*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
I didn't read the article but I'd imagine there could be legal ramifications if they did enable it by default, whether you can disable it or not. Just making an assumption here though with nothing to back it up. :)
Unlikely, AI will be given exemptions by the vast majority of countries for any pertinent issues like privacy and copyright.

Soldato
Looks as though the UK data watchdog and ICO are now looking into Recall.

The UK data watchdog says it is "making enquiries with Microsoft" over a new feature that can take screenshots of your laptop every few seconds.

Microsoft says Recall, which will store encrypted snapshots locally on your computer, is exclusive to its forthcoming Copilot+ PCs.

But the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) says it is contacting Microsoft for more information on the safety of the product, which privacy campaigners have called a potential "privacy nightmare".
UK watchdog looking into Microsoft AI taking screenshots - BBC News

Soldato
This is a hit to privacy. Having Windows 11 recording everything we do!?

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I think they're testing what they can get away with bit by bit and so far they've gotten far in terms of how much spying they're doing on us.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was rolled down to Windows 10 also as they probably hate the low adoption rate of 11 :D

I just REALLY wish Linux would work with ALL games especially those that require an anticheat running, Id have left Windows years ago!

Soldato
There is absolutely nothing AI and a “targeted” experience does to improve my PC use or workload. On the contrary most people I know hate the fact their PC or browser is pushing ads for stuff just because you did a search for something once.

They find it an invasion of privacy and sometimes outright sinister, rather than smart or useful.

The only people or entity it benefits are the corporations convinced you need this crap and the potentially nefarious Governments who are “protecting” their interests from subversive and whatever they deem “woke” this week.

I mean who the **** dreamt up the ideas of taking screenshots and or videos of your entire work/play/browsing session? In my 30+ years of working in IT I have never once had anyone even remotely think such a constantly running feature was a solution to any problem. I might enable a recording sessions for meeting or triaging purposes to catch an obscure issue (it’s always PEBKAC).

Oh don’t worry we don’t take screenshots of your browser or emails or other personal stuff. We promise. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess the saving grace is that you need an 'NPU' for it to work so at least you can avoid it by not buying hardware with that sort of chip in it.

Soldato
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I think they're testing what they can get away with bit by bit and so far they've gotten far in terms of how much spying they're doing on us.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was rolled down to Windows 10 also as they probably hate the low adoption rate of 11 :D

I just REALLY wish Linux would work with ALL games especially those that require an anticheat running, Id have left Windows years ago!
It's getting there, and almost all the games I've tried do work. I don't have many with anti-cheat though.

G J

G J

Associate
Goverment's/ regulators aren't going to much if anything as it's way too late to push back on this now as I've seen on reddit some Windows 11 users in from the US getting ads on the start menu and any outrage over it gets met with oh well you can just turn it off... yeah thats fine until the point comes when you can't and having the option is the first step.

It's the same with the AI screenshot thing and yes it may be disabled by default.. again until it isn't and all it takes is one Windows update where it "accidently" or gets enabled by default and recall scrapes all the data it needs.

How times change when Microsoft into hot water over Mediaplayer I think it was.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, its probably not how CPU's or GPU's are meant to work either but there's a list of flaws and bug, errat, issues, whatever that can do things that they're not meant to, why would NPU's be any different, especially when the OS it taking screen shots of things..
The more parts inside a machine, the more possible entry points...

No?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Anything is always possible at some point, but that doesn't mean everyone should be walking around with a sceptical hat on at everything, otherwise nobody would live a fairly productive life because there would be constant fear of something going wrong.

Every piece of tech these days has some form of AI implementation now, whether local on-device or talking to the cloud. The only time you hear about any breaches in this area are when teams of hackers find exploits or reverse engineer something. the only recent one being Samsung's AI chip being reverse engineered before the issue was plugged.

Bottom line is you cannot avoid /not/ having something with AI built in now, unless you choose to not use modern HW/SW at all.

Man of Honour
Is it worth upgrading from windows 10 to 11, if mostly you do gaming.

The changes from 10, most of which can be reverted/tweaked without 3rd party software except the woeful start menu, are horrendous but it seems a bit less disruptive than 10 and handles CPUs with mixed CCD or e-cores better in my experience despite some of those fixes being released to 10 as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it worth upgrading from windows 10 to 11, if mostly you do gaming.

I only game on my PC and decided to benchmark some of the games I play around a month ago from both a fresh 10 install and a fresh 11 install. Win 11 won by a few FPS, so basically the same on my system, nothing to shout about.

Back
Top Bottom