Playstation 3 in 2023

Soldato
Yeah, might just do that, slims are pretty cheap now, and I'm moving all of my stuff downstairs now so a smaller lighter PS3 might be a better option for my plans.

Associate
I have a phat 40gb and a slim. Personally could never use the phat ps3/4's again with the jet engine factor, despite repaste/cleaning it out, and even going so far as setting a custom fan curve, the slim is just silent on both ps3/4.

I recently repasted my original PS4, but it's just as bad as it ever was I think.

Have my eye out for a second hand slim or pro. Any idea if the pro is as loud as the originals?

Permabanned
I recently repasted my original PS4, but it's just as bad as it ever was I think.

Have my eye out for a second hand slim or pro. Any idea if the pro is as loud as the originals?
Yeah I had the same on both my ps3/4 phat's, 'ever so slightly' quieter for half hour then NOPE! Jet engine engage!

I went for a slim as I get very bad luck and read it's very hit or miss with the Pro's being loud/quiet, and I'd sods law end up with a loud one!

Associate
Yeah I had the same on both my ps3/4 phat's, 'ever so slightly' quieter for half hour then NOPE! Jet engine engage!

I went for a slim as I get very bad luck and read it's very hit or miss with the Pro's being loud/quiet, and I'd sods law end up with a loud one!
Yep, that sounds about right!!

I'm not sure I need the pro as such, it's just nice to have and they're not crazy money on marketplace. Just be a pain to replace a loud console with another loud one

Permabanned
Yep, that sounds about right!!

I'm not sure I need the pro as such, it's just nice to have and they're not crazy money on marketplace. Just be a pain to replace a loud console with another loud one
Yeah wasn't worth the risk for me, as my luck is that bad, I could buy one that's never been gamed on/clean it regularly, and it'd be a jet engine, then someone else could pull one out of a skip and theirs be silent, lol that's just how much luck goes throughout life :rolleyes:

I jailbroke both my ps3/4's and the 9.00 legendary firmware required on a slim is expensive/hard to find/holds it's value and the pro at the time was another £90, and the slim on a 9.00 OFW was already a fair bit more than I'd want to pay...

Good thing was I sold my 9.00 Phat PS4 to the seller of the 9.00 as he literally sells jailbreakable OFW models only, so worked out about £45 of my own money in the end :)

I have a gaming PC under the TV (in my sig) so I'm fine with 1080p on old consoles, I actually funnily enough did the RE4R expansion on the ps4 slim when it came out, on my ps4 slim, for nostaglia, as I'd done the full game on the ps4 slim, as this was before I'd built the new PC.

Last edited:
Associate
I still have a PS3 set up at all times. I didn't play much last year but I definitely plan on rectifying that this year. I have a nice long list of games I plan to get through! Staring with Deadly Premonition!

Soldato
I still have a PS3 set up at all times. I didn't play much last year but I definitely plan on rectifying that this year. I have a nice long list of games I plan to get through! Staring with Deadly Premonition!
I really want to play that, but I worry about amount of glitches/crashes it is notorious for.

Soldato
I also still have the PS3 slim setup and do use it as I'm still actively collection PS3 games. It wasn't that long ago I picked up a PS3 super slim, I'd never seen one till this point.

Soldato

Just play it with headset on these days and try ignore the issue on my PRO, the fan profiles and quality of the actual fans, means as you say no matter what you do both 3's and 4's have aspirations to be a jet lol

wouldn't get rid of either ever though, both such a great consoles still :)

Last edited:
Associate
Every PS3 or xBox 360 I've ever owned has gone faulty in some way. I got an xBox 360 to play GTA4 and then eventually GTA5 when that came out but after two months of using it, the xBox started to develop some strange issues, I bought it of a friend for cheap so there was no warranty. I decided to trade it into CEX for a PS3 before it died and they did a quick test and were happy so that was a bit of luck and I got my PS3.

The the PS3 I got from CEX over heated after a short time so I returned it and got another... the same thing happened to that, so I did the air fan and cooler mod which kept it going for about 6 more months until it died. Then I got another PS3 and that one also started to over heat after some months so I gave up and I was hoping the PS4 would have GTA4 & 5 but nope.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most fat PS3’s have been abused, and they are old now. They need a good clean and thermal paste. I have a backwards compatible fat PS3 that’s been delid but I use a later slim ps3 for playing most ps3 games off disc, just because it’s quieter and doesn’t run as hot. Also I’m less worried bout killing a slim haha.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I'm not sure HDD is the bottleneck necessarily given the time it takes is way longer than what the size of the downloads would take to write to disk or copy etc. It must be CPU/Mem related somehow and perhaps an inefficient way of conducting the install. I'm not sure. Left overnight and it still wasn't done.

Soldato
Every PS3 or xBox 360 I've ever owned has gone faulty in some way. I got an xBox 360 to play GTA4 and then eventually GTA5 when that came out but after two months of using it, the xBox started to develop some strange issues, I bought it of a friend for cheap so there was no warranty. I decided to trade it into CEX for a PS3 before it died and they did a quick test and were happy so that was a bit of luck and I got my PS3.

The the PS3 I got from CEX over heated after a short time so I returned it and got another... the same thing happened to that, so I did the air fan and cooler mod which kept it going for about 6 more months until it died. Then I got another PS3 and that one also started to over heat after some months so I gave up and I was hoping the PS4 would have GTA4 & 5 but nope.
PS4 does have GTA 5, in fact so does PS5!

You can play GTA4 on Xbox One / Xbox Series via backwards compatibility.

Back
Top Bottom