Mountain Biking

Soldato
well if you plan to ride in the sloppy mud its the best thing and you don't see it.
as said comes on and off easy.
if you wanna go form over function on mudguards, then you would be better off sticking a spoiler on your bike and go faster stripes.

Personally I see the massive amounts of mud that stick to my tyres and get thrown off them and would rather keep it away from me and the bike
It still has to appeal to me one way or another. I’ve no interest in something that’s going to do little if anything for me just as I have no interest in bolting something quite so large to the bike.

The front mud guard has landed and has been installed, it’s a bit small and will likely not perform all too great so I’m probably going to have to get a front and rear RRP. The weekend will however reveal all.

Caporegime
It still has to appeal to me one way or another. I’ve no interest in something that’s going to do little if anything for me just as I have no interest in bolting something quite so large to the bike.

The front mud guard has landed and has been installed, it’s a bit small and will likely not perform all too great so I’m probably going to have to get a front and rear RRP. The weekend will however reveal all.
front mudguards only really protect the forks, and those tiny rear ones are meant to keep dirt away from your pivots etc but don't really work that great

I have a pretty big front mudguard and my downtube still catches all the mud

Last edited:
Soldato
front mudguards only really protect the forks, and those tiny rear ones are meant to keep dirt away from your pivots etc but don't really work that great

I have a pretty big front mudguard and my downtube still catches all the mud

Some front mudguards protect the face from anything that can get caught in the tyres tread and thrown up to head height.

Caporegime
Some front mudguards protect the face from anything that can get caught in the tyres tread and thrown up to head height.
I'd imagine all of them do that because the4y also stop the rain from your front wheel from coming towards your face.

I'm just stating mudguards won't protect the bike as much as people might think when they are the skinny tiny ones

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd imagine all of them do that because the4y also stop the rain from your front wheel from coming towards your face.

I'm just stating mudguards doesn't protect your bike as much as people might think

Totally disagree.

Small front keeps stuff out of the headset and can protect the forks bridge + a humans face.
Small rear can protect some shocks and linkages from debris and water damage + with the larger guards there is a chance that fresh dog **** will not be stuck to your back.

I wondering if these 'people' are in the minority, as I've yet to meet one or groups that claim what you did above.

Work Specialized has long front + rear guards and I know for a fact, a lot of crap is diverted away from my bike when riding in the rain.

Man of Honour
I went with https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/collections/rear-mudhugger-mountain-bike-mudguards on mine.

they make your bike look ugly though.
The size you need depends on the angle of your seat stays
if you go that route
SNIP

They come with really thick heli tape to protect the frame and velcro straps hold it, so you can take it on/off in about 20seconds
SNIP

They hold in place really well, never needed to adjust mine, I had to trim the extension bit on my bike , easy enough with kitchen scissors

Think I would rather get muddy than have that on my bike :), each to their own.

Last edited:
Soldato
So does it still not offer the correct ride height, or choice of other brands are limited.

Their Enduro bikes look tasty
No it's just got a limited post insertion so I can't slam a 200mm dropper post for instance. I'll have to have a 170 with it sticking out 30mm.

Man of Honour
Frame, almost everything will get transferred from my Nukeproof Scout.
I originally wanted a Transition Smuggler, they were out of stock so built up a NP Scout uses all the same parts.
But just can't say no to an Atherton now.

Would be interested to hear what you think about it. I did look at them for a while but they were still reasonably new at the time, and I didn't know anyone who had ridden one to get any review or recommendation from.

Soldato
Would be interested to hear what you think about it. I did look at them for a while but they were still reasonably new at the time, and I didn't know anyone who had ridden one to get any review or recommendation from.
I haven't heard anything really negative, few complaints about the weight but that's of review bikes which come with decent enduro tyres.
They can be built up lightish, I plan to run a non piggy back shock for most riding and get a coil shock for uplift days really enjoying going to Antur these days.
The little touches seem well thought out like no threaded parts on the frame all add on hardware that can be easily replaced.
Plus being able to get your perfect size is great for someone like me that's always been a medium and large. 470 tech will be perfect.

Soldato
Quite excited to have just ordered my first Mtb in over 15 years!

I've been muddling on with an old Saracen, but it was knackered and I fancied a bit more adventurous cycling this year.

Went for a Canyon Stoic 3. Had a bit of a wobble on sizing, I'm 6'1" which puts me into their large frame but not by much, and my Saracen is a bit small, really, and I like how I can throw it about a bit. Stuck with large, though.

I also ordered my son a Cube Aim Pro. He's almost as tall as me, at 6ft despite only being 14, so we can swap a bit. Until he gets too big :D

Looking forward to hitting some descents. Albeit slowly, as I'm old now :D

Soldato
Quite excited to have just ordered my first Mtb in over 15 years!

I've been muddling on with an old Saracen, but it was knackered and I fancied a bit more adventurous cycling this year.

Went for a Canyon Stoic 3. Had a bit of a wobble on sizing, I'm 6'1" which puts me into their large frame but not by much, and my Saracen is a bit small, really, and I like how I can throw it about a bit. Stuck with large, though.

I also ordered my son a Cube Aim Pro. He's almost as tall as me, at 6ft despite only being 14, so we can swap a bit. Until he gets too big :D

Looking forward to hitting some descents. Albeit slowly, as I'm old now :D
The missus is looking at the Stoic 3 as well as the Orange Clockwork 29 Comp. Her Scott Scale 50 is a bit old, geo isn’t very favourable and with the 26” wheels looks like a child’s bike now so she’s gone all funny about wanting to ride it. Plus one of the kids needs a bigger bike and hers would do nicely.

Post up when you take delivery, would be nice to hear what you think of it.

Back
Top Bottom