Most reliable SDCARD ?

Soldato
Making this as simple as I can.

Q. What is the most reliable SD Card that I can buy?

Longer pap that you dont need to know.

I am now using an SDCARD to SCSI adapter on my old Atari TT and while backing up is ridiculously quick and easy, I am still fairly paranoid at teh reliability of SDCARDS.

So, I want to have the best and most trustworthy SD Card in it.

What make / model do you suggest?

Thanks guys.

Soldato
Big fan of SanDisk personally. Kingston are also very good.

Just make sure you get the genuine article whatever you go for as there is loads of fake stuff knocking about.

Soldato
I never had one fail and i have about 10 of them

They are mostly high speed Sandisk with names like extreme and that sort of thing

I ended up with so many due to changing speed standards and capacity needed

Soldato
OP
Yes, Seems to be the case that SanDisk are most likely to be the better ones.
I have Samsung EVO in my Mobile and its been there for a few years and has music, movies and photos saved and deleted almost daily.
Sandisk Extreme is the one I went for when I went Compact Flash in my old Atari Falcon
Kingston? I have a couple of Kingston USB Drives, they are still ok. I will be honest however, but an early SSD I bought was a Kingston and I have NOT had any issues with that, and IIRC its now in one of the Laptops still doing fine, but recently I bought a few of them, and they were clearly made with less quality than the original one... They look the same, but the plastic case is obviously thinner and flimsier... Im not that happy with that. The Electronics might be the same, but going by the feel, its gone way downhill for me. Sure, thats only low end SSDs but still...

Ok, Samsung and SanDisk it is then! - Cheers guys.

Soldato
I've used Sandisk Extreme Pro for as long as I've used digital cameras and not had a failure. However, I wasn't prepared to pay their prices for USB II cards and have moved to Sony M series which seem to be a decent alternative.

Soldato
OP
Just to let you know...

Got a SanDisk Extreme Pro card for the TT. A while back I bought the Compact Flash SandDisk Extreme for the Falcon but I had issues. Since then, the issues I found out were from the copy of HDriver I was using and since then, thats sorted, and so along with doing a full re-sort of the TT with the SDCARD, I have done the same with the Falcon on the Compact Flash.

Both Ataris are now SanDisk Extreme.

Thanks guys.

Soldato
OP
from the sounds of it high endurance cards should be more reliable
Possibly.
For my needs, I have cone a lot of copyinmg etc using the Emulator on the PC and then, I can simply copy the Disk Image to the SD CARD afterwards.
This then saves a great deal of copying on the SD CARD Itself.
I have setup a PC purely for the Atari and backing up the files etc, as well as having a copy of everythign on my server too, and so I dont care if the Atari PC gets wrecked or the HD dies as thats just an SSD.
But yeah, there is about 123 thousand files that are on the Ataris and that a lot of work on a poor SD CARD ( Or Compact Flash on the Falcon )

Oh and use this tool for formatting your cards also if you need to do that rather than the OS.

always nice to have the proper tools, so thanks.

Man of Honour
Kingston so far haven't let me down and their older ones actually have higher or the same endurance as newer "high" endurance cards :( (related to the NAND differences but still).

But also a kind of silly reason but I was just trying to recover data off an old 2.5" SSD and trying all kinds of SATA devices from high end interfaces through to cheapy USB and all of them were giving up after a couple of minutes and then funky things happening with the drive disappearing, etc. tried it on the USB enclosure I got as part of the upgrade kit with an older Kingston SSD and it just was like "no problem" and read everything off fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom