MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Soldato
I'd wait till reviews of the B550 are out. Might be another gem in there, unless you need the features X570 bring to the table, although again be worth waiting to see what B550 brings.

Soldato
Really no sense in overclocking Ryzen for gaming.
Outside lower core count models it would be hard to push all core clock high enough to not take hit in signle core from automatic boost clocks.

Associate
Really no sense in overclocking Ryzen for gaming.
Outside lower core count models it would be hard to push all core clock high enough to not take hit in signle core from automatic boost clocks.

What about OC'ing for single core if you mostly play just one game that doesn't make much use of multi-core, will that give any advantage over automatic boost clocks? I was thinking about getting a 3600 and overclocking rather than say just getting a 3600X and running it stock.

Soldato
I, rightly or wrongly, went with a 3600X for the slightly higher single core clock speeds without me needing to mess with overclocking. I had a voucher to use with an online shop so I used it to take up the difference between the two CPUs.

Soldato
What about OC'ing for single core if you mostly play just one game that doesn't make much use of multi-core, will that give any advantage over automatic boost clocks? I was thinking about getting a 3600 and overclocking rather than say just getting a 3600X and running it stock.
While it's possible to disable cores to get higher overclockability for enabled cores, that's tedious operation and would fast limit performance in multithreaded games.
Besides if cooler is properly sized Ryzen's automatic boosting pushes cores pretty high for silicon's capabilities.
Cheaper combination of 3600 and separate cooler likely performs better than more expensive 3600X with its chronically undersized stock cooler.
(and 3600X with separate cooler just becomes too expensive for low end less than next-gen consoles core count)

Soldato
Should I wait for X570 Tomahawk or any other suggestion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2KbpmMg44M

rma wise Aorus boards, as well as heaving 6 layer PCB on Pro + board with finned heatsink design.
If it comes in at under £250 then count shake up the market a little

B550 will be the ones flying off the shelf . looking at this, expect b550 toma to be half the VRM but would still keep high amp across the VCore .

Doublers need to be phases out though, hopefully gone with x670 as 16 PWM controllers now freely available

Associate
While it's possible to disable cores to get higher overclockability for enabled cores, that's tedious operation and would fast limit performance in multithreaded games.
Besides if cooler is properly sized Ryzen's automatic boosting pushes cores pretty high for silicon's capabilities.
Cheaper combination of 3600 and separate cooler likely performs better than more expensive 3600X with its chronically undersized stock cooler.
(and 3600X with separate cooler just becomes too expensive for low end less than next-gen consoles core count)

Interesting. In my situation I already have a decent (I think?) tower cooler, the Gammacool Deepmaxx 400, so I'm wondering whether that makes the 3600X the better buy for me, for only an extra £30. Or whether when overclocked, both will end up about the same performance so not worth the extra £30 for the X.

Soldato
Interesting. In my situation I already have a decent (I think?) tower cooler, the Gammacool Deepmaxx 400, so I'm wondering whether that makes the 3600X the better buy for me, for only an extra £30. Or whether when overclocked, both will end up about the same performance so not worth the extra £30 for the X.
That cooler definitely enough for six cores.
Reviewers actually haven't touched 3600X much, but performance has been inside percent or two of 3600 in best cases.

And for lowly six cores MSI B450 Tomahawk is well enough.

Associate
Awesome, I was
That cooler definitely enough for six cores.
Reviewers actually haven't touched 3600X much, but performance has been inside percent or two of 3600 in best cases.

And for lowly six cores MSI B450 Tomahawk is well enough.

Awesome. As far as RAM are there any special considerations relating to B450 Tomahawk and 3600, or will just any 2 sticks of whatever the best set of DDR4 in terms of price/spec be fine?

Last edited:
Associate
just watched this, and there's no where that has them, no where seems to even show them on their websites for pre-order or just info.

Soldato
just watched this, and there's no where that has them, no where seems to even show them on their websites for pre-order or just info.

Thats perfectly normal, if its still under NDA, site like overclockers will have it ready to go on there website, its just not published yet, and may even have the boards hiding out the back, until MSI gives the OK, they wont appear, same thing happens with everything.

Associate
I fear that this board is not coming to the UK soon since it's not even listed on the UK version of MSI's site :(

FWIR and heard, it's not out until early May, are you waiting? I really want it for my full system build but that means waiting for a few weeks and i'm going stir crazy indoors.

Soldato
FWIR and heard, it's not out until early May, are you waiting? I really want it for my full system build but that means waiting for a few weeks and i'm going stir crazy indoors.

I am now. I had ordered an Aorus Elite X570 but I really want USB-C ports on the rear panel and Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0 onboard. The Tomahawk has both of these features so it makes sense to get it instead. I can continue using my 4770K but when you have the rest of your new shiny components sitting on the desk looking at you, it's not easy :)

Back
Top Bottom