New pc between £700 to £1.000 for VR SIM racing

Associate
OP
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Man of Honour
Would I need anything else to build this? Is that all good enough/compatible??
In HUB's videos they generally recommend that you do not buy a 5700X3D/5800X3D unless you already own an AM4 motherboard and instead get a 7500F or 7600, so that you can take advantage of future CPU upgrades and DDR5.

I know you could say the same about the 12600KF, but I consider it acceptable to buy even though the platform is likely EOL, because it is cheaper than those options.

As said above though, you have a motherboard that is Intel 1700 and a CPU that is AMD AM4. If you want the 5700X3D, you need a X570 or B550 board, preferably with USB flashback.

FYI: The 5700X3D has no CPU cooler in the box.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Soldato
TBH if you're really trying to cut costs, the Corsair RM650 would save you a tenner, and the Thermalright Assassin King for £15 would be ample for a 5700X3D.

Man of Honour
That is way over the £700 I had in mind when I started with a 4060.

I'm gonna have to think a lot about it because even with a monitor £1.000 was already a lot to push this is out of my budget by a lot...
If it helps, then just to clarify a few things.

If you say to us "I want to play @ 1440p", especially if it involves VR, we're immediately going to think "DOUBLE THAT BUDGET!" because the truth is that 1440p gaming (especially VR gaming) is very demanding with modern games and we will very rarely make you a spec for just one or two games, because:
1. The PC won't last long when you decide to switch to the latest AAA racing game, or whatever.
and
2. The lack of utility in the build is something hard to justify when you're still spending a lot of money, relatively speaking to many other hobbies.

Sooo... that said, can you play at 1440p with a lower-end card like a 3060 12GB, 4060, or RX 6600? You absolutely can, many games (especially older ones) will run just fine and if you use FSR or DLSS you'll get by in many more.

How to know?
There's two ways: check benchmarks for those specific games or check YouTube videos with the kind of hardware you're thinking of, e.g. search for "F1 2020 RTX 3060 1440p".

Here's an example build closer to the budget:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £781.84 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

In this review, F1 2020 gets 126+ FPS at 1440p (max settings, no upscaling):

In this review, F1 2022 gets 42 FPS average at 1440p (ultra settings, no upscaling). FYI: 4060 gets 52 FPS average, though there may be texture quality issues with only 8GB that aren't shown in the benchmark.

You'd need to look for AC specifically, since it is not present in those benchmarks, I just did a quick search:

I hope that helps with having some more context for your decision.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
OP
If it helps, then just to clarify a few things.

If you say to us "I want to play @ 1440p", especially if it involves VR, we're immediately going to think "DOUBLE THAT BUDGET!" because the truth is that 1440p gaming (especially VR gaming) is very demanding with modern games and we will very rarely make you a spec for just one or two games, because:
1. The PC won't last long when you decide to switch to the latest AAA racing game, or whatever.
and
2. The lack of utility in the build is something hard to justify when you're still spending a lot of money, relatively speaking to many other hobbies.

Sooo... that said, can you play at 1440p with a lower-end card like a 3060 12GB, 4060, or RX 6600? You absolutely can, many games (especially older ones) will run just fine and if you use FSR or DLSS you'll get by in many more.

How to know?
There's two ways: check benchmarks for those specific games or check YouTube videos with the kind of hardware you're thinking of, e.g. search for "F1 2020 RTX 3060 1440p".

Here's an example build closer to the budget:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £781.84 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

In this review, F1 2020 gets 126+ FPS at 1440p (max settings, no upscaling):

In this review, F1 2022 gets 42 FPS average at 1440p (ultra settings, no upscaling). FYI: 4060 gets 52 FPS average, though there may be texture quality issues with only 8GB that aren't shown in the benchmark.

You'd need to look for AC specifically, since it is not present in those benchmarks, I just did a quick search:

I hope that helps with having some more context for your decision.
Amazing thank you! I'll have a look at it later.

Hopefully I can make my mind up and it works well with quest 3 too as on that setup I could get a monitor too.

Man of Honour
I'd recommend you have a good read up on reddit before you buy.

From a quick look, there are a lot of users who say that a card like the 3060 or 4060 is very much borderline for playability, though there are also a fair number of users who say that they have one and it is fine for them, so I suppose it depends on your expectations and the requirements (..and especially the age, I assume) of the games.

So long as you're going into this with your eyes wide open about the compromises you might have to make and that it'll probably only be good enough for today's games, I suspect you'll get away with it.

Associate
OP
I'd recommend you have a good read up on reddit before you buy.

From a quick look, there are a lot of users who say that a card like the 3060 or 4060 is very much borderline for playability, though there are also a fair number of users who say that they have one and it is fine for them, so I suppose it depends on your expectations and the requirements (..and especially the age, I assume) of the games.

So long as you're going into this with your eyes wide open about the compromises you might have to make and that it'll probably only be good enough for today's games, I suspect you'll get away with it.
I guess next would be to get something like 4070 super? Is there anything in between that is worth having while keeping it cheap?

I get that to be able to play properly I'd need to spend a bit more than I was expecting but I don't think I could afford it or my other half would allow me hahahah

Soldato
I guess next would be to get something like 4070 super? Is there anything in between that is worth having while keeping it cheap?

I get that to be able to play properly I'd need to spend a bit more than I was expecting but I don't think I could afford it or my other half would allow me hahahah

Not when you need a Nvidia card I'm afraid, you might luck out on the second hand market with something like a 3080.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not really, the 3060 12GB is a decent card, especially around £250.

The 4060 Ti is barely any faster than the 3060 Ti (sometimes it is slower!) and the 8GB of memory is poor for 2024.

The 16GB version is more usable, but it costs way too much for the performance on offer and since they didn't increase the bus width with the memory, it is far less effective at higher resolutions than the 16GB of memory suggests it should be.

What about a 1660 super?
Worse than the 3060 12GB, so if that's barely enough for the Quest 3, then the 1660 Super definitely won't be enough.

Associate
OP
Would you still choose 3060 over 4060?
Not really, the 3060 12GB is a decent card, especially around £250.

The 4060 Ti is barely any faster than the 3060 Ti (sometimes it is slower!) and the 8GB of memory is poor for 2024.

The 16GB version is more usable, but it costs way too much for the performance on offer and since they didn't increase the bus width with the memory, it is far less effective at higher resolutions than the 16GB of memory suggests it should be.

Worse than the 3060 12GB, so if that's barely enough for the Quest 3, then the 1660 Super definitely won't be enough.

Man of Honour
Would you still choose 3060 over 4060?
If the 3060 12GB is around £250 and the 4060 £300, then yes.

The 3060 12GB is slower and has significantly higher power consumption, but depending on the game, you might end up with higher visual quality and less compromises (since you can use better textures), but lower overall FPS.

The 4060 has more features (like frame generation) and higher compute performance.

Back
Top Bottom