were focused on busting into our base we took out all three inhibitors and it was game over.

I'm starting to really like the graphics and the art style in general. In the next few days I'm gonna give HoN another crack as a direct comparison but from what I remember it wasn't as much fun as LoL.

Back
Top Bottom