Lyca mobile, no data whilst calling.

Associate
Hi, just swapped from smarty to lyca in the 200gb £10 black Friday offer.
Happy with the 5g speeds but have noticed data cuts out during calls seems odd support says its normal?... So no satnav live updates whilst driving taking hands free calls ect?
It ee network, so do any ee users have the same issue?

Soldato
Happy with the 5g speeds but have noticed data cuts out during calls seems odd support says its normal?... So no satnav live updates whilst driving taking hands free calls ect?
Doesn't sound right, wife is on EE and I'd know if that was happening, I usually get it in the neck for tech stuff!

What handset is this in, out of interest, have you done the normal restart, airport mode on/off, re-seated the sim card?

Associate
Hi,

I'd be curious to know if you're using a Pixel device? Lyca CS said that they don't support Google Pixel phones and are blaming Google. I have a Pixel 4a 5G with exactly the same issue. Yes, Lyca are now using the EE network but they have different APN settings. I think the reason you're not seeing data on a call now is because EE have probably switched off 3G in your area (previously 5G dropped to 3G when making a call, but calls are now being routed via 2G/GSM.) Hope this helps. Oh, and I wouldn't expect a fix from Lyca Mobile any time soon

Associate
I'm thinking of switching to Spusu. At least that way I get WiFi calling back and if there's any problems, I can fall back on that.

Associate
After switching from Gifgaff to Lyca I started having the same issue both on HTC and Pixel 8 devices.
With Gifgaff never had an issue. It's weird though.
Has anyone figured out a solution to this?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
After switching from Gifgaff to Lyca I started having the same issue both on HTC and Pixel 8 devices.
With Gifgaff never had an issue. It's weird though.
Has anyone figured out a solution to this?
Thanks.

Welcome to the Forums :)

I haven't found a solution. I emailed customer services, replied with the information they asked me for and twice they've replied, still asking me for the information. Twice I've replied saying "look below at the emails, I've already answered your questions".

I'm going back to EE directly. It's costing more but the saving just isn't worth it.

Associate
Welcome to the Forums :)

I haven't found a solution. I emailed customer services, replied with the information they asked me for and twice they've replied, still asking me for the information. Twice I've replied saying "look below at the emails, I've already answered your questions".

I'm going back to EE directly. It's costing more but the saving just isn't worth it.
Thanks a lot.
I may be going back to gifgaff despite lower internet speed.

Last edited:
Associate
I haven't either. It's been terrible. I've switched my son over to Spusu because he was on ID and never had a signal. Spusu is a lot better than Lyca and seems to work well but after the issues with Lyca, I'm playing it safe :)

Soldato
Lyca don’t support 3G/4G/5G calling or WiFi calling which means phone calls drop back to 2G which is why you don’t get any data during phone calls and they also take ages to connect.

The phone is literally disconnecting from 3G/4G/5G when you make or receive a call and picking up 2G to connect it.

People must have forgotten what it was like back in the day before 3G/4G/5G calling was a thing. Losing data while on a phone call used to be normal.

I have the same issues with missed calls which is due to the 2G calling so I’ll be moving off them when I get round to it.

Last edited:
Associate
What network Spusu use?
They use EE as well.
Lyca don’t support 3G/4G/5G calling or WiFi calling which means phone calls drop back to 2G which is why you don’t get any data during phone calls and they also take ages to connect.

The phone is literally disconnecting from 3G/4G/5G when you make or receive a call and picking up 2G to connect it.

People must have forgotten what it was like back in the day before 3G/4G/5G calling was a thing. Losing data while on a phone call used to be normal.

I have the same issues with missed calls which is due to the 2G calling so I’ll be moving off them when I get round to it.
I appreciate all of that but in 2024 it's just a bad service. It reminds me of when I used to be with Three when they first started up :D

Soldato
They use EE as well.

I appreciate all of that but in 2024 it's just a bad service. It reminds me of when I used to be with Three when they first started up :D
It’s cheap and includes roaming which is why I put up with it.

You’ll pay twice as much on EE for less data and no roaming.

The challenge is finding a value provider on a good network which also includes roaming.

Soldato
CSFB to 2G in 2024? That’s worse than Three U.K. launch in 2003 (****… is that really 21 years ago?) where half the country paid for Three’s 3G service, but got O2 GSM instead. At least O2 offered EDGE to Three’s roamers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom