New PC build just dead

Man of Honour
So I’ve spent all afternoon putting it all together. Thought ok, let’s plug it in and switch on with just the PSU to see if it powers up and…nothing!!! Zero signs of life.

Have tried two different power cords and outlets. PSU was working before moving it to this PC. Have I borked my relatively new PSU? What have I missed?

I’ll double check the motherboard power connection. I was at least expecting some lights or something?

Annoyingly I don’t have another PSU to test.

Edit:
7800X3D
ASUS B650 plus WiFi MB
Corsair DDR5 vengeance RAM
7900XTX
RM1000e PSU

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP

I’m just surprised there is zero life, not even standby hums or anything. Can’t think what I have missed.

Have I broken something? I’ll check I haven’t missed a cable. What’s the minimum I need to do to get signs of life from the PSU?

If I put my ear up to the PSU I can hear a very faint clicking.

I’ve worked out where the lights are on the MB. Surely all it needs is the main power connector in order to show signs of life?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Make sure the CPU lead above the hsf is connected properly, it there's two sockets for it you may need both plugged in.

I’ll try both. I’ve only plugged in the 8 pin.

Edit: not sure I have a 4 pin connector?

Edit 2: nope, nothing. It’s increasingly looking like something is dead, I’m just not sure what.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Think you should be fine with just the 8 pin.

Agree with this, such an easy thing to get wrong.

It’s an NZXT case that comes with a connector that as far as I can tell is plugged in correctly. It matches up with the 4 pins on the top of the connector and 5 at the bottom.

Zero signs of life to be seen. Not even the leds that would indicate an error, nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s an NZXT case that comes with a connector that as far as I can tell is plugged in correctly. It matches up with the 4 pins on the top of the connector and 5 at the bottom.

Zero signs of life to be seen. Not even the leds that would indicate an error, nothing.
Try without the connector just in case.

Soldato
Might be worth trying as it's quick, and seen this work at work.

Swap out the kettle lead and use a different power socket.

Man of Honour
OP
Might be worth trying as it's quick, and seen this work at work.

Swap out the kettle lead and use a different power socket.

Tried a different lead and socket.

If memory serves the front panel connector block is not formally standardised and some are different. You should be able to test without the connector fitted by using a screwdriver to touch the pins.

Just tried that, nothing.

I’m starting to think the PSU somehow got damaged during the move. Surely I’d at least be seeing some kind of LEDs or noise from somewhere?

Tempted to order an new PSU. Worst case scenario I can return it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some thoughts:
- could be a dead motherboard
- are motherboard standoffs fitted?
- triple check the case power button is connected to the right place, I can't tell from the pics

Man of Honour
OP
Was going to sugest you may need this breakout cable, but seeing as the screwdriver trick did not work, maybe not.

You could try jump starting the PSU to see if there is any signs of life.

Helpful. So I did that and the PSU fan and RGB fans that were connected spun up! So PSU fine?

I’m going to have to take everything off the motherboard aren’t I. Thoughts? Must be the motherboard surely.

Last edited:
Associate
From looking at your mobo manual there are 4 LEDS on the top right for checking the CPU, DRAM etc during boot process. None of them light at all, even briefly ? Also, have you tried with just one RAM module. Shouldn't be that, but memory can do funny things sometimes ...
I'd try reseating the 24 pin ATX power supply cable ( at both ends ) and the 8 pin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom