*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Nice one,

Now get some beef short ribs on that beauty for 8 hrs.

I managed to squeeze in some pulled pork over the weekend. It came out OK, but a few adjustments needed on this thing vs by WSM.

For those that are considering this Kamado brand / model, it's also known as the K24 Pit Boss. It doesn't come with every single piece of accessory you may ever want, however at over half the price of the Kamado Joe - that isn't a huge surprise.

These are:
- Half side heat shields (only 1 3/4 included in this)
- No charcoal basket, apparently this might be needed for the ultra long low and slow cooks? Maybe someone here could provide some guidance?

I have no plans to rush out and buy some bits that are missing, however I will need to make some adjustments to the intake and exhaust vent. It seems that they just don't seal very well. When fully shut, air can still get in and fuel the fire. I plan to fix that over the coming week.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The basket is a about the best upgrade you can do, keeps the burn much more consistent and you can pull it out and let the thing cool down much easier instead or either letting it all burn off or let it choke to death saving some charcoal.

Another tip is to put wood chucks in the ash collection area, the embers will release some more of the smoke after your normal blocks have burnt away.

Really tempted for a bigger Kamado but as you say the weight of them is the only downside.

Soldato
The basket is a about the best upgrade you can do, keeps the burn much more consistent and you can pull it out and let the thing cool down much easier instead or either letting it all burn off or let it choke to death saving some charcoal.

Another tip is to put wood chucks in the ash collection area, the embers will release some more of the smoke after your normal blocks have burnt away.

Really tempted for a bigger Kamado but as you say the weight of them is the only downside.

They are just a pricey addition/upgrade - which I might not use a lot (if that makes sense). Hoping to make do with what I have for now.

Here is the gasket piece I mentioned, I hope to do both the bottom and top vent with it - https://www.grden.co.uk/products/felt-gasket-extra-thick - I'm sure I can find it cheaper. I'm hoping this would resolve the issues I mentioned above and help choke the fire quickly.

Wood chucks in the ash area, that doesn't impact the air flow?

To be fair, I moaned about the size but once we have got it in, on wheels - no plans to lift it out again any time soon :)

Soldato
I think the next purchase for my kamado is going to be an ash pan as its a royal pain in the ass cleaning it out at the moment after a few cooks.
That was one of the best upgrades for my WSM. I bought a fire basket with a handle that I can just lift out and empty, saves moving the whole base or scooping it out with a dustpan and brush.

Soldato
That was one of the best upgrades for my WSM. I bought a fire basket with a handle that I can just lift out and empty, saves moving the whole base or scooping it out with a dustpan and brush.
I was referring more to the ash catcher that would sit under that but the fire basket is also on my list of things to buy. They're so expensive!

Soldato
My replacement for the WSM came as an all in one bucket type with the fire basket and ash catcher below. I agree, for what it is, it was expensive, but it's a good quality of life improvement.

Soldato
Yeh for sure. I read last night for LG 24" Kamado you can actually use an 8inch stainless steel dog bowl as the ash catcher so just ordered one of those for £3 off Amazon, haha.
But yeh, next upgrade is definitely going to be the basket. Will be a nice addition for sure.

Associate
Has anyone bought an aftermarket rotisserie kit for their grill ?
Fancy doing a chicken on the nexgrill,have seen kits ranging from £40 to over £100 on Amazon and the likes wondered if anyone here had taken the plunge.

Soldato
Yeh for sure. I read last night for LG 24" Kamado you can actually use an 8inch stainless steel dog bowl as the ash catcher so just ordered one of those for £3 off Amazon, haha.
But yeh, next upgrade is definitely going to be the basket. Will be a nice addition for sure.
How do you keep the airflow open?

I've just purchased a charcoal basket for my LG 24 - hopeful that will make cleanup and cooking a little easier :)

taB

taB

Associate
Fancy doing a chicken on the nexgrill,have seen kits ranging from £40 to over £100 on Amazon and the likes wondered if anyone here had taken the plunge.

I have an onlyfire one for my weber and really like it. It's all waterproofed nicely and cable is chunky which I like.

Soldato

As above, I bought the Onlyfire one from Amazon a couple years ago as well. It was much cheaper than the proper Weber one but for my purposes it's been perfect.

Associate
any good table top bbqs around, not too big or bulky. Just want to smoke some ribs, the odd chicken etc etc???
I got a Ninja Woodfire grill this week, and did my first cook in it today - pulled pork, turned out pretty well! I'd want to tweak the flavours in the rub next time, and maybe try different pellets, but I can't fault the grill itself.

t2HWTyI.jpg

4kkhvec.jpg

It's not cheap at £350, but it's so easy to use that I can absolutely see myself cooking a lot of things that I would never bother doing with a more traditional BBQ smoker setup.

Back
Top Bottom