Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Newey has confirmed to multiple reputable sources that Horner's Horny Happenings have had an important influence on his exit. It's not being made up.
I actually wasn't referring to that part of the post but the speculation that somehow Lewis 'knew' something..
However most of the media I've read states ""senior figures close to Newey have been telling me. He has communicated informally with some senior Red Bull figures that he would like to leave the team.".

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not in the slightest bit surprised by this news. Its been on the cards for a while now. You know what they say "no smoke without fire" and there have been far far too many reports of disharmony in the RBR camp for too long now.
I cant see this having a huge impact on RBR car in the short/medium term, I dont even see there being much chance of a team picking him up and magically creating a revolutionary car for the 26 regs. He's going to be forced into what I would expect will be a significant period of gardening leave which will likely amount to early/mid season 25. All cars teams will be pretty deep into development of the 26 cars by that point.
If he does decide on moving to a rival over simply moving away from F1 I wouldnt expect to see his influence take full effect for a couple of seasons 27-28 at the earliest. He is a visionary when it comes to car design philosophy but he's not a miracle worker.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if he just decided to call it quits altogether or move into more of a consultancy role rather the head up a technical/aerodynamicist team again. The drama and stress of the F1 circus must surely take its toll and he looks increasingly weary of it.

Man of Honour
I actually wasn't referring to that part of the post but the speculation that somehow Lewis 'knew' something..
However most of the media I've read states ""senior figures close to Newey have been telling me. He has communicated informally with some senior Red Bull figures that he would like to leave the team.".

Its funny, I'm seeing a few suggestions that maybe Alonso "know's" something and that's why he signed up to remain with AM earlier than most expected.

Soldato
Could all be a storm in a teacup to be honest. If I were a betting man (I’m not) I could see him joining AM or even Mercedes rather than Ferrari. I dunno, I don’t see the appeal of Ferrari for someone like him. Drivers, yes.

It would be mental if the whole Max to Mercedes thing has legs and it’s because Newey was going there too.

Associate
Right, this might sound like I'm an idiot (I'm sure someone will tell me) but hear me out, how much can one man change a team?

I'm not discounting the justifiably high praise from his career so far but with the money and talent that's thrown at F1 teams these days there can't be much 'aero theory' that he knows that his counterparts at other teams don't. What is different is potentially the teams appetite for risk and the belief in a new aero approach e.g. Merc trying the different philosophy but not pulling it off Vs Red Bull achieving theirs.

Say Ferrari 'got' him, then what? He's not going to come in and say have you thought about 15 new wings and a lopsided side pod configuration that'll magically knock 5 seconds off your lap time? It's more the work ethic he instills in the people around him and the boldness to make radical changes he has / is given that changes a car. Any team could do that with or without him given the right person in the roll in my mind.

Obviously far easier said than done I just don't believe that him going to any team means instant or even sort term future success.

Caporegime
Right, this might sound like I'm an idiot (I'm sure someone will tell me) but hear me out, how much can one man change a team?

I'm not discounting the justifiably high praise from his career so far but with the money and talent that's thrown at F1 teams these days there can't be much 'aero theory' that he knows that his counterparts at other teams don't. What is different is potentially the teams appetite for risk and the belief in a new aero approach e.g. Merc trying the different philosophy but not pulling it off Vs Red Bull achieving theirs.

Say Ferrari 'got' him, then what? He's not going to come in and say have you thought about 15 new wings and a lopsided side pod configuration that'll magically knock 5 seconds off your lap time? It's more the work ethic he instills in the people around him and the boldness to make radical changes he has / is given that changes a car. Any team could do that with or without him given the right person in the roll in my mind.

Obviously far easier said than done I just don't believe that him going to any team means instant or even sort term future success.

Not sure about that. Having a genius engineer that comes up with clever things other people haven't thought off is the whole point isn't it?

It isn't just about knowing "aero theory". It's innovation and applying those well known mechanics.and theories in innovative ways that increase car performance.

Back
Top Bottom