Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
Wanted to provide some feedback on JohnRyan. Used this thread as big recommendation and splashed out the cash to replace our Simba Hybrid with it's dips. Placed an order last month and was contacted by the delivery company with a timescale of 2 days which we happened to be away the whole month. They said they wouldn't be down our area for another month on which we are away for one of the weeks. That's a 2 month wait on a matress. Spoke to JohnRyan and they didn't see to care, order cancelled. Not spending £1k and having to expect that I should be lucky they attempt to deliver to Devon once a month. Just like mattyfex says, it's a nightmare trying to find a matress. Will probably just go with whatever Which? suggest now.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't really understand the love in with John Ryan. We are on our second mattress from them, the first developed faults which they grudgingly admitted and then gave us some money off the next mattress. We splashed out and bought the artisan naturals which was over 1k but we were looking at the long term. We've had problems with sagging on this mattress but they are not bothered and said it all looks normal settlement in the pics I sent (only had it 4 years). Both of us have had nothing but aches and pains with this mattress too so we are looking for something else but won't be going back to JR.

As has already been mentioned, it's a nightmare trying to find something that's right for you.

Soldato
We are going to try a topper now, see if that helps.
Gone for wool, if that's no good, I guess try foam lol.

If none of that works, I'm going to space!

Soldato
We've been sleeping on a silent night cheap and cheerful 'Essentials' pocketed spring mattress for 7 years and though it still feels fine to me, the springs now make the odd noise and the Mrs says it has a "groove" on my side. I'm a side sleeper. Seeing as it only had a 3 year guarantee, it's done well.

We'll probably change it to the next one up which has more springs and a 5 year guarantee.

Soldato
Well the woolroom topper has arrived, doesn't seem as thick as I thought it would be.
Oh well, see how it goes!
Got mine this afternoon, fitted ready for testing out tonight.

Me and the Mrs listened to the podcast posted a couple of replies back last night. As a side sleeper I was surprised to hear that a foam mattress would most likely be better. Hopefully this topper will negate having to splash out for a new mattress.

Soldato
I've been using a Nectar Essential Hybrid Double for a couple of months and love it. Worth every penny.

Thing weighed a ton but is thick and feels robust/quality.

Yes is great for supporting your body but the real difference I found was lower wakefulness. I suppose what I mean from that is I hardly ever move during the night. I go to bed on my back and the thing is so damn comfortable I wake up in basically the same position. So 7 hours sleep on the Nectar mattress feels so much better than 7 hours on my previous mattress, as my sleep would be interrupted by me tossing my body into a different position.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got mine this afternoon, fitted ready for testing out tonight.

Me and the Mrs listened to the podcast posted a couple of replies back last night. As a side sleeper I was surprised to hear that a foam mattress would most likely be better. Hopefully this topper will negate having to splash out for a new mattress.
I'd agree about foam, our Simba was amazing for a few months and our firm sprung mattress didn't have the same affect.
But foam just doesn't last and the pain was ridiculous.
I'm hoping a new topper every few years or so, on this firm mattress should do!

Soldato
I'd agree about foam, our Simba was amazing for a few months and our firm sprung mattress didn't have the same affect.
But foam just doesn't last and the pain was ridiculous.
I'm hoping a new topper every few years or so, on this firm mattress should do!
Same thinking as you with regards to the topper. Our current mattress is a JR artisans natural which cost over 1k and it's just 4 years old now so I'd rather not have to splash out such a large amount so soon on another mattress

Associate
For those with deep mattresses, John Ryan for example, and using a topper, how are you using a cover/sheet?

I'm not sure if i'll be able to get the current deep fitting sheet over both.

Soldato
I'm getting annoyed with my 2yo slilent night matress...I'm starting to be able to feel the springs getting lumpy.

I swear they design matreeses for one 40kg dwarf, not two 90kg normal people.

Its this one.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00W4RQMTA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Ok it was 'only' £400..but I'm already thinkig of replacing it. I have a really thick (7cm) memory foam topper for winter, but its too hot for summer and I hate how much I sink into it... https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1156362?clickSR=slp:term:memory foam topper:3:66:1

...So I might buy a thinner memory foam topper for summer... or possibly a feather/down topper. so that'll be another hundred quid or something.

It really annoys me that I can't just by a matress that just works without pratting about with BS.

Back
Top Bottom