Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Soldato
The Falcons look lovely.
I had a pair of the Quad 11s for a while. Lovely looking, but left me rather underwhelmed.
The Quads definitely get a few points for the finish, but at their price point I've always rather liked them.

The Falcons are much more laid back and easy to listen to. Was spinning a bit of jazz last night, Mammal Hands, Portico Quartet, then some electronic - Jon Hopkins Late Night Tales (my personal favourite of that series).

The bass initially felt a bit too much but I think that's because I was used to the Quads that roll off at 80hz, these go down to 32hz. Maybe they loosed up a bit in the few hours I was listening or I just got used to it, but it sounds much more balanced now, rather than standing out like it felt at first.

Next think I need to do is sort out a DAC/Tidal streamer. My TV is just running through optical into a 10quid amazon DAC (sadness, but I was in a hurry to get something hooked up when we moved in). All I need is something that'll take the optical from the TV, and run Tidal Connect and make use of the high-res playback from there. Any recommendations. I could run to a used Naim ND5 XS2, but it would need to pass the 'other half' test and not need an app in order to make sure it switches to the optical input to make the TV audio playback, or at the very least, default to it when turned on.

Soldato
The Quads definitely get a few points for the finish, but at their price point I've always rather liked them.

The Falcons are much more laid back and easy to listen to. Was spinning a bit of jazz last night, Mammal Hands, Portico Quartet, then some electronic - Jon Hopkins Late Night Tales (my personal favourite of that series).

The bass initially felt a bit too much but I think that's because I was used to the Quads that roll off at 80hz, these go down to 32hz. Maybe they loosed up a bit in the few hours I was listening or I just got used to it, but it sounds much more balanced now, rather than standing out like it felt at first.

Next think I need to do is sort out a DAC/Tidal streamer. My TV is just running through optical into a 10quid amazon DAC (sadness, but I was in a hurry to get something hooked up when we moved in). All I need is something that'll take the optical from the TV, and run Tidal Connect and make use of the high-res playback from there. Any recommendations. I could run to a used Naim ND5 XS2, but it would need to pass the 'other half' test and not need an app in order to make sure it switches to the optical input to make the TV audio playback, or at the very least, default to it when turned on.

You're using a TV as a audio streamer?

Soldato
nothing special, but new TV in, its a lot smaller but all-round a more "feature packed" one.

wgv13VM.jpg

6pU3VEg.jpg

Associate
Emby, 5920, X99, 16GB, 1070Ti, 1x NVME, 10x20TB SATA for media/transcoding
7800X3D, AM5, 64GB, 4090 for gaming.
Epson EH-LS12000B
Yamaha RX-A6A
B&W 623 theatre
La-Z-Boy chairs

Loving the LS1200B+4090 for bright fluid 120Hz projector gaming

Associate
Hey, what log cabin/summer house is that?

How do you find it in the winter etc?

I'm wanting to do similar but don't know what's OTT or not
It's a Barbados 6. Winter is fine with a simple heater. Summer usually need an air conditioner - ive got a portable one (last photo on the left), and works well.

Soldato
Had these a couple of months now, Fyne Audio F502's. When I first got the speakers they were fatiguing, however they have settled in and the fatiguing issue has gone. Running these on a Yamaha A-S1200 and they are very well matched.

Anyhow here is a photo of one of them :D.

AP1GczNHxszFIwU051XAcdqUUqCUWU3rgxPhKuFtvAO8Eb5XDt0pKkOrYEJP-DmxS61qkzkcT-qE1-tYRUF0B-46BYSiSGkpWFscV-ul-GXrASH1VLA4C5tIOwPNoJ1bI2htkYB9KoKCJcJMjEUncOPx9YTI=w668-h890-s-no-gm

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be interested to know how hot your Yamaha gets when bi-wired compared to single wired.

I've not monitored the temps, however when the amp is on along time (some times 8 hours or more), I'm not nothing any excessive temps. The Yamaha A-S1200 has always got warm, the most heat comes in area of 4 large capacitors in the centre of it.

Also if you want a comparison between speaker cable setups.

This is Kimber 4VS in bi-wire

This is single run of 4mm DCSK, with factory metal jumpers in place.

I'm not going to say what I think sounds best, but people can listen and judge for themselves. Both videos taken on a Nokia X10 smartphone. Also this is streaming from Amazon Music HD playing via my HTPC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom