My theory on Gel packs - am I correct in what I think is happening?

Soldato
Recently did a long run race and I've been training on my run using Sis gel packs. While my main focus on my long runs is to keep my heart rate down. I'm finding a pattern now when I take a SIS gel during the run my heart rate is getting higher. Now this is a theory of mine and it could be down to other external factors. I want to check with you to see if I'm completely loosing my mind over it or if I can do something about it. If I can, maybe I can stop taking these perticular gel packs but try another brand or another energy substance? Do you have any ideas what I should try?

I have a 22 mile long run this weekend but of course I won't be trying this to jeopardise the long run but keen to know what you guys think.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I noticed this too. Some do have caffeine but it's likely just how they trigger your metabolism.

For my 50 ultra this year I ate bars like Chia Charge and Fulfil along with SaltStick Fastchews to replace lost electrolytes. Much better experience than gels in my opinion.

Soldato
OP
The sis gels are not the caffeine versions but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some traces of it. I will have a look when i go back downstairs.
I dont often eat before a long run (12+ miles) but I might try something light like a banana before this Sunday's run.

I'm not sure about bars as I think they will make my mouth even drier. I can wash it down with water when going past a water station however this is reliant my other half is happy to carry on bringing the flask with her on our runs...

I've done a bit of research and Clif Blocks looks interesting to see how my body reacts to them when I run. Is this the same as the Sis gels packs though?

Associate
There's also the option of a few jelly babies or similar - while a lot of the carbs are sugar, that's not all that different to gels and things. Probably easier to eat than bars if you've no liquid to hand. I've used bars and jelly babies on long rides, although this has the advantage of carrying liquid on the bike, but the jelly babies are certainly easier to eat.

Soldato
OP
I checked the Gels and from the ingredients that I've seen on the packet (which I have no idea what I'm looking for other than the words 'Caffeine' )

Jelly babies are something I've tried but does it still have the type of long endurance properties I need and etc? Possibly not but want to see what others have used instead of 'Gels'

Associate
They probably aren't as slow releasing as bars, but not all that dissimilar to gels I'd expect as the latter tend to be faster absorbed. I'm caveating this a bit as I'm a cyclist rather than a runner, but I've done 4+ hours on jelly babies plus carb drinks with no issues. Little and often is the way to go!

Edit - as @Dup says above, you'll likely have a metabolism spike from your digestive system having to work to process the gel. I've never noticed when riding, but I'm not focussing on HR zones when riding so anything could be happening!

Soldato
OP
They probably aren't as slow releasing as bars, but not all that dissimilar to gels I'd expect as the latter tend to be faster absorbed. I'm caveating this a bit as I'm a cyclist rather than a runner, but I've done 4+ hours on jelly babies plus carb drinks with no issues. Little and often is the way to go!

Edit - as @Dup says above, you'll likely have a metabolism spike from your digestive system having to work to process the gel. I've never noticed when riding, but I'm not focussing on HR zones when riding so anything could be happening!
Thanks, its something I would like to experiment and something that does make sense. I don't eat breakfast as it sits in me and then I end up getting a stitch. I'll try and have something of a few bites possibly and maybe a banana 30 / 45 mins prior to me going out for a run and then try some gels. I have a 22 mile long run to try this weekend so I dont want to really take on something new and then have to bail because of my stomach.

Back
Top Bottom