Mortgage Rate Rises

Caporegime
Yes I went through the 80's and 90's so know about it but thankfully didn't happen to us.

When we was looking in 2010 lots of repo's going for mental prices.

Detached 4 bedroom houses going for 120k at auction although garden was a little small for us and on a newish build estate so tiny roads and too close together. That house today is easily worth 300-350k though.

Associate
When we was looking in 2010 lots of repo's going for mental prices.

Detached 4 bedroom houses going for 120k at auction although garden was a little small for us and on a newish build estate so tiny roads and too close together. That house today is easily worth 300-350k though.
Yes, repossessed properties going for peanuts which left the evicted still in debt. We didn't have the help that is in place now, it was pay up or you're out virtually. After that the government at the time told the mortgage lenders to put more help in place and only use repossession as a last resort not the first.

Soldato
Yes, repossessed properties going for peanuts which left the evicted still in debt. We didn't have the help that is in place now, it was pay up or you're out virtually. After that the government at the time told the mortgage lenders to put more help in place and only use repossession as a last resort not the first.

You’re right on some levels I think, but without that “help”, things would be absolutely catastrophic today given how many more multiples of the average salary house prices are today compared to back then.

Personally I would prefer a more natural and better functioning market. One without much in the way of intervention. Things need to be allowed to correct in line with affordability.

Last edited:
Associate
You’re right on some levels I think, but without that “help”, things would be absolutely catastrophic today given how many more multiples of the average salary house prices are today compared to back then.

Personally I would prefer a more natural and better functioning market. One without much in the way of intervention. Things need to be allowed to correct in line with affordability.
Just be thankful you do have the help, it wasn't very pleasant for millions? at the time

Last edited:
Soldato
Just be thankful you do have the help, it wasn't very pleasant for millions? at the time

I’m lucky enough not to need it; but I suspect it’s going to be just as bad for millions more over the next 12 months or so. Even with the “help”.

I suppose there’s one difference this time, in that those at the bottom end of the market have been so priced out that they probably don’t have houses to lose in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depending on how it's handled the could just be the start of a cascade.

Indeed. Given the lag in how these things have tended to effect economies historically, it’s only around now that I would have expected repos to start ramping up anyway.

I’m not too hopeful of the kind of soft landing in real terms that some people are.

Soldato
time to save save save to buy another property when the inevitable house price depression hits rock bottom

It’s exactly what I’m doing, and who can blame anyone able to for doing so? But it definitely leaves a sour taste in your mouth knowing that you’re likely going to end up profiting while families out there will be suffering.

Man of Honour
It’s exactly what I’m doing, and who can blame anyone able to for doing so? But it definitely leaves a sour taste in your mouth knowing that you’re likely going to end up profiting while families out there will be suffering.
yeah, as always, the cash buyer will always win, no need to contend with cray cray % mortgage rates, and with rental prices increasing as well...

Soldato
We've been putting our rates up for the last few weeks, so not sure what that report is in about.

The headline rate isn't always the complete picture either, for example, one of the mortgage offers I looked at the other day, was a loan I want to say about 600k, but the product fee on the offer was £65k.

I can't remember if it was a 2 or 5 years rate, but in either case, the cost of that mortgage was £65k PLUS whatever interest was charged on top, crazy.

Edit: don't forget, that's exclusive of the application fee, valuation fee, solicitors fee, broker fee, so add on all those lol.

Redemption fee, and the cheeky £35 TT fee.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom