Mac Pro 2013 & TB2 / DisplayPort 4k woes

Soldato
Hi all,

I’ve managed to get hold of a Mac Pro 2013 (the trashcan) to have a play around with however I’m having a nightmare with getting it running at 4k 60Hz on my BenQ PD2705U…

I’ve got a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable that supports 4k but it only seems to work very intermittently, randomly but consistently in some scenarios…

For example; if I boot up the Mac with the DisplayPort cable in then I only get a display if it boots into recovery or reset mode.

If I boot up using HDMI and then ‘switch’ to DP, turning the monitor off and on again, it works fine for that entire session (including loving the screen, going away and then coming back later) then on a reboot or power cycle it just stops working again…

Now I don’t know whether it’s my understanding of the cable, the TB2 on the Mac Pro, the monitor…it’s just bizarre to me but I’m hoping I’m missing something really stupid here!

Can anyone shed any light on this please? :)

Soldato
OP
It’s some kind of TB2 -> DisplayPort & FileVault issue as the prompt is there, I just can’t see it!

So just typing my password in logs me in…a bit annoying but it’s fine :)

Soldato
OP
Try another cable or ditch it for a Mac Mini M1.... I went from a Trashcan D700 to a Mac Mini M1, barely noticed any difference!

I've only ever tried the one cable so it probably is worth trying another one :)

And yeah...I know that would make a lot of sense but unlike @Zeebedy I'm still firmly entrenched in my denial at the moment :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom