My journey out of obesity

Man of Honour
OP
I think there was only one exercise I didn't raise the weight today after my week so that made me happy, then I finished off with a nice 10mins high intensity on the bike.
Only problem is apparently my 2yr membership contract ran out last week, I was hoping it would switch to a rolling one but the only option to get the price down to nearly what I'm paying now is take out another 2yr contract and even then the price has risen by £2 a month.
Looks like I'll be off to try another gym in town tomorrow that gives me a £20 a month rolling contract and looks even better equipped than my old one, still I'd rather stay where I am just because I like the place.

Associate
Thought I would post a cheeky journal style thread, at the moment I'm hovering around 95kg which is dam depressing after totally coming off the rails and not visiting the gym in almost a month along with a seriously bad diet.
But I'm getting back into it I've just recived a personalised 7 day diet plan from the guys over at Healthyaction.co.uk which is looking good.
I'm hoping to hit 80kg before January its going to be hard but the first 12kg wasnt that easy either.
Tonight was my last night out drinking for a while I've just finished my freshers celebrations so were going to see how it goes.
Il get some new pics up of how im looking tomorrow along with my workout routine and a sample of my daily diet.
I'm hoping to keep this going through to January at least.

All the best

Man of Honour
OP
All the best

Cheers mate, tried out a new gym today and done a leg session.
Loved it its a pretty spit and sawdust place with a cage, rack and enough plates to sink a battleship plus all the weird and wonderful machines you can think of plus a rather menacing set of 62.5kg db's.
Today was the first time I've free squatted in a very long time feels so so much better then using a smith or a hack squat machine I can see my leg strength shooting up :D
Oh yea and it appears I may have to start popping off my shirt at random intervals just to make sure I truly fit in ;)
All for £20 a month and no contract

Last edited:
Soldato
Tom - bit of an update for you:

3 weeks in and I'm feeling much better - had the staples out last Tuesday, and am healing very well and fast - I'm starting on the flexibility exercises now - barely any pain, but still lacking strength in certain directions. Apart from things like twisting my arm to put my coat on etc, I'm pretty much back to normal life, I can ride a bike now, albeit gently :)

Man of Honour
OP
Tom - bit of an update for you:

3 weeks in and I'm feeling much better - had the staples out last Tuesday, and am healing very well and fast - I'm starting on the flexibility exercises now - barely any pain, but still lacking strength in certain directions. Apart from things like twisting my arm to put my coat on etc, I'm pretty much back to normal life, I can ride a bike now, albeit gently :)

That's good to hear mate do they have any idea how long your looking at for full strength to return considering how fast you seem to be recovering?

Also another quick weigh in this morning

Neck - 15" -0.75"
chest - 41.5" -0.5"
stomach - 35" No change
thigh - 25.25" +0.75
calf - 15.75" No change
upper arm - 15.5" No change

Weight - 210.4lbs -2.8lbs I was hoping to hit a nice round 210 this week but I'm close enough :D

Off for my 2nd session at the new place tonight might jump in the cage and try some bb bench for the first time in over a year

Soldato
That's good to hear mate do they have any idea how long your looking at for full strength to return considering how fast you seem to be recovering?

Not really, no - I was the same as you, my left shoulder was considerably smaller than my right - I'm hoping to be back to full strength in a few months - I don't want to overdo it - I'm just still doing flexibility exercises (although I'm getting better every day, even without many exercises). I'm actually fairly ambidextrous, so use my left a fair bit more than a fully right handed person would.

I've taken the rest of the hockey season off - am coaching for now, which is still a fair bit of CV work, which is nice. I'm hoping to be back playing at a good level in September, with some summer training thrown in.

My advice - as soon as you can afford to take the time off, get your shoulder fixed. I feel a lot better for it, and stronger - I don't have to be constantly second guessing my actions, either.

:)

Man of Honour
OP
Luckily its my left shoulder that needs doing or else I'd be lost my left arms next to useless for anything like writing or typing with :D

Had a craving for crap last night so took a trip to Asda 3500kcals of pizza and chocolate cake later I felt I'd eaten that craving into submission :o so must have hit 5000kcals yesterday no problem ooops

Man of Honour
OP
Another quick update. Coming into the last 2 weeks of the MT shape up now I know I've got no chance of winning because some of those guys pull some amazing changes, but its been a good motivator to get me back in the game.

Neck - 15.25" +0.25"
chest - 42" +0.5"
stomach - 34.25" -0.75
thigh - 25" -0.25
calf - 16" +0.25
upper arm - 16" +0.5

Weight - 211lbs +0.6lbs

Really happy that my waist is still coming in starting to get a v shape of some description :D and I can now rep out a few hammer grip pull ups which is a nice improvement.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I'm having another trying to avoid doing any work moments so I just had a quick look at the start of this thread all the way back in Oct '09 and my measurements were higher compared to today's while being nearly 3kg heavier.
So it would appear I've stacked on a fair bit of muscle in that time even with my periods of no training and bad eating along with my periods of being in a calorie deficit and training.

Oct '09 in white and today's in green
weight - 92.5kg 95.5kg
Measurements:
Neck - 16" 15.25"
Chest - 44.5" 42"
Upper arm - 15" 16"
Stomach - 36.5" 34.25"
Thigh - 23.75" 25"
Calf - 15.5" 16"

Can't really complain with that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Looks good mate. It's obvious that you have lost fat from the pics and certain measurements so keep it up :)

Cheers mate I'm quite glad I started this thread as I was thinking I was still looking worse than I did at this time last year, but I can't argue with hard measurements. Also I ******* LOVE THE GYM! its that time of year where all the uni work piles up and a good squat session clears any stress :cool:

Man of Honour
OP
Well I managed to give myself food poisoning on Friday night and I'm still feeling it today, my full food intake for the last 3 days has been some chips and a protein shake with some pb that I managed to force down yesterday.
Couldn't have come at a worse time.

Man of Honour
OP
Just a couple of pics to show you what 3 months of cutting looks like when you're a fat bloke. Plus a couple of random ones just for my own amusement.

Soldato
Tom - had my 6 week check up today with the surgeon - still good progress, according to my physio I'm about 10 weeks ahead of the set out recovery time :eek: Played hockey on monday night, called it a night when I felt a twinge.

I'm back to normal life now, pretty much - I can even twist my arm to get Tshirts on etc.

I still have the odd pain now and again, and I'm still a bit stiff each morning, but thats mainly because I sleep on my left side when I can.

Get it done, best birthday present I've had :)

Man of Honour
OP
Tom - had my 6 week check up today with the surgeon - still good progress, according to my physio I'm about 10 weeks ahead of the set out recovery time :eek: Played hockey on monday night, called it a night when I felt a twinge.

I'm back to normal life now, pretty much - I can even twist my arm to get Tshirts on etc.

I still have the odd pain now and again, and I'm still a bit stiff each morning, but thats mainly because I sleep on my left side when I can.

Get it done, best birthday present I've had :)

Sounds like you've had great progress mate. I'll definitely be looking into in once uni is over, luckily it hasn't caused me any issues since my last dislocation in September.
The MuscleTalk shape up comp ended on Monday, I started a bit late so in around 10 weeks I lost 30lbs and gained the ability to do body weight pull ups :D
I'm now focusing on my holiday which is in 3 weeks hopefully I'll drop below the 200lb mark and I'm also considering entering the fitforum shape up comp just to give me some extra drive once my holiday is over, plus the winner gets a couple of tickets to Vegas for the Olympia and you've got to be in it to win it :p

Associate
Just wondering what is the meat like at that Tarelgin farm food website like? Looking at getting a box of chicken and a turkey breast joint as it considerably cheaper then supermarket

Man of Honour
OP
Just wondering what is the meat like at that Tarelgin farm food website like? Looking at getting a box of chicken and a turkey breast joint as it considerably cheaper then supermarket

Only tried the chicken breast and it's good stuff much better than the supermarket stuff you'd pay twice the price for, in fact you've just reminded me I'm running low.

Back
Top Bottom