Need to increase bench press

Soldato
I thought I'd ask here as this sections seems to be all gym related.

My training is currently 12, 10, 8 reps, and I'm stuck at upping my bench press.

72.5kg is doable, 75kg isn't. I get stuck at about rep 8 or 9 and have to rack the weight and go again.
Last week I dropped back to 72.5kg and felt good again, but again today, the 75 was too much.

How do I progress from here?

Do more reps at 72.5kg?
Up the weight and go for 5x5 reps?
Or just keep going as I am at 75kg until I can complete the full set?

Soldato
I thought I'd ask here as this sections seems to be all gym related.

My training is currently 12, 10, 8 reps, and I'm stuck at upping my bench press.

72.5kg is doable, 75kg isn't. I get stuck at about rep 8 or 9 and have to rack the weight and go again.
Last week I dropped back to 72.5kg and felt good again, but again today, the 75 was too much.

How do I progress from here?

Do more reps at 72.5kg?
Up the weight and go for 5x5 reps?
Or just keep going as I am at 75kg until I can complete the full set?

You want to increase the amount of weight you're lifting which means increasing your strength.

Personally, I would suggest a warm up set of 8 reps at 60kg and 4 sets of 6 controlled reps at the heaviest weight you can do. You should aim to feel like you couldn't do a 7th rep ideally and definitely have a spotter.

Soldato
5 x 5 would be a good start. Have you got a spotter? Would give you a bit more confidence to push if so?

EAT MORE! If I’m in calorie deficit, my lifts drop. If I’m in a surplus, my lifts increase.

Last edited:
Associate
So you do a set of 12 and then 10 reps using lighter weight then go for your top weight for 8?

Or are all these sets still warmup sets?

You might be doing too much warmup.

When you tried 75kg did you fail on that last 9th rep? Or did you think "I cant do this" and then rack it?

Back
Top Bottom