Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Associate
Check your wheel nuts are torqued? I had a very similar thing, and it was super bizarre. I went to "inspect" and realised my wheel nuts were only finger tight. Under heavy braking it wasn't there, but light braking it was super noticable.
Thats really odd!! Centre lock bolts on a GTS and they are indicated to be all at spec on the bolt facings and besides, I have nothing that will get to the torque levels specified!! Everything else feels spot on...

I will have another thorough inspection tomorrow!

Last edited:
Associate
There’s no way your centre lock is loose, it has a locking pin inside the cover. Could be pad knock back but you’d probably feel a vibration too tbh. Brakes good otherwise, power and feel?

We need pics of the car! Used to have a gts

Last edited:
Associate
There’s no way your centre lock is loose, it has a locking pin inside the cover. Could be pad knock back but you’d probably feel a vibration too tbh. Brakes good otherwise, power and feel?

We need pics of the car! Used to have a gts
That's good to know All feels fine and dandy tbh with no change to pedal feel, it's a very odd thing indeed!!

I'll get some pics on when she's nice and clean

Soldato
Choice of 2 718 Caymans, which would you go for? Both white, have PDK, Bose, SC, sport exhaust, MF wheel, park assist, extended warranty to mid 2026.

2017 Cayman S, 22k miles, has PDLS+, full leather interior.

2018 Cayman GTS 2.5, 42k miles, sport design exterior, carbon/red stitching alcantara interior, PASM

The GTS is £1500 cheaper, more powerful and better looks. The only thing in my mind is that higher mileage. The car will be a daily, but 5-6k a year at most.

Last edited:
Commissario
Choice of 2 718 Caymans, which would you go for? Both white, have PDK, Bose, SC, sport exhaust, MF wheel, park assist, extended warranty to mid 2026.

2018 Cayman GTS, 42k miles, sport design exterior, carbon/red stitching alcantara interior, PASM

The GTS is £1500 cheaper, more powerful and better looks. The only thing in my mind is that higher mileage. The car will be a daily, but 5-6k a year at most.
The GTS for sure.

Soldato

2018 Cayman GTS 2.5, 42k miles, sport design exterior, carbon/red stitching alcantara interior, PASM

PDLS+ is quite a nice option, otherwise you get Xenons.

What size wheels? I don't think PASM is needed on either if running Michelin, as they have soft sidewall. My 981 S with 20 inch running PS4S with PASM in sport mode is still quite decent.

Sport design exterior is quite a nice option for looks. Think the GTS has LSD as standard as well (PTV).

Soldato
The internet would always say to go for the GTS. They both sound like good cars with nice spec. Tempting to spend the £1500 difference on V-Power and servicing. Alternatively choose the one you like the colour of best!

Soldato
Just popping in here.

Regarding the Cayman GT4 - are the 3.8 and 4.0 both 718s?

A quick ebay mooch shows a blue 3.8 at Scott Hardy for just under 70K (I like this one) and 4.0 at a few grand more. I'm assuming the 4.0 is the most desirable?

991 GTS and Turbo seem to start at about 80K. Is the Turbo "S" that much different over a non S?

GTS seems more preferable to non GTS although not sure how different the GTS is against a Turbo.

Although I like the track spec looking GT4s, I'm not sure if I want something more comfortable hence looking at GTS and Turbo 911.

Would running costs be any different between GT4 and 911 of either version? Although buying something like this isn't out of the question for me, I don't really want a "toy" that hoovers up money like well, a hoover. :)

Associate
I think the 3.8 would be the previous gen, the 981. The 4.0 is the 718. Neither engine is the same as the GT3 afaik.

Assume your looking at gen 2 991? I did have a 991.1 GTS and it was the last of the NA engines and the one i'd pick over a gen2 tbh which has the 3.0 unit. Ive seen plenty of smoking turbos on 3.0 engines and the engine sound is more subaru than porsche imho ymmv etc etc.

Turbo S basically has more kit, carbon brakes etc etc. Likely a better resale proposition

Back in NA days of the 991.1 there was obviously a clear difference between GTS (and the other carreras) and the turbo's; and now that given everything is turbo its more trim level, trim type i.e. more GT or more sporty etc than about the engines. You can map a carrera T to beyond a GTS etc....

Last edited:
Soldato
@EddScott - the main decision is whether you want a track focused car or not. The GT4 would be amazing, but I worry you’d need padded shorts to use it day to day. Depends what your intended use is.

Edit - while I think my dream would be a GT3, I wonder if I’d get tired of it being so stiff and having a fixed roof. Even my lowly 997 C2S is very stiff with PASM in sport mode. Maybe a 911 speedster…

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks both.

I have this notion that as I wide down from work and kids get older, we'll have time available to do a bit of european driving trips. Whilst I like taking my Evo or Impreza to the 'Ring they're not ideal mile munchers :D

On the noise side, I can imagine the flat engine sounds a bit like a Subaru - mine has equal manifold so sounds a bit like a beetle at times.

I didn't realise that was the difference between 991.1 and .2 Any purchase will be with a warranty and I think maybe only through Porsche used unless it's safe to buy outside the Porsche network?

Useage would only be as a 2nd car. It's a bit of a pain having two toy cars as storage is limited for me so I'm looking to drop to one in the future.

Last edited:
Associate
My advice is pretty simple tbh. do a few test drives, perhaps a targa at one end, and a GTS at the other in the 911 line up. Id also drive any cayman, doesnt have to be a GT4. When I did this.... it was 1/2 a mile to decide it had to be a 911 tbh.

The GT cars are a completely different animal to any of the carreras including the GTS. I recently went from 991.1 GTS to 991.2 GT3. A world of difference and not one I realised until I drove one. They are all harder, pointier and louder than any of the others. The experience is massively hieghtened.... its the usual adage, you want the bentley GT to get where your going and the GT3 when you get there; you just need to choose your compromise.

Fwiw, my experience so far and 6 months in, is that the GT car is worth the sacrifice, afterall you wont be doing a euro trip every month and when your in the UK id rather have the GT experience; and when I get where im going on a euro trip the GT will be amazing.

Go drive some, it will be apparent :D

Back
Top Bottom