LincStation N1: World's First 6-bay all SSD Unraid NAS

Soldato
Currently leaving Indiegogo and shipping to backers on now. An all SSD NAS with Unraid basic licence for £240. Backer campaign ends in two days, it should be available at retail first half of next year.

Thoughts? Ordered one myself for the living room as a media server.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Populating wasn't cheap lol. I already had two 4tb Crucial MXs, + ordered 4x 4tb Lexar NM790's to go along with it for £720. They are gen 4 with 7400MBs potentially. Obviously in this rig they will be running gen 3x1. Honestly it wasn't much more than a "cheap" gen 3 drive and gives me more flexibility in the future if other manufactuers release faster SSD NAS's and I wish to upgrade, I can just move them along and benefit from the speed increase.

Permabanned
Populating wasn't cheap lol. I already had two 4tb Crucial MXs, + ordered 4x 4tb Lexar NM790's to go along with it for £720. They are gen 4 with 7400MBs potentially. Obviously in this rig they will be running gen 3x1. Honestly it wasn't much more than a "cheap" gen 3 drive and gives me more flexibility in the future if other manufactuers release faster SSD NAS's and I wish to upgrade, I can just move them along and benefit from the speed increase.

So you don’t get the SSD drives with it? OOF that’s an expensive NAS.

Soldato
OP
So you don’t get the SSD drives with it? OOF that’s an expensive NAS.

I mean for the price of the unit itself its actually one of the cheapest ones lol. Synology/Qnap ones that come fully populated with the space I have with "just" traditional hard drives come in at around £1000-£1250. I'm lucky I already had the two 4tb ones lol. The is another Flash NAS that comes in at £415 for the 6 drive and £750 for a 12 drive, but it looks more like a PS2 than something for an adult.

So if I take out the 4tb Parity drive, that should leave 20tb free. That will be enough space to last me forever... or at least a very long time! lol.

Last edited:
Associate

Where did you get them for that price? I can only see them for 200 each today.

Soldato
OP
Teh
It’s nice, but really needed a 40 gigabit+ nic to make sense.
But then wouldn't you be hampered by the PCIE lanes and then by the CPU. At that point it would be a totally different product, wattage and price point. That being said leaves a lot of room for other products in the range, to prioritise different things.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently in the market for a new DIY NAS, this looks interesting...but from what I can see, connectivity seems to be a bit of a dissappointment. 2.5GbE for an all SSD NAS seems a bit silly, it will be extremely bottlenecked. Also the CPU seems a bit lean for VMs/Containers.

Permabanned
Currently in the market for a new DIY NAS, this looks interesting...but from what I can see, connectivity seems to be a bit of a dissappointment. 2.5GbE for an all SSD NAS seems a bit silly, it will be extremely bottlenecked. Also the CPU seems a bit lean for VMs/Containers.

Should have been a 10Gbps port (2 at least) but I don’t know the cost of adding two of these would be.

Maybe they might release a pro model or something later down the line.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
750MBs would be the max speed for 1 Lane gen 3 wouldn't it? And 2.5gbe would give max speed of 312MBs. Still faster than traditional hard drives but definitely performance left on the table.

That said if you take out the Unraid licence this costs £200. £250 cheaper than the nearest competitor. So it comes down to if the value overrides the concessions. I think this is primarily a media server, rather than something you'd be reading and writing to daily.

Last edited:
Associate
Personally, I'd be happy with just a single 10GbE port. Having (up to) 6 SSDs fighting for (realistically) ~280MB/s of bandwidth seems like a missed opportunity. Apart from access times, it isn't much different from a traditional NAS seeing as recent HDDs peak at ~270MB/s

Hoping storaxa can sort out their issues, also, this Aoostar looks pretty interesting: https://aoostar.com/blogs/news/aoos...orts-led-screen-and-a-ryzen-7-5800u-processor

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Personally, I'd be happy with just a single 10GbE port. Having (up to) 6 SSDs fighting for (realistically) ~280MB/s of bandwidth seems like a missed opportunity. Apart from access times, it isn't much different from a traditional NAS seeing as recent HDDs peak at ~270MB/s

Hoping storaxa can sort out their issues, also, this Aoostar looks pretty interesting: https://aoostar.com/blogs/news/aoos...orts-led-screen-and-a-ryzen-7-5800u-processor

That looks good also. The concessions there are an AMD CPU (Intel is much better for transcoding) and will be a higher running cost. Still it packs a lot of features, all depends on the price as well, ultimately.

Soldato
OP
For people who are transferring large files between systems. It’s only a small percentage but it’s needed.

But if its only a small percentage, would it not be better to keep costs down for the majority? With it being SSD as well I'm not sure how many would be storing many of their full 4k disc remuxs.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather have it than not, but I don't think its a deal breaker given the price point. I don't think they are making much margin on these units.

Last edited:
Permabanned
But if its only a small percentage, would it not be better to keep costs down for the majority? With it being SSD as well I'm not sure how many would be storing many of their full 4k disc remuxs.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather have it than not, but I don't think its a deal breaker given the price point. I don't think they are making much margin on these units.

No not at all not if they fetch two models out. Maybe real world scenarios they may have decided it’s not a real issue yet so just left the 10G off for now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom