Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
Is it not a case of reverse = dip, otherwise normal?
It seems to have a mind of its own, so engage reverse it dips, but not at the right angle so I have to adjust (I was away when my drive was done and my wife didn't get enough wall cut back :(). When I creep forward it undoes how I wanted it to put it back to normal, and then when you engage reverse again it doesn't dip. I just haven't taken the time to turn off dip!

Soldato
It seems to have a mind of its own, so engage reverse it dips, but not at the right angle so I have to adjust (I was away when my drive was done and my wife didn't get enough wall cut back :(). When I creep forward it undoes how I wanted it to put it back to normal, and then when you engage reverse again it doesn't dip. I just haven't taken the time to turn off dip!

Sounds like the car is trolling you :p

Soldato
While we're on the subject of Cayman features - does anyone know if you get passenger side mirror dipping in reverse as standard? I've read conflicting things that say you do, but others say you have to get the 14/18-way seats to enable it, as it provides the memory.
Need memory seats yep. Weird one that, they’re not super slow at least so I just manually do it when doing a tight reverse park in the GT4.

Associate
IMO

Get a 981 Boxster + Macan V6

Both will come in close to a 718 GTS.
My wife and I did just this, though the 981 S came a few years before the macan.

I’ll agree the macan is easily best in class in terms of sporty driving for an SUV, especially with the air suspension. If I had to have a do it all in a single car, it would be it, you really can throw them around in a way you really wouldn’t expect and on a b road they really are quite impressive.

If fuel economy is important to you, get the cayman/boxster, macan is easily 10mpg worse than the cayman.

Last edited:
Associate
I thought PDK suited this car and engine better, all the gt4 boys say the same especially on track.
the 992T is very suited to a manual thou, but 992 GTS pdk is savage, another level with that 8 speed gear ratio.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought PDK suited this car and engine better, all the gt4 boys say the same especially on track.
the 992T is very suited to a manual thou, but 992 GTS pdk is savage, another level with that 8 speed gear ratio.

Don’t really understand the “suit it” argument. You either want a manual to change gears yourself or you don’t.

I understand that yes a PDK has shorter ratios, and can keep you in the power band more of the time, but it ultimately changes the driving experience.

I have a PDK in my Boxster, but mainly because it’s the best auto box I’ve used and close enough to driving a manual that I don’t miss it too much, as I have another manual car.

My dad, however, only has the Cayman as a manual car so really wanted the extra tactility and engagement you get. No commuting in the car at all.

Driving a manual as a petrol head is, IMO, a rewarding experience at any speed. I just enjoy manually changing the gear.

Personally PDK is good enough, but if I’d seen a manual in the same spec as mine I’d have gone manual I think.

Just need to change the shift direction on my PDK as, with all Porsches from that gen, it’s backwards - think this will help it further :)

Associate
Renewal is due shortly for the 911 GTS, who are you guys using for your Porsches insurance?

Last years premium was £536, renewal is upto £720 with LV!

Ta :)

Associate
Ouch, so Lockton came in at £1200 for a 3k mile policy!! No thanks. Will see if CK can do any better when I'm back in country or it's a renewal with LV!

Man of Honour
An insurer - new door and associated parts, £5k at least I would say.

A normal decent bodywork place could probably sort it for £1k ish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Someone hit my Taycan and drove off not leaving details last week. Have taken it to the body shop to get a quote today. Any guesses on what they will come back with?
Closest wins no prize...

20240115_083522

at least £2k I'd have thought. Similar happened to me years ago and was that, but that's a porsche in 2024.....so maybe double it.

cctv?

Last edited:
Associate
An insurer - new door and associated parts, £5k at least I would say.

A normal decent bodywork place could probably sort it for £1k ish.
The doors are Aluminium so I know they wont be able to repair and require a new door. My guess is £4k but I am prepared to be surprised

Back
Top Bottom