PBO2 Question...

Permabanned
So I just had a play with PBO2 set to advanced, negative 25 offset - my 5700x doesn't like -30...

Latest BIOS/drivers/updates in Win10 FWIW.

Ran Cinebench on both stock and with the above done, no higher clocks in single or multi core tests, and it achieved higher score than a 5800x at both STOCK and with PBO2 -25? In the single thread it was only 2 points off a 5800x with the -25 offset.

What's going on here? I thought it would boost higher in single or multi, which it didn't? And achieve a higher score?

My temps are stupidly low 53-56C at stock or with the -25, so no throttling going on?

Is my 5700x just 'that good' with everything stock set to auto? Thus it is pointless doing the -25 offset?

So TLDR am I wasting my time if -25 is all it'll achieve with the rest on auto? I don't see 'the point' in doing the usual 4.7GHz all core overclock and putting 156w through it, like people have shown online doing it?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not really my thing undevolting on AMD but if your hitting 5800x scores in cinibench with an undervolt is a win

Not sure why there's no Clock increase but maybe you got a special CPU :D

Permabanned
OP
Not really my thing undevolting on AMD but if your hitting 5800x scores in cinibench with an undervolt is a win

Not sure why there's no Clock increase but maybe you got a special CPU :D
It's more the weirdness that it beats a 5800x at multi stock, and is only 4 points under in single core.
Yet when it's undervolted with PBO it's no better/worse? Same scores.

Makes no sense?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So PBO is just a lazy undervolt then? Ah that makes sense then!
All these stupid videos with fake graphs making out they got another 200mhz etc doing it, thought it seemed suspicious!
They're probably not lying, I think what it does is reduce the voltage at each given frequency, so if there is an available envelope (of heat/power) for it to boost higher, then PBO can do that, but the difference would depend on the CPU and the cooling.

Permabanned
OP
They're probably not lying, I think what it does is reduce the voltage at each given frequency, so if there is an available envelope (of heat/power) for it to boost higher, then PBO can do that, but the difference would depend on the CPU and the cooling.
Ah ok, my 5700x stock max temp is 53-56c, thanks to a PA120SE and 2 140mm BeQuiet's+ a 120mm rear and a meshy airflow happy case, so I don't think I've anything to gain...
My cinebench temps were the same regardless of stock or -25 PBO :( and the clocks never changed in single or multi.

I cba to do the 156w draw 4.7GHz all core as that's nearly 100w over stock and will surely kill my CPU quite quickly without the real 'need' gains wise, as I haven't got an issue playing anything, would have just been awesome if it did boost higher with -25 PBO and undervolted :)

Soldato
So PBO is just a lazy undervolt then? Ah that makes sense then!
All these stupid videos with fake graphs making out they got another 200mhz etc doing it, thought it seemed suspicious!
If you only fiddle with Curve Optimiser then yes, you pretty much only did an undervolt. I'm pretty sure if you want higher speeds it's a separate thing within PBO2, something along the lines of AutoOC offset or something. You might need to lower the undervolt in case higher speeds aren't stable.

Permabanned
OP
If you only fiddle with Curve Optimiser then yes, you pretty much only did an undervolt. I'm pretty sure if you want higher speeds it's a separate thing within PBO2, something along the lines of AutoOC offset or something. You might need to lower the undervolt in case higher speeds aren't stable.
Ah ok cool, I usually do stuff the old school way manually, but thought I'd try PBO2 as it's so hyped up on videos, I guess they neglected to mention that part regarding the clocks! I did wonder why nothing was happening in terms of gains, and my temps are so good as is my cooling, it made to my eyes no difference :cry:

FWIW this matey in the video was basically claiming that if you undervolted it the CPU would in short be able to boost higher as it hasn't hit it's power threshold/safeguard and would gain 1-200mhz as his graphs showed on my hardware, the reality was it didn't when following his steps :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
OK, so I just got it to boost to upto 4.85GHz all core at only 72-76C and 117-122W in Cinebench 2024! The PA120SE is a beast! It wasn't even running a high fan curve, as I'd tweaked it for silence when the 5700X was stock :D

So it was fine doing Cinebench 2024, I scored 912 where a 5800x was 824!

However it did crash in AW2 after 5 mins - but was running 4.85GHz/only 53C during that as I checked :) Very impressive!

In the BIOS I tried:
PPT: 120
TDC: 80
EDC: 120
+200mhz Auto OC
10x Scaler
-25 negative offset for PBO

I don't want to use Ryzen Master, I want to do it properly in the BIOS, any ideas what I should change, I haven't overclocked something since the Q66 quad core era hahaha!

Should I try decreasing the PBO undervolt first, maybe something safe like -10 then try getting upto -20? As the temps clearly aren't an issue ;)

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
You could do per-core offsets, it's a fun way to spend a day :D
Just currently being lazy :D:cry:

EDIT:
Got some good progress, I enabled Load Line Calibration to #4 as recommended in a video for MSI boards, I've left the rest the same, so far 4850mhz 79w max.

This time ive played AW2 for an hour with no crashes, I checked the previous event log, it was core 1 that had the issue before.

It would appear just turning on Load Line Calibration fixed the crash!

EDIT 2: Tried OCCT, crashed within a minute, now trying it at -20, and will knock it back until I find a sweet spot, if I can't at this MHz, I'll just clock it to 4.7GHz which I hear is the sweet spot for a 5700x?

Going to do some proper stress testing and if it behaves then that's a nice bonus OC and puts it in 5800x or above territory:)

Is there any benefit to tweaking each core's offset, or is that purely for undervolting, as I'm only reaching 66-69C which is nothing for a 5700X right? IIRC 90C is the thermal throttling limit and my PA120SE fans are barely spinning and I have awesome airflow in my case, so I can always tweak stuff if needed.

FWIW I only use this rig for gaming, so don't really care about multi core performance, unless a game requires it... What games actually use multiple cores? I know CP does, does AW2?

So TLDR am I right in think the negative offset is purely just the undervolt, so it's still undervolted, just not as much, i.e. if it's stable just leave it if the temps are fine, or go anal and test per core via CoreCycler/Event Viewer and adjust if I want lower temps?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
So far, the most stable for OCCT stress testing, is 4750mhz/1.29-1.36v/117w max, with a -22 offset +100mhz and the rest on auto, with a CLL of 4 which I'm told is recommended for MSI boards?

Cinebench 2024 score went from 901 where a stock 5800x was 824 when it wasn't stable at 4850mhz to now 897 - so still very impressive. Temps under mixed testing types/loads on OCCT are 67-69C with 100% fan spin on the PA120SE, in game they were around 62-66C in AW2 with the higher unstable clocks, so we shall see once I get it fully stable in OCCT/Prime95 what the final temps are and I can dial in the fan curves.

Am I right in thinking when I select smallest FFT's in either Prime95 or OCCT, that the reason it doesn't max out the mhz is because it's a harder load, so a CPU simply can't do that, as it pushes the temps to 85C of which real world it'd never see gaming, where as doing the mixed instruction set tests in either program gives me the a lighter load thus it can max the new overclock on multicore?

I will update after I've let it bench for hours - providing it doesn't BSOD :cry::D

Am I better off keeping trying to work out the PPT TDC EDC or trying other peoples examples online? Or just leave it in auto like this guy recommended in another post - as I'm trying a bit of everything to see what is easiest to get stable currently.

Permabanned
OP
After enjoying playing around with it and then looking online in gaming, the difference is at best around 6-12fps stock 5700x vs 5800x in the most demanding games, so I think I'm just going to leave it stock or maybe use PBO as an undervolt, but my temps are so good it doesn't really need it tbf. Plus I love the silent build vs hearing the fans, not that they're loud but I've become very snobby with complete silence haha!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom