• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Power consumption and efficiency in gaming: AMD vs Intel

Caporegime
They paid MSI to make a piece of ____ handheld just so they can carry it around with them to say "look, someone trusts us with Handheld Gaming"

Too much taxpayers stolen money to throw around and see what sticks.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it is, i think Intel will fight tooth and nail for every penny in every segment.

Nvidia have no skin in this.

Nvidia have an interest in undermining AMD. That said a lot of Nvidia guys are now at Intel, so possibly they have taken that culture with them.

Soldato
Sorry to resurrect this thread but it is pretty useful.
Looking at an UNRAID setup to use a setup with decent NVME support I will need to go for a non embedded CPU + with a decent integrated iGPU.

It looks like the i3-13100 or i3-14100 fit that bill + have the low idle power consumption. Is there a comprehensive comparison of idle CPU power consumption anywhere about (I have looked).

(I actually have the option of a cheap 5700G which might fit the bit going by the OPs video), it just doesnt play as nice/as powerful for Plex transcoding.

Thanks for the help - from your help I gathered that modern CPU's pretty much all have low idle states so I went with whatever deal I could get for the money so I snagged a 13500T for £130 which was a good deal I thought.

A bit worried about idle state going by some commentary about some configurations not allowing idle state, I shall be testing the power draw...

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the help - from your help I gathered that modern CPU's pretty much all have low idle states so I went with whatever deal I could get for the money so I snagged a 13500T for £130 which was a good deal I thought.

A bit worried about idle state going by some commentary about some configurations not allowing idle state, I shall be testing the power draw...

I’m not sure about the 13500T but I did fall for the 12700T marketing. Was a pretty disappointing chip in terms of power use and performance. I sent it back, and went with a vanilla 12700 that was on offer, the performance is decent for what I paid, but the 65watt TDP is again complete lies. The power is triple what Intel claim.

Man of Honour
Can be a bit of a 'mare with some PCs to hit the lower states, from what I'm aware, most importantly you need supported SSD/NVME and LAN/wireless drivers, along with the BIOS support to expose those options.

Caporegime
I’m not sure about the 13500T but I did fall for the 12700T marketing. Was a pretty disappointing chip in terms of power use and performance. I sent it back, and went with a vanilla 12700 that was on offer, the performance is decent for what I paid, but the 65watt TDP is again complete lies. The power is triple what Intel claim.

Rule of thumb, Whatever Intel advertise as TDP in the most visible sense, triple it...

Back
Top Bottom