LG OLED 2024 thread - A4, B4, C4, G4

Soldato
it's that time of year again, CES is just around the corner and the leaks are starting to flow

Vincent has managed to dig up some juicy info in the below vid. Some highlights include:

* The C4 and G4 will support 144hz refresh rate, up from 120hz.

* C4 will not have the G3 and G4's MLA panel

* G4 come with the new Alpha 10 SoC, an upgrade from the Alpha 9 SoC used by the C and G series since 2018. We don't know any further details about the Alpha 10 but it appears it will only be inside the G/Z series models

Soldato
OP
There is some additional rumours floating around online but unlike Vincent, who backs up his claims with evidence, these rumours have no given evidence. But I'll list them anyway as food for thought

In addition to the above confirmed by Vincent, the rumour mill says:

* The G4 will have a new pixel layout of RWGB, from WRGB. Is this to improve text clarity? Who knows..

* The G4 uses a 2nd gen MLA panel and peak theoretical brightness could reach 3000 nits in 1 to 3% window sizes.

* G4 has 4GB onboard RAM, up from 3GB on G3.

* The A10 processor in the G4 has a new NPU engine and the primary feature of the A10 over the A9 is going to be AI enhancements such image upscaling, noise reduction etc and also audio with the G4 supposedly having an upgraded audio output with additional Atmos channels.

Last edited:
Associate
Will they finally upgrade the bloody ethernet port to allow up to 1Gbps speeds? Most of (if not all) LG TVs have an ethernet port capped at 100mbps so people are using those USB3>1gbps ethernet adapters!

I know they have upgraded the Wifi to Wifi 6 or 6E so that's good at least

Just doesn't make sense for them to skimp out when you consider the prices of these TVs

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I hope they do. But as a side note, do you need more than 100? Streaming 4K video doesnt use more than 30. Even 8k YouTube videos dont use much, so how do you saturate a 100?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
LG have just released a bunch of details ahead of CES:

* There will be 97 inch panels and the 83 inch G4 now has MLA, no MLA for 97 inch

* No MLA for C4 or B4

* No increase in overall brightness for G4 or C4 this year, but LG says the 3% window size will be brighter on the G4 than the G3

* The new Alpha 11 processor is exclusive to the G4 and M4

* The Alpha 11 in the G4 allows for AI upscale in Netflix and Disney Plus, unlike all prior models can't do it, due to some encryption these services use but the Alpha 11 supports it

* The Alpha 11 has a new Dynamic Tone Mapper Pro, this allows for a much greater adjustment to the HDR picture brightness range on the panel.

* Alpha 11 has an object 3D depth depth enhancer feature - when enabled it gives video a mild 3D or depth effect

* Alpha 11 supports greater color range in filmmaker pro mode

* Alpha 11 has a new voice enhancer to make dialogue sound clearer in loud action movies

* The G4 will continue to have a 5 year panel and burn in warranty

* The C4, G4 and M4 can play games at 144hz, no other models supported

* B4, C4, G4 and M4 will receive software updates from version LG WebOS 24 to version 28. So when you buy one of these new TVs, you will get 4 years of guaranteed software updates.

* B4 uses new Alpha 8 processor, supports full bandwidth HDMI2.1 so can now do 4k 120hz gaming

Due to the above, it's expected that the difference between the G and C series will be the widest this year that it's ever been, some of this is down to the G4 being brighter to the MLA panel but most of the difference will be due to the processor as the Alpha 11 is more capable than the Alpha 9

Associate
Hopefully the 97 is more reasonable than the 8k £25k model. Been on an 83 inch for a couple of years now but come down from a projector missing the size, but would never go non-OLED now.

Soldato
Looks like older TV’s will get WebOS upgrades too.

Assuming the 2023 OLEDs will be included at some point.

With the webOS Re:New program,3 LG is offering the latest webOS upgrade to existing LG Smart TV owners to give them an up-to-date TV experience for the next five years. This upgrade applies to the company’s 2022 OLED TV models and 2022 QNED Mini LED 8K models, and in the future, will be extended to more LG TV products worldwide as well

Soldato
OP
Nice I wish my C9 was included, it's on an old version of WebOS. It should be capable of running WebOS24 since it has the Alpha 9 processor

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice I wish my C9 was included, it's on an old version of WebOS. It should be capable of running WebOS24 since it has the Alpha 9 processor
I have the C9 and I'm glad iys the old version. Still runs great and doesn't fill up the screen with ads and trash when pulling up the apps. Just a nice strip popping up at the bottom of the screen.

CX app menu is a mess in comparison. Not seen the newer stuff.

Even now I'm still impressed with the C9. I'm 4 years in and I'd usually be itching to get a new TV by now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Vincent got hands on with the LG G4 and it has a peak brightness of 3000 nits

However due to energy efficiency rules in the EU, the G4 in Europe will be software limited to 2200nits. We will have to wait and see if the limit can be removed by user later on but the TV will be limited to 2200nits out of the box in Europe

Soldato
That's what I thought! Until I started having issues when trying to play 4k Remux movies through plex. Have a read of this:

PSA: 100 Mbps is not enough to direct play 4K content (see test results inside)
People might poo-poo my suggestion here, but imo the WiFi would be faster than the 300Mps. I assume it's due to people using a full fat bluray on a NAS.
While it's only going to be a small amount of people that suffer, the coat of LG upgrading it must be pennies.
Edit:(Should mention I read the link after I posted).

Last edited:
Associate
Had the 55" LG CX that I've primarily used for console gaming (PS5 & Series X) since 2020 and I've never even debated replacing it, but may took a look at the G3/G4 upon release, I'll wait for some real world reviews and weigh it up.

Back
Top Bottom