Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Or he is going to retire
Could be. The issue I'm not sure Lewis has considered about Ferrari is not just the different language (unless he already speaks good enough Italian?) but also the different culture and how Ferrari gets so much pressure from its Italian fans but also internationally in a way I don't think Mercedes have nor any other team in F1. If Newey did go to Ferrari he'd have the same issues (unless he too speaks Italian) but also it would take him time to get the design team the way he wants it and to make the Ferrari F1 car his own. This could take 3-4 years if all goes well? Considering Newey is 65 he could be 69-70 before this happens and that's if he can just resign from Red Bull and sign for someone else. I think Red Bull will find a way to get him to do some weeding and perhaps pruning for at least 12 months if not 24 which surely puts him over 70 by the time he can work his magic at Ferrari.

So initially I thought Newey was off to Mercedes/Aston Martin/Ferrari when the news broke but now I think it is more likely that he would have left Red Bull at the end of his current contract to retire and he's decided to effectively retire now and perhaps find some part time projects to while away his retirement years.

Soldato
I wonder whether RB do try and throw a block of gardening leave at him if he remains in F1. There was an initial rumour of Toyota offering him the opportunity of producing their Valkyrie and racing it in WEC. If RB do the standard F1 politics game, I wonder if he'd go for something like that.

Soldato
I wonder whether RB do try and throw a block of gardening leave at him if he remains in F1. There was an initial rumour of Toyota offering him the opportunity of producing their Valkyrie and racing it in WEC. If RB do the standard F1 politics game, I wonder if he'd go for something like that.
It is normal procedure to have this gardening leave in f1, and it is common procedure to have this written within a contract, especially so given the stature of Adrian. Thus it should be of no surprise he would have to take it if he elects to join another f1 team.
Yes RB could write it off but because of who he is I would very much doubt it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could be. The issue I'm not sure Lewis has considered about Ferrari is not just the different language (unless he already speaks good enough Italian?) but also the different culture and how Ferrari gets so much pressure from its Italian fans but also internationally in a way I don't think Mercedes have nor any other team in F1. If Newey did go to Ferrari he'd have the same issues (unless he too speaks Italian) but also it would take him time to get the design team the way he wants it and to make the Ferrari F1 car his own. This could take 3-4 years if all goes well? Considering Newey is 65 he could be 69-70 before this happens and that's if he can just resign from Red Bull and sign for someone else. I think Red Bull will find a way to get him to do some weeding and perhaps pruning for at least 12 months if not 24 which surely puts him over 70 by the time he can work his magic at Ferrari.

So initially I thought Newey was off to Mercedes/Aston Martin/Ferrari when the news broke but now I think it is more likely that he would have left Red Bull at the end of his current contract to retire and he's decided to effectively retire now and perhaps find some part time projects to while away his retirement years.
How do you say "tyres are gone" in Italian ?

Soldato
I'd like to see Newey retire. I don't really care for another team to be "Newey'd". I'd rather see a new chapter with innovation from new minds. He's had his time and influence on F1 I feel.

Man of Honour
I'd like to see Newey retire. I don't really care for another team to be "Newey'd". I'd rather see a new chapter with innovation from new minds. He's had his time and influence on F1 I feel.

I know he's clearly "got it right" this cycle and as much as I have huge respect for what Newey has done; you also need to look at the vast parts of the last 20-30 years where his cars haven't been out front so its not as if there isn't other capable designers out there; Ferrari, Mercedes and others have had fast, front running, race winning (if not championship winning) cars with zero input from Adrian Newey. In fact both Ferrari and Mercedes had periods of dominance without Newey.

Back
Top Bottom