Manor Lords

Man of Honour
For all you village builders and fans of Foundation/Farthest Frontier etc, the Manor Lords demo becomes available tonight, featuring character made roads (a la Foundation) and a quite unique building plot system

Soldato
Reminds me a lot of Banished.

Only just onto my 2nd year. A lot of my villagers just stands around doing nothing.
Work areas are set, they are allocated to different tasks and there is work to be done.

I had 2 houses being built, after the first one, they gave up and stopped building. Had to demolish the 2nd building in order to get them to start building again.

Man of Honour
OP
Excellent title music. Considering the game is the product of just 1 person, its damned good. Seeing a lot of really good games lately that are made by just 1 or 2 people

Soldato
What a fantastic game this is going to be. Had a bit of time on it tonight, also watched a few streaming it, how one person has made this is beyond me. It looks stunning, the music is different gravy, it plays fantastically, basically overall it's just miles and miles better than what gets churned up by the big studios these days. You can see this has been a real love affair for the one guy making it.

Associate
I'm enjoying it so far. My first go I messed up farming completely and lots of people starved to death.

Bit more joy on my second go once I got the hang of the food mechanic.

Shame you can't save though!

Man of Honour
OP
What a fantastic game this is going to be. Had a bit of time on it tonight, also watched a few streaming it, how one person has made this is beyond me. It looks stunning, the music is different gravy, it plays fantastically, basically overall it's just miles and miles better than what gets churned up by the big studios these days. You can see this has been a real love affair for the one guy making it.
I agree with this, the demo is very limited of course, really only seeing a small amount of the games mechanics and features but this title is shaping up to be something pretty special in the genre.

Soldato
I would say they have a lot to iron out before a full release.
My population of 13 workers died out as they didn't collect food or firewood even though it was there. My market stalls were manned so no idea what was missing.
My oxen just moved timber from one lumber camp to another unless it was needed for building.

Hopefully they can sort out the issues as it has a lot of potential.

Man of Honour
OP
Hopefully going to be able to jump on this evening!

As @Bickaxe said, my first impression from reading the store page was a Banished but with more organic building and more to do!

Is the demo only playable till the 10th? Any rumours of a release date yet?
Yeah demo is only playable until the 10th, there is a lot not included in the demo though, the entire combat and armies system, the conquering/acquiring other territories, "enemy" kingdoms, raiding parties, bandits, diplomacy, the skill trees, various buildings etc, are all not included in the demo. On top of that this is a demo which was originally a press preview from a year ago (I saw it back then on Cohh's channel) , so theres a lot not in the demo. How much of that is already done and just not being shown in the demo, who can say, but theres no confirmed release date yet. My bet is 2023 though.

Soldato
Yeah demo is only playable until the 10th, there is a lot not included in the demo though, the entire combat and armies system, the conquering/acquiring other territories, "enemy" kingdoms, raiding parties, bandits, diplomacy, the skill trees, various buildings etc, are all not included in the demo. On top of that this is a demo which was originally a press preview from a year ago (I saw it back then on Cohh's channel) , so theres a lot not in the demo. How much of that is already done and just not being shown in the demo, who can say, but theres no confirmed release date yet. My bet is 2023 though.

Ah I see!

Will give it a play tonight and see how I go.

I kind of hope this isn't too complex but it sounds like it's going down that path. One of my favourite things about Banished was just how simple it was.

Obviously the guy isn't making this game just for me, but i'd love to see a game like Banished, mixed with simple elements of Cities Skylines.

For example, you're the lord of the manor and you can designate certain new areas of your village for different uses, but the people will build houses/utilities they need with some coercion towards what you want for you village/town/city.

While i'm on my dream game (in case anyone is reading this :p ) a crazy complex diplomacy/skill tree anything which makes a steep learning curve puts me off, I just don't have the time to dedicate the hours to learn games like that these days.

Hitman
Soldato
Really enjoyed the demo. Once you get your head around the micromanagement of workers properly, it's great. An instant reminder of Banished which I also loved (and may pick up again whilst we wait for the full release). The visuals and sound are great.

A few bugs here and there, and it wouldn't have taken much to make the demo itself feel a little more polished (some placeholder icons and descriptions/names), but have little critique otherwise for an early access demo. I did apply to be an alpha tester some weeks ago so hopefully I'll get my hands on it again in the not too distant future.

Soldato
I just discovered this game yesterday. I've recently built a new PC and was thinking to myself I'd like a new strategy game to play, something medieval, where you get to build armies and fight, as well as build a town/city. Turns out Manor Lords is exactly what I was looking for.

Excited to see it releases on 26th April, and I think it's coming to Game Pass so I won't even need to pay for it as I have a subcription.

Anyone else excited for it?

Associate
It is on gamepass which is good. There's so many of these games lately it can be difficult to find a good one but this does look worth a try

Back
Top Bottom