On the quest for gains. Any gains.

Soldato
I've been on and off throughout the years with my quest to build strength, staying healthy and becoming a greek adonis. Now I think if I can commit myself to updating this log, it might keep a visual track of any progress and will help with me staying on track. Obviously any pointers and from fellow Gym Rats will also be very welcome and appreciated.

For a few years now I've been carrying too much weight and have too many squidgy parts. This is primarily due to my enjoyment of beer and not being disciplined with my diet during the week. This is now changing.

After following these sub forum for a few years, I have decided to attempt Stronglifts again.

Firstly my stats:

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 14st 1lb

Originally my goal was to get down to 13st but I am now not too concerned on weight (I will track this but will not be fixated on it) and more interested in charging my general body shape.

I'm consuming 2100 cals per pay and following this on myfitness pal.

Macro targets are:

Protein: 211g
Carbs: 211g
Fat: 47g

I started Stronglifts 2 and half months ago. Starting weights were:

Squats: 40kg
Bench Press: 40kg
BOR: 40kg
Deadlifts: 80kg
OHP: 35kg

I am currently at:

Squats: 92.5kg
Bench Press: 67.5kg
BOR: 67.5kg
Deadlifts: 107.5kg
OHP: 50kg (failed last 2 sessions at this weight)

The main challenge I have is finding time during the week to workout as I quite often travel for work during the week and can either get home late and stay out in hotels. I accept that will slow progress slightly but that's something I'll have to stay disciplined and not lose motivation.

All advice is very much welcome, particularly concerning diet.

Soldato
Nice work, stronglifts is a great starter, if oyu have time you can throw in 2-3 additional exercises each session for a bit more focused work.

Diet wise you can comfortably get away with lowering your protein and upping your cals to stick on 2100 but have a more balanced input. 210g is quite a bit.

Given what info you have, you could probably easily stick at 2.1k cals and lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, especially as a relatively newbie lifter.

Soldato
OP
I did think about adding a few additional exercises but my rest periods are starting to increase now

The protein intake is based on a 40/40/20 split for carbs, protein and fat. I can't remember where I read to use this split though. Would you recommend changing this?

Soldato
I did think about adding a few additional exercises but my rest periods are starting to increase now

The protein intake is based on a 40/40/20 split for carbs, protein and fat. I can't remember where I read to use this split though. Would you recommend changing this?
Generally speaking diets tend to have a proteins and fats target and carbs are the filler. For protein the target should be 1-1.5lb per lb of target bodyweight. Fats should be 50-80g depending on preference, and then the rest of your cals you can fill with carbs.

So in your case your protein target might be better towards 180g, and increase the carbs by the amount you reduce the protein by as your fats are roughly at the 50g line anyway.

Higher protein isn't bad, its just sometimes seen as bit wasted. I tend to lean on the higher side for protein as well so its not the end of the world. Also for cutting at least protein has a higher thermic effect so in theory the body burns more calories just mobilising the protein. Marginal benefits :D

Soldato
OP
Generally speaking diets tend to have a proteins and fats target and carbs are the filler. For protein the target should be 1-1.5lb per lb of target bodyweight. Fats should be 50-80g depending on preference, and then the rest of your cals you can fill with carbs.

So in your case your protein target might be better towards 180g, and increase the carbs by the amount you reduce the protein by as your fats are roughly at the 50g line anyway.

Higher protein isn't bad, its just sometimes seen as bit wasted. I tend to lean on the higher side for protein as well so its not the end of the world. Also for cutting at least protein has a higher thermic effect so in theory the body burns more calories just mobilising the protein. Marginal benefits :D
I'm wondering whether I can up my fats a little. I always seem to go over most days. Not by a massive amount but might tweak it slightly and reduce the protein intake. I have a feeling that the peanut butter I put in my morning smoothie takes up a big chunk of my intake and I'm reluctant to take it out :o

Soldato
OP
Yesterday's session was a struggle. Due to working away from home, I decided to get up at 4am to hit the gym for 5.30am before work. The idea was hoping that this time would allow for a breakfast to fuel my workout. I didn't quite work :o

Squats: 100kg x 5 x 5
BP: 72.5kg 5,4,2 then finished off the 3rd set at 67.5kg and last 2 sets I could only manage 4 reps at 67.5kg
BOR: 70kg x 5 x 5

Soldato
OP
After missing a couple of days due to work, I was able to get back to it.

Squats: 107.5kg x5 x5
OHP: 50kg x5,5,5,5,4
Deadlifts: 120kg x5 x2

Almost completed the OHP after failing on 3 attempts a few weeks ago. Confident I'll be able to complete this next time. Felt like my form went a bit west at times whilst doing squats. I'll video the next session and may knock the weight back a bit to sort it out. I usually try for 3 sets of deadlifts but just about managed to complete 2 sets at full weight.

Soldato
OP
A combination of work and a weekend on the beer has stalled things a little.

Since today was the first time in the gym for over a week, the stronglifts app recommended to deload by 10% which unhappily obliged.

Squats: 95kg x5x5
BP: 65kg x5x5
BOR: 65kg x5x5

Form felt good with squats. Hopefully I can maintain it when getting back to where I was before

Soldato
OP
Squats: bar x 12, 87.5kg x5, 110kg x5x5
BP: bar x12, 57.5kg x5, 72.5kg x5,5,4,4,3
BOR: 72.5kg x5x5

Felt good except for bench press. I was a bit hesitant on pushing for a 5th rep for sets 3 and 4 without a spotter. Maybe I just need to nut up for the next session

Soldato
OP
Squats: bar x12,
87.5kg x6,
112.5kg x5x5

OHP: bar x10
50kg x5x5

DL: 107.5kg x5
122.5kg x5

Finally completed OHP at 50kg after many unsuccessful attempts in the past. New PBs for squats and deadlifts too. All in all, happy with my progression.

Soldato
Good progress. In the past when I would fail to complete 5*5 on a particular exercise I would knock 10% off and follow on from that point.

If you fail at 55kg on ohp then deload it, fall back to about 47.5-50kg then when you reach 55kg in a few weeks you should nail it.

Soldato
OP
Good progress. In the past when I would fail to complete 5*5 on a particular exercise I would knock 10% off and follow on from that point.

If you fail at 55kg on ohp then deload it, fall back to about 47.5-50kg then when you reach 55kg in a few weeks you should nail it.
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm finding a deload would get me through a plateau.

Back
Top Bottom